PC will POST, but crashes loading Windows followed by 4 beeps

qbowman

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
I just built a PC with this barebones kit:

Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H AMD 880G Socket AM3 MB

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8Ghz CPU

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB DDR3 PC10666 1333MHZ

HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

WD Caviar Green 1TB 64MB/SATA-3G

Ultra LSP750 750w Power Supply

The system booted and I installed Windows 7. During the normal restarts during installation, when the system tried to reboot, boot would fail and it would give me 4 beeps about 2 seconds in duration each and that repeated over and over until I shut off the system.

When I turned it on again, it booted fine and I finished installing Windows.

Now, whenever I try to load Windows, the system crashes ( I lose video) and I get the same 4 beeps. I removed the video card and used the onboard video, same problem.

I can go into BIOS setup after each boot, but as soon as I exit BIOS setup, it crashes and I get the 4 beeps.

I tried removing everything but the CPU. That gave me the same 4 beeps when I tried to power it on. I have two sticks of RAM, so I tried each by itself with monitor and keyboard - same issue with the beeps on Windows startup and on exit from BIOS setup.

I can't find anything online that explains Award BIOS code for 4 long beeps repeating.

It seems like maybe it is the motherboard or CPU. In BIOS it says the CPU is running at 41-42 C and the system temp is 33 C and CPU fan is 2436 rpm.

If anyone can help with this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS