Closed

[SOLVED] How to home network windows 7 ubuntu

how do i home network windows 7 and ubuntu?

*edited to include 'solved' in title.
15 answers Last reply
More about solved home network windows ubuntu
  1. With a router.
  2. i've updated everything, running win7 x64 on desktop; on my laptop i have a dual boot win7 and mint 8 both x64.

i've been surfing the net for this answer for days now. problem is, when i attempt to access my network from my laptop using mint 8, it asks for name and password. i put this in, and the windows pops up again as if it was incorrect. in other words it wont accept my name and password.

however, if i reboot my laptop and log in with win7, the same process results in my being able to access my network just fine. so why does the name/password work when im in win7 but not in mint 8?
  3. How are you trying to connect via Mint? Are you trying to connect to an "NFS" share or to an "SMB" share? Windows uses SMB typically (aka Samba) where as UNIX / Linux uses NFS (network file shares). You may also want to try using your username as "<windows_computername\<windows_username>". Sometimes Windows likes you to specify what you're attempting to auth against... in this case it would be the local windows host. Normally this is only needed in an AD / Domain situation, but worth a shot here too.
  4. Brian_tii said:
    How are you trying to connect via Mint? Are you trying to connect to an "NFS" share or to an "SMB" share? Windows uses SMB typically (aka Samba) where as UNIX / Linux uses NFS (network file shares). You may also want to try using your username as "<windows_computername\<windows_username>". Sometimes Windows likes you to specify what you're attempting to auth against... in this case it would be the local windows host. Normally this is only needed in an AD / Domain situation, but worth a shot here too.

actually, installing samba some hours ago was was allowed me to get to the point i am now. before that all i got was errors. here's what it currently looks like...

when i enter in the information, it will disappear, then reappear again only seconds later... as if to imply my previous info was wrong.

i tried entering my name/computer name - and vice versa computer name/username (both in the 'username' field) as well, neither of them worked. thanks for the recommendations though.
  5. Have you looked at your Windows Security Log? Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Event Viewer -> Security (might be different depending on version)

See if you have any logs there... if not crank up your local security policy to do more auditing on log in failures, etc.. See if you can get more details as to why Windows is failing to auth you. Are you sure you're in "Workgroup"?
  6. Brian_tii said:
    Have you looked at your Windows Security Log? Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Event Viewer -> Security (might be different depending on version)

See if you have any logs there... if not crank up your local security policy to do more auditing on log in failures, etc.. See if you can get more details as to why Windows is failing to auth you. Are you sure you're in "Workgroup"?

first, yeah.... im definitely in workgroup. as for the microsoft event viewer, when i initially tried to view it, it wasn't running. further attempts to initially start it back up the easy way failed. i had to find directions on this page to get it up and running...

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/110886-event-viewer-error-4201-a.html

im nothing if not resourceful. anyway, did all that, started the win7 desktop back up and searched through the event viewer to find: nothing. so i tried several attempts at getting in with my laptop again... same thing... nada. and no logs on the event viewer either. which leads me to believe one thing.... my win7 desktop has no clue that my laptop is even trying. or at least that's my thoughts.

remember, one of the most important clues to this problem is the fact that i can dual boot this laptop in win7, and that win7(laptop) to win7(desktop) connection is fine. it's the laptop mint 8 to desktop win7 that is the problem.

my ultimate goal at the beginning of my linux experience (im only a week old) was an attempt to leave the garbage of windows completely behind. so far, i dont see that happening any time soon.

tnx for the help though, and any other considerations you have i will definately try, but linux has beat me up again and i need a night to rest. so far linux has won 7 rounds, i've won zero lol.
  7. Haha yeah IMHO Linux is about useless for a desktop OS... in the end you ALWAYS have to end up booting Windows or Mac OS for SOMETHING that linux doesn't do. (I LOVE Linux as a server with no GUI however, I just think it's missing it's mark on the desktop side unless you have very limited needs)

If you think you're getting blocked on your outbound traffic from Linux you could try the following though from the command line:

sudo su

iptables -L --line-numbers -v (This will print your iptables firewall rules, I doubt you're getting blocked but if you were it would be part of the outbound chain)

tcpdump -i <your_interface_maybe_eth1> host <your_windows_IP>

Once you have the tcpdump running attempt the communciation again... if you see a syn packets leaving with the windows box's IP as the dest, and nothing back then Windows likely isn't responding... maybe Windows firewall, etc. If you see syn, syn ack, ack, then and then some traffic and then it fails then the two are communicating but you're probably failing log in or something similar.

Essentially the tcpdump will tell you if they are in fact talking at all. If they are talking then you gotta figure out why they aren't agreeing / letting you in... if they aren't well then you gotta figure that on out too.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
  8. complete edit*

i will be re-attempting to work out this problem after some sleep. i finally scored a victory in another area of linux, and now have some more time to devote to this problem. :-)
  9. ok first of all, sorry for waiting so long to get back. spring break has a tendency to distract :-)

anyway, i figured out what was wrong after trying different things recommended for others on separate forums. in the end here's what i did to fix it...

on my windows 7 desktop i uninstalled 'windows live id sign in assistant.'

now it works. what? that's it? yep, that's it. thanks, windows, for making this entire process straight up stupid. im just glad it works now. hope this helps anyone else who reads this.
  10. Thank you very much for this information :bounce:

I had the same problem as you, on a ubuntu 9.10 rig. Uninstalled the windows live id sign in assistant on Win 7, and voila!! i could connect to the windows share :??:

Again, thank you very much for the time efford to tell how you fixed the problem. Its people like you and everyone on these forums that make the possibility for the linux community to expand and work.
  11. im glad to see the solution of my problems being able to help someone else out :-) im still learning too. linux really has a great community when it comes to helping each other. linux is the future... after all, look what android has done with the mobile market lol.
  12. I've got the same problem, but I don't even have "Windows Live ID Sign In Assistant" on my computer, so I can't remove it >.<
    The other issue is, I don't want to break my MSN install (as crazy as that sounds).

Any ideas?
  13. Yea, same here. Updated Windows Live recently to Windows Live 2011 (in Windows 7) and there is no 'Windows Live Sign In Assistant' in the Uninstall Programs listing. I have tried a number of things, including using the Windows Live userid and password information that we are using on the Windows computer , but no joy. Any other ideas? The domain/workgroup name is the same on the Ubuntu system and the Windows 7 systems. As far as I know, there are no passwords set for login for any of the users on the Windows systems - only for the Windows Live stuff. Any help would be appreciated to this Ubuntu newbie.
  14. you guys might want to post a new thread. im still a newbie too and i dont see anyone helping you guys out. try a new thread and maybe you'll get some pro's who can help ya.
  15. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Ubuntu Networking