Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Internet Question: Download vs Upload

Last response: in Networking
March 5, 2010 2:16:10 AM

Hey guys,

just wanted to know what i should do. I currently have ATT uverse at home running at 18MBPS download and 1.5MBPS upload @ 55 bucks a month,

I have a option to go with time warner cable internet that runs at max 15MBPS and 2.0 MBPS upload..

what does the upload really do? and going from 1.5 to 2.0 really going to change anything or should i just fork out the extra 10 bucks and stay with ATT?.. or going from 18 to 15 mbps download really going to matter?...

thanks in advance...

Best solution

March 5, 2010 3:15:39 AM

The increased upload speed is only going to help in those cases where you're moving data FROM your local network TO the Internet. For most ppl this traditionally hasn't been too important. But as you add local services (e.g., webserver, remote access server, VPN) the importance of the upload side increases. One place where it's having more importance than in the past is w/ online backup solutions (e.g., Carbonite). But even then, many of these solutions are highly throttled anyway (they know ppl typically have severe limits on the upload side and design that into the product).

So you just have to determine whether another 512kbps is all that important, AND at the loss of some download speed. Personally I think 1.5mbps is pretty good considering what I typically see (I have 0.75mbps and fine it sufficient). What peaks my interest is giving up 3mbps and saving $10 by switching to cable. I would probably do it because I know that for myself, that 3mbps isn’t going to be noticeable day to day. Heck, many (perhaps most) of the websites you’ll be downloading from will never come close to saturating 15mbps, let alone 18mbps.

But there’s one other thing to consider; AT&T U-verse is fiber optic. I’ve never used it, but I suspect you’ll see far more consistency and reliability w/ fiber-optic than cable. And it certainly has more potential than cable in the long run. But whether it’s worth keeping w/ only 18mbps (I would have expected more) is questionable. Fiber optic is sort of the wild card in this decision.

Anyway, it’s a purely personal decision based on your own needs and habits.

March 5, 2010 3:24:32 AM

Based on my experience, its not that important (upload)

95 percent of what people do on the internet involves downloading (browsing, watching videos, downloading files) and only use uploads when attaching files to your email or uploading videos (like in youtube)

In those seldom cases you need upload speed, 1.5mbps is fast enough.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2010 12:51:48 PM

Best answer selected by fbram.
m
l
March 5, 2010 12:53:59 PM

eibgrad said:
The increased upload speed is only going to help in those cases where you're moving data FROM your local network TO the Internet. For most ppl this traditionally hasn't been too important. But as you add local services (e.g., webserver, remote access server, VPN) the importance of the upload side increases. One place where it's having more importance than in the past is w/ online backup solutions (e.g., Carbonite). But even then, many of these solutions are highly throttled anyway (they know ppl typically have severe limits on the upload side and design that into the product).

So you just have to determine whether another 512kbps is all that important, AND at the loss of some download speed. Personally I think 1.5mbps is pretty good considering what I typically see (I have 0.75mbps and fine it sufficient). What peaks my interest is giving up 3mbps and saving $10 by switching to cable. I would probably do it because I know that for myself, that 3mbps isn’t going to be noticeable day to day. Heck, many (perhaps most) of the websites you’ll be downloading from will never come close to saturating 15mbps, let alone 18mbps.

But there’s one other thing to consider; AT&T U-verse is fiber optic. I’ve never used it, but I suspect you’ll see far more consistency and reliability w/ fiber-optic than cable. And it certainly has more potential than cable in the long run. But whether it’s worth keeping w/ only 18mbps (I would have expected more) is questionable. Fiber optic is sort of the wild card in this decision.

Anyway, it’s a purely personal decision based on your own needs and habits.

wow thank you soo much for your info... all im going to be doing really is downloading files and web surf... also use the connection for xbox live and online pc games... so i think im going to stick with ATT. again thanks so much for your awnser now i can really make my decision without regret. regards!
m
l
!