Sign in with
Your question

4870 Poor Benchmarking Performance?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 29, 2010 6:43:54 PM

Hi,

As I am only an occasional hardware tinkerer, I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any ideas on the apparent poor performance of my new 4870 card when running 3dMark06?

My old card was a 7900GS and this managed to score around 4700 with my current setup, (which for the record I will disclose below), which is somewhat better than the score of 4207 disclosed at 3DMark.co.uk.

The same site gives a Gainward 512MB Radeon 4870 a 3dMark06 score of 14341, (I am presuming with the same setup?), so it was disappointing when I only managed to notch up scores hovering around 7500 with my brand spanking new 1GB Sapphire HD4870.

I am using the same setup as for my 7900GS and have downloaded the latest ATI Drivers, (Catalyst Control Centre). Any ideas would be more than welcome, and for the record my setup is as follows:

500W Seasonic PSU
Asus P5WD2-E Premium Motherboard
Pentium D805 Dual Core 2.66 GHz, overclocked to 3.3 GHz
Scythe Mini Ninja CPU Cooler
Sapphire Radeon HD4870 1GB Graphics Card
2 GB Corsair XMS2 PC-5300 Memory, (soon to be replaced with4 GB OCZ PC-6400)
2x250GB Samsung Spinpoint HDDs

Apart from the 4870 I put this lot together about 3 years ago, and am just giving it a 'mid life'(!) spruce up.

Once again if anyone has any ideas it will be a great help.

Cheers
a c 125 U Graphics card
April 29, 2010 6:54:32 PM

Your CPU is seriously bottlenecking your GPU's performance.

Also 3DMark06 is not a good way to check system performance, Why not try out some games. 3DMark06 is heavily CPU dependent.
a b U Graphics card
April 29, 2010 7:20:01 PM

I think the 14K score you saw for the 4870 was achieved using a different base setup (CPU/RAM) than the scores reported for the 7900GS. Those cards are generations apart.

I agree synthetic benchmarks are not a good way to check performance, as actual performance in most games will not mirror performance attained in 3DMark tests.
Related resources
April 29, 2010 7:35:49 PM

Thanks for the input guys. As long as I know it's not the card or or settings etc ... I'm not a great gamer but am having the occasional bit of time on Oblivion so I will see how it goes. From all the postings you see in relation to benchmarking I was just expecting to this card post a much higher score in relation to the old 7900 GS. But as you say it's all about the 'real world', (well virtual world in any case!), and not synthetic marking.

Cheers
April 29, 2010 7:40:54 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Your CPU is seriously bottlenecking your GPU's performance.

Also 3DMark06 is not a good way to check system performance, Why not try out some games. 3DMark06 is heavily CPU dependent.

As a matter of interest, if I were to keep everything else, (which I have to!), what would be a good cpu to match with the Asus (socket 775) motherboard?
a b U Graphics card
April 29, 2010 8:46:00 PM

Make sure you wipe the old Nvidia drivers with drive sweeper, and do a clean install of ATI drivers.

Besides that, yes, you have a large CPU bottleneck.
April 29, 2010 9:39:08 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
Make sure you wipe the old Nvidia drivers with drive sweeper, and do a clean install of ATI drivers.

Besides that, yes, you have a large CPU bottleneck.

Thanks, I hadn't deinstalled the Nvidia drivers, and I suppose I need to think about a new cpu.
a b U Graphics card
April 29, 2010 10:26:43 PM

Why do you care about synthetics..!!.. Just play few games such as FarCry 2, Crysis Warhead etc at the same settings used in various websites and benchmark using fraps.. Then compare your results with them and you'd get a much neater picture.. If you can, change your CPU to a C2Q 9550.. That's the best CPU available for the LGA 775 socket and will serve you well for sometime to come..
a b U Graphics card
April 29, 2010 10:57:14 PM

As for a CPU upgrade for that machine, it all depends on your budget. You could go as low as ~$50 for a Core2 Duo E3300 Wolfdale, or closer to $300 dollars on a Core2 Quad Q9550...

I'd recommend a minimum of an E5400 or E6500, which can be had for $70 and $80 respectively at Newegg.com.
April 30, 2010 4:06:34 AM

Pentium D's are the best CPUs your board will support:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=jdZmrTyuJWpfdnA3
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

You already have a good CPU cooler, so there isn't any point in replacing that. Just try to OC your 805 a bit further if you need performance.

Try games though. With the new GPU, try some games out. It should still run faster than your old setup. Look for alterative ways to get performance if you are having problems with your game settings or frame rates.
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2010 4:32:49 AM

Bah, I looked up P5WDH, which has support for Wolfdale and Yorkfield CPUs...

Sorry.
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2010 4:57:55 AM

tom3949 said:
Thanks, I hadn't deinstalled the Nvidia drivers, and I suppose I need to think about a new cpu.

Yep, you'll get a good fps boost after you completely clean out Nvidia drivers with drive sweeper and do a clean ATI driver install...
April 30, 2010 7:26:08 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's much appreciated. I'm going to mull over whether to keep the board and change the CPU or go for a new board and cpu, i3 or Phenom Quad core perhaps. I think I may be able to scrounge up £200 or so to give the new 4870 the 'backup' it deserves.

Thanks again.
!