Sign in with
Your question

Fastest Write HDD?

Last response: in Storage
July 24, 2012 3:38:13 PM

Which is the fastest HDD write speed for a 1TB 7200 HDD to buy right now? I've seen on the benchmarks and the Samsung barracudas seem to come out on top on write speed, But how come the barracuda's are cheaper than the Caviar blacks? I'm interested in high write speed to use as a secondary drive for fraps.

I dont know which one to buy for the max write i can get for fraps. Caviar blacks are more expensive then the "Highest write speed 7200rpm Barracuda's"

More about : fastest write hdd

July 24, 2012 4:23:04 PM

You might want to consider using a RAM disk if you have enough extra RAM (16-32GB), writing to RAM would be so much faster than a HDD or SSD...
July 24, 2012 4:42:55 PM

EnderWiggin said:
You might want to consider using a RAM disk if you have enough extra RAM (16-32GB), writing to RAM would be so much faster than a HDD or SSD...

Nah I dont wanna do that, I'd like a 1TB Drive so i can keep recording without needing to swap files from drive to drive.
Related resources
July 24, 2012 5:41:53 PM

I don't have any expertise in this area, only an opinion.

I believe that the various drives try to specialize in a particular function. Consider:

=on&prod[5357]=on]2tb Barracude vs WD Black

[05] Barracuda > Black :: max throughput

[08] Barracuda < Black :: access time (less is better)

So it would seem that Barracuda goes for max sequential speed and Black goes for random access read/writes.

Probably sequential is cheaper than random, since Blacks have dual action head.

Just my guess.

Comparison above didn't post: compare 2tb Barracuda to Black from the HHD page.
a b G Storage
July 24, 2012 6:10:18 PM

You might want to look into the 1TB 10K RPM VeolciRaptor HDD.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

A bit on the expensive side, however the speed alone is quite fast.

My next reccomendation would be the WD Caviar Black due to the dual actuator design as well as being 2TB.
July 24, 2012 6:20:39 PM

Chainzsaw said:
You might want to look into the 1TB 10K RPM VeolciRaptor HDD.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

A bit on the expensive side, however the speed alone is quite fast.

My next reccomendation would be the WD Caviar Black due to the dual actuator design as well as being 2TB.

Yeah you didnt exactly specify a price, but the VeolciRaptor's dominate HDD's. If you wanna save money just put two HDD in a raid 0 or raid 10 config and you will be fine.
a b G Storage
July 24, 2012 6:29:24 PM

The price can be found with your favourite electronics dealer. However the one I saw at newegg was about $320 (which is quite expensive for a HDD).

I also reccomend not going with RAID 0 or 10 or whatever, just for troubleshooting sake, and is easier for set up.
July 24, 2012 6:31:35 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Yeah you didnt exactly specify a price, but the VeolciRaptor's dominate HDD's. If you wanna save money just put two HDD in a raid 0 or raid 10 config and you will be fine.

I just want a single drive. And I dont wanna spend that much on a Velociraptor.
I dont understand why the Seagate Barracuda 1TB is only £68.00 when the Caviar black 1TB is £88.99 and the Read/Write of the Seagate is much better. Would the seagate be the better choice for fraps?
a b G Storage
July 24, 2012 8:19:12 PM

The seagate barracuda line has a 1 year warranty.

The WD Caviar Black has a 5 year warranty.

Is the 20 difference worth it to you in terms of warranty? If not, go for the cheaper Seagate.

If you consider the 20 difference a good investment for the extra 4 years - go for the WD Black.

Just be warned - if your seagate craps out after 1 year, you will not get a replacement.

Edit: By the way, any modern 7200RPM HDD is capable of writing FRAPS information easily.
July 25, 2012 11:59:07 AM

Chainzsaw said:
The seagate barracuda line has a 1 year warranty.

The WD Caviar Black has a 5 year warranty.

Is the 20 difference worth it to you in terms of warranty? If not, go for the cheaper Seagate.

If you consider the 20 difference a good investment for the extra 4 years - go for the WD Black.

Just be warned - if your seagate craps out after 1 year, you will not get a replacement.

Edit: By the way, any modern 7200RPM HDD is capable of writing FRAPS information easily.

My current other drive isnt modern its getting 70 Write which isnt enough for Full HD 1080p I need about 140-200 really, So i think the barracuda would be a better choice over teh caviar because of the higher write speed.
!