New Hardware wizard displays after every boot

I have installed a printer on my Windows XP machine. After every boot, the
new hardware wizard displays, saying it has found the printer.

I am using the latest available drivers for this older HP printer. The HP
instructions acknowledge that their installation wizard shows an error even
though the printer installs and runs successfully.

I scanned the MS knowledge base and found KB298370. I tried that process but
was unable to delete the LPTENUM key specified in that procedure. Even if I
could delete it, I suspect I'd have the same problem because when I
reinstalled I would encounter the same error in the printer installation.

My question: Is there any way to make the New Hardware wizard stop
displaying for this printer?

Thanks for your help.

What is the Model # of the HP Printer? HP is telling you that the
driver was not successfully installed. XP may have it's
own HP driver for your Model.