My PC is acting weird - SSD breaking down?

So, I think my SSD in my four-month old PC is starting to break down. I was hoping someone could support my hypothesis and maybe offer some advice as to how to act on it.

It all started maybe a month ago when, upon starting up the PC, I got an error message saying: "Disk read error - Press Ctrl + Alt + Del." I hoped it was nothing but unfortunately it wasn't. This happened maybe twice or thrice before last Friday - the day when *** really started hitting the fan.

So, last Friday I got a new error message that told me that the PC had shut down unsuccessfully during the last time I tuned it off. Probably, due to a USB memory device that had been unplugged during the shutdown. This, however, was not the case as I hadn't unplugged anything of the sort at that time.

Yesterday, I started up my PC again and got both of the above-mentioned errors. I tried using the start-up repair tool but to no avail. When I got to the start-up screen after typing my password, the computer froze completely except for the mouse. I let him (yes, the PC) try and recover from this but it didn't help. I re-started the machine, started to back-up my most important files on that SSD and ran a whole PC scan for possible viruses. There shouldn't be one. I'm pretty careful with my PC and my anti-virus software is up-to-date. I can't be sure of course since the PC freezes before it can finish the scan, however.

The PC would freeze again at a random time and I would be forced to restart it. By this time, I would be getting a sequence of those two errors upon start-up but eventually I would always be able to start it up. Then a new symptom appeared. I wasn't able to run any program on my SSD but would get an error instead. This happened only during one up-time so I can't be sure but I think that all the programs on my HDD ran properly. All sounds also included some minor but irritating chatter and sputter even though I have a very good sound card. Maybe because the drivers of that sound card are installed on the SSD.

I ran the repair tool on my Win7 in hope of a brighter future but it only rarefied the cases of freezing - or then it was all just a coincidence.
So, here I am asking for guidance. Is my SSD done for or could this been caused by something entirely differrent?

Thanks in advance
-Mon4ro
5 answers Last reply
More about acting weird breaking down
  1. Copy your post and post a duplicate in the Storage section of the forum.
  2. Quote:
    Copy your post and post a duplicate in the Storage section of the forum.

Thanks for the tip!
  3. This topic has been moved from the section Systems to section Storage by Area51reopened
  4. Have you tried running windows repair?
  5. DarkOutlaw said:
    Have you tried running windows repair?

Yes, it didn't do much or anything for that matter.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage