Is it possible in the future we produce an applications that have a st

michaelagy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
is it possible in the future we produce an applications that have a storage capacity in exabyte?
and what is the example of the application?

i need your opinion =)

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
In the future, definitely. People 10 years ago would have thought a terrabyte as impossibly large.

Now talking from a professional standpoint, I work with GIS (geospatial information systems) and am the database manager at my company, and on occasion, I will have databases that top 1 TB. Its very uncommon and most of the time I find different options (because my IT people bitch that im taking up too much server space) but im talking about it taking county-wide, detailed data and high resolution aerial imagery to make a database that large.

On the other hand, LiDAR data (Light Detecting and Ranging) which consists of billions of data points can eaisly take up a few terrabytes of space...I think I have a 2 TB external hard drive floating around somewhere with filtered LiDAR data for Miami-Dade County.

Those are the heaviest applications I can think of, so you can draw your own conclusions from those examples.

Like I said, large databases.

Doh! Find your own answers OP.