SONY monitor randomly displays ETI information box

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcarl

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[In order to post, I was forced to pick a sub-category. I selected "graphics cards" although I have NO idea if this problem has to do with the card or not]

Greetings,

I need help for a SONY monitor; the "information" message pops-up all day long. Goes away with a monitor restart.

My sweetie has a SONY SDM-HS95 plugged-into her machine running XP Pro, more details below.

For about 2 weeks now, and at random times, the monitor's "information" box appears with the following data: "ETI: 09562 H". When the box appears, sometimes it's the same number, and sometimes numbers progress to the next one. I started noting the time for the most recent four entries. Here's what I have collected so far:

ETI: 09562 H
ETI: 09564 H
ETI: 09565 H
ETI: 09566 H - 5:40 PM
ETI: 09567 H - 5:41 PM
ETI: 09568 H - 5:44 PM
ETI: 09569 H - 6:54 PM

It is definitely a message generated by the monitor because 1) the graphics match others shown in the manual (which I have actually read), and 2) taking a screen shot appears to be impossible...(I did bust out my camera and take a shot)

While searching online for any possible clue of an answer (SONY online 'chat' was useless), I see that for some of their products (camcorders?), ETI stands for 'elapsed time information' or something like that...though what I found was not specific to a monitor....so, I remain....clueless.

I sent her to the SONY site; she downloaded and installed the latest driver (from something like 2004). It appears that all the information from 'before' and 'after the recent driver installation, information shown in System Information, remained the same as if no new driver was installed. (Yes, she restarted afterwards. Maybe when we installed this monitor a few months ago either she, I, or Windows found the right driver). The monitor was in service and working fine until about a week ago. Generally, the monitor is OK, it's just this pesky box...

Device Manager\Monitors correctly lists: SONY SDM HS95

Right clicking the SONY SDM HS95 entry yields two drivers:
C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color\HS95_L65.icm
C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color\HS95_L93.icm

I am not sure which of these two is being used.

System Information\components\display shows everything at the bottom of this post.

I let the Windows Driver Wizard loose on the internet to see if it could locate a better driver. It was not able to.

I'd love to know what these information (dialog) messages are supposed to mean and how to 'fix' them because it's a bother to have to either hit the display's menu button or power button to get rid of them so she can work for a while longer....(for anything from a few minutes to 45 minutes)

I wonder how to confirm if the driver actually got installed.

Your thoughts and help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, again...

drcarl

----------------------

XP Pro OS

----------------------

Name Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
PNP Device IDPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&SUBSYS_42468086&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&10
Adapter Type Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Adapter RAM 64.00 MB (67,108,864 bytes)
Installed Drivers ialmrnt5.dll
Driver Version 6.13.01.3485
INF File oem5.inf (iSPDG section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF7FFFFFF
Memory Address 0xFFA80000-0xFFAFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000EC00-0x0000EC07
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ialmnt5.sys (6.13.01.3485, 88.28 KB (90,395 bytes), 10/29/2003 3:33 PM)
846295024_MkofU-S.jpg

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Too bad the monitor's no longer under warrenty, for future reference the Intel does not count as a graphics card, it's an IGP, a small chip that came with the motherboard. I would ask does the box still appear if you lower the resolution or increase the refresh rate. Either way I suspect the computer and monitor is a little too old for active support as like you said the last monitor update was from 2004. Here's Intel's last drivers for the IGP, it's from 2007.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=9498&lang=eng

drcarl

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
mister g,

thank you for your suggestions. I tried all possible refresh rates with all resolutions. I found it a little interesting that there were different refresh rates with different resolutions. it's now on 60; one setting I saw had 60. 72 & 75. ANYway...still have the problem.

At the moment, we are awaiting to see if from the "on" state, pressing the power and menu button simultaneously wards off the evil spirits. We are going on 5 minutes now and no box. The has HAS been re-appearing in seconds now. [It came back after 6 minutes :( ]

Now, about the link to the "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (exe)." First, thank you for that. Second, what do I need to check to make absolutely sure that this file/driver is a good fit for her machine? Is there a way to have her motherboard check for updated drivers? If not, after somehow verifying that this Intel file goes with her equipment, what do I do? I image the link has instructions...(could that possible 'fix' things?)

Again, thank you greatly for considering this annoying problem. (hope you are not offended by my wanting to verify compatibility)

drcarl

PS - Intel's install instructions say "The system must contain one of the following Intel Chipsets:" -then has a list. I wonder where to verify her chipset?

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
It should work, I typed in your video chipset from the data you provided and looked up the correct drivers, Intel's software is designed to work across a lot of chips, not just your own. Also the graphics chip on your chipset is very old, such that Intel stopped supporting it about three years ago. I would suggest you follow the install instructions and may I suggest you add a graphics card to your system?

drcarl

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Interesting...add a graphics card...I am thinking she needs a new HD or two...(RAID-I system with HD's that are 6? 7? years old?)...might add a real graphics card at the same time. She uses it to telecommute. I'll go run the Intel update(s). Thank you.

Dr Carl

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
In my opinion it would be time to replace the monitor with something new, but that's just me. As for the graphics card it's not only for games if you get a newer card and Flash playe 10.1 video playing work could be dumped on the card to give your CPU a little breather, it would also decode HD content if you ever want to stream online or from a new Blu-ray drive.

G

I'm having a very similar problem here. My SDM-HS95P started behaving like drcarl described just yesterday.
I can't open the menu or change the brightness or the screen or anything, as whenever I touch a button on the monitor, an "ETI blah blah" message pops up, forcing me to switch the monitor off and then on again to get rid of it.

This is happening of a Win7 64 OS with an NVidia GTX 260 graphics card.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Like I said the sheer age of the monitor, in all likelness if you bought it over three years ago the warrenty is already gone. Really it could be an error code but you would have to ask Sony, I don't own that monitor at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.