Do i need a new faster HDD

I am building a new computer and i need advice on a hdd. i have an old Hitachi 1TB HDD that is 3gb/s. do i need a faster one?
7 answers Last reply
More about faster
  1. 3gb/s vs. 6gb/s is actually a pretty small visible difference. However, it depends a lot on what you plan on doing with your computer. The only scenario I can imagine justifying the need to purchase a whole new drive for the added speed is if you were a video producer, or anything where you're moving and/or altering large files on a regular basis.
    tl;dr Don't bother spending more on a new drive unless you work as a video editor or something along those lines.
  2. It's actually no difference as a mechanical hdd can't fill a SATA 3.0 bus. They can barely fill a SATA 1.5 bus. If the current hdd is fast enough for you, then stay with it.
  3. Only You can answer whether or not you NEED one, but you can definitely benefit from getting an SSD and using it as a boot drive. I suggest you do that.
  4. anyone above who says don't buy a new harddrive doesn't have an SSD.

If you are building a new computer, why are you building a new computer as compared to just upgrading or keeping what you had?

If you are going through the trouble to build a new faster computer, you should be considering a SSD in your build.
  5. raytseng said:
    anyone above who says don't buy a new harddrive doesn't have an SSD.

If you are building a new computer, why are you building a new computer as compared to just upgrading or keeping what you had?

If you are going through the trouble to build a new faster computer, you should be considering a SSD in your build.

The OP didn't say anything about the specs of his old build, for all we know it could b a computer thats running Win 95.

SSD's are not the end all to be all, especially at their price. They are good, but not essential (and yes I have one).

Wildperson has the right answer OP. You won't see a noticeable difference if you purchase a 6gb/s HDD vs your current HDD unless you are video editing, therefore you don't need to buy a new HDD.

As long as your not running out of space on your current HDD, you don't need a new one.
  6. Video editing doesn't change anything. Mechanical drives can barely go faster then SATA 1.5. If your mechanical drive can only transfer at 135MB/s, then it doesn't matter if its on SATA1.5, 3.0, or 6.0.

As mentioned if you need speed, then get an SSD. Otherwise it doesn't really matter much.
  7. Anonymous said:
    I am building a new computer and i need advice on a hdd. i have an old Hitachi 1TB HDD that is 3gb/s. do i need a faster one?

Get an SSD for a boot drive and use that as your app drive. You'll never regret it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Hitachi Computer Storage Product