Built new system, sound comes and goes

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Okay, as the thread says, I built this new system (specs below) and am having issues with the sound. I did get the sound going on day two (so speakers and at least one of the sound ports work) but now can't get anything. I tried to download the driver for the mobo audio from Asus, but when I run it, I get to about the third screen of the installer and the button that says "Next" is grayed out and won't let me continue. I haven't added or done anything to the system since getting the sound to work - no more hardware or even software, the sound was the last thing I set up.

Any suggestions?

System:
Asus Crosshair IV Formula AM3 motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition CPU
XFX Radeon HD 5850 video card
Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/s internal hard drive
Asus Black 24x DVD Burner
G.Skill 2x2GB SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) memory
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w power supply
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50 R case

Solution
In the Start Menu search box type in: update drivers
and choose Update Device Drivers. When the Device Manager screen opens find your Sound, Video and Game controllers section.
In there choose your audio/sound device and right mouse click, and choose Update Driver Software. Let it search automatically. It should pull a driver off the internet for you.
In the Start Menu search box type in: update drivers
and choose Update Device Drivers. When the Device Manager screen opens find your Sound, Video and Game controllers section.
In there choose your audio/sound device and right mouse click, and choose Update Driver Software. Let it search automatically. It should pull a driver off the internet for you.

Solution

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

No, doesn't come and go in waves. I got the sound working one night, and the next day (after having shut down for the night, I think I even moved the speaker plug into other ports trying just to see) and the next day I couldn't get the sound back.

I'll try this trick when I get home tonight. I dislike letting the computer do the thinking for me, but I guess since the driver off the manufacturers page isn't working, it's time to go to plan b.

I'll let you know how it goes.

TRENDING THREADS