Sign in with
Your question

Do i need a new faster HDD

Last response: in Storage
July 25, 2012 3:11:47 AM

I am building a new computer and i need advice on a hdd. i have an old Hitachi 1TB HDD that is 3gb/s. do i need a faster one?

More about : faster hdd

July 25, 2012 3:15:58 AM

3gb/s vs. 6gb/s is actually a pretty small visible difference. However, it depends a lot on what you plan on doing with your computer. The only scenario I can imagine justifying the need to purchase a whole new drive for the added speed is if you were a video producer, or anything where you're moving and/or altering large files on a regular basis.
tl;dr Don't bother spending more on a new drive unless you work as a video editor or something along those lines.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 25, 2012 3:30:43 AM

It's actually no difference as a mechanical hdd can't fill a SATA 3.0 bus. They can barely fill a SATA 1.5 bus. If the current hdd is fast enough for you, then stay with it.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 25, 2012 4:27:51 AM

Only You can answer whether or not you NEED one, but you can definitely benefit from getting an SSD and using it as a boot drive. I suggest you do that.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 25, 2012 4:31:40 AM

anyone above who says don't buy a new harddrive doesn't have an SSD.

If you are building a new computer, why are you building a new computer as compared to just upgrading or keeping what you had?

If you are going through the trouble to build a new faster computer, you should be considering a SSD in your build.
m
l
July 25, 2012 4:57:42 AM

raytseng said:
anyone above who says don't buy a new harddrive doesn't have an SSD.

If you are building a new computer, why are you building a new computer as compared to just upgrading or keeping what you had?

If you are going through the trouble to build a new faster computer, you should be considering a SSD in your build.

The OP didn't say anything about the specs of his old build, for all we know it could b a computer thats running Win 95.

SSD's are not the end all to be all, especially at their price. They are good, but not essential (and yes I have one).

Wildperson has the right answer OP. You won't see a noticeable difference if you purchase a 6gb/s HDD vs your current HDD unless you are video editing, therefore you don't need to buy a new HDD.

As long as your not running out of space on your current HDD, you don't need a new one.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 25, 2012 6:28:03 AM

Video editing doesn't change anything. Mechanical drives can barely go faster then SATA 1.5. If your mechanical drive can only transfer at 135MB/s, then it doesn't matter if its on SATA1.5, 3.0, or 6.0.

As mentioned if you need speed, then get an SSD. Otherwise it doesn't really matter much.
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:37:35 AM

trainmaster2000 said:
I am building a new computer and i need advice on a hdd. i have an old Hitachi 1TB HDD that is 3gb/s. do i need a faster one?

Get an SSD for a boot drive and use that as your app drive. You'll never regret it.
m
l
!