SSD Problem's ! Real or Fake

prototype18

Distinguished
Hi guys !

I keep reading on newegg on different SSD that they most of the time RMA it . What is happening ? Are those SSD so faulty ?

I was planning to buy a OCZ Agility 3 90 Gb for 40 $. But reading such a review made me think twice.

Should i buy it or no ?

I think crucial, Intel, and samsung are better bets. Read this article on component return rates:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/862-7/components-returns-rates-6.html

Intel 520 is good.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
the problem with purchasing ebay stems the underlying reason why it exists.

What is the purpose of ebay? Why do people buy from there compared to somewhere else?

The answer is because people hope to buy things cheaper.

Then why are things cheaper?

Most likely there is some factor where the seller has saved some money somewhere to pass the savings onto you. Whether the item has some grey background, or perhaps it is the same as others, but less warranty or other

A person that buys an SSD wants reliability as their main principle factor. It is not a commodity that is interchangeable and you buy once and quickly use up, but something that needs to last with sometimes HIGH costs of failure (at a minimum the time to rebuild and re-setup your computer . At a maximum, lost data which could be extremely vital).

I had Memorycard which recorded an irreplaceable wedding video.
Somehow the index for the video (h.264) did not write properly so the video was unplayable and unrecoverable and no conventional video recovery tools existed that would work to recover it.

I gladly paid $150 to a technical video service who was able to rebuild the index somewhat algorithmically and somewhat by hand. That is an example of lost data.

It is not value if you get a harddrive that is superfast and super cheap but dies on you in a week.

Getting the cheapest cost version of the product does not jive with the perspective of reliability.

So that is the reason why people don't buy hard drives from ebay.

prototype18

Distinguished
Ok i got it . But i dont think i can buy a 60 GB Agi 3 for 220 USD at my country. Its way to overpriced.

Ebay is my only option as i live in Albania. The seller has 100% feedback and 3000+

On e-bay, know your seller, and why they are selling.

If it is an individual with a good feedback, you can often get a good deal.
I use e-bay to market my old parts when I upgrade. I describe them accurtely, which you must do for used parts.

On the other hand, there are selllers who are in the business, trying to make a profit. They as a rule can't buy parts much cheaper, if at all, than the big online retailers. And there, I think you do take your chances.
Know your prices if you buy from them.

If I were selling a Intel 520 120gb SSD, I would be doing so to make way for a 180gb or 240gb ssd.
I would make known what the life expectancy of the unit was via the Intel ssd toolbox.

And lastly, any used, and some new items will have a 14 day money back guarantee.
If you pay with paypal, you are reasonably well protected.

prototype18

Distinguished
The item is totaly new. Unopened from box and seller is individual.He sells PC hardware and all positive feedback. Used are usually cheaper but there are also refurbished for low price. He isnt selling 1 of them . Thats why i think i can buy from this

TRENDING THREADS