Simple way to connect a laptop to a desktop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 15, 2004 10:25:34 PM

I have two computers - a laptop and a desktop. I also
purchased a wireless network device from NetGear
and love using it. The only problem is that i'd like them
to communicate "directly". As in - without using the
internet. The way it is now, i e-main stuff from one to
the other (or burn them on a DVD).

So, how do i connect my laptop and desktop using the
wireless device from NetGear (and without buying any
more junk - my economy is mostly dead since i'm a
student with bad habits, hehe).

--

Kindly
Konrad

Sleep - thing used by ineffective people
as a substitute for coffee

Ambition - a poor excuse for not having
enough sense to be lazy
a b D Laptop
October 15, 2004 10:25:35 PM

Konrad Den Ende wrote:
> I have two computers - a laptop and a desktop. I also
> purchased a wireless network device from NetGear
> and love using it. The only problem is that i'd like them
> to communicate "directly". As in - without using the
> internet. The way it is now, i e-main stuff from one to
> the other (or burn them on a DVD).
>
> So, how do i connect my laptop and desktop using the
> wireless device from NetGear (and without buying any
> more junk - my economy is mostly dead since i'm a
> student with bad habits, hehe).

You'd have to provide a lot more data to make that judgement. What model
NetGear device are you using? What actual type of device is it? Actually,
you must have more than one device to communicate unless you're connecting
to an existing wireless network--a card in your laptop, and a Wireless
Access Point of some sort. If you have the above, purchase a wireless card,
or USB wireless unit for your desktop and install the drivers. There are
other ways, but without knowing your complete configuration (equipment,
Operating System, proximity of the two computers, proximity of the desktop
to the WAP, etc) there is no way to give a pat answer.

jak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 15, 2004 10:25:35 PM

Konrad,

I guess you are leaving something out or I am missing something. If
both machines can connect to the net, you probably have a
hub/switch/router that connect both to the web access.

Why don't you just configure the network you have? Then you could even
map drives, but even if you don't you can still see to other drives if
you enable sharing.

Matt

Konrad Den Ende wrote:

> I have two computers - a laptop and a desktop. I also
> purchased a wireless network device from NetGear
> and love using it. The only problem is that i'd like them
> to communicate "directly". As in - without using the
> internet. The way it is now, i e-main stuff from one to
> the other (or burn them on a DVD).
>
> So, how do i connect my laptop and desktop using the
> wireless device from NetGear (and without buying any
> more junk - my economy is mostly dead since i'm a
> student with bad habits, hehe).

a b D Laptop
October 16, 2004 2:31:45 AM

> I guess you are leaving something out or I am missing something. If
> both machines can connect to the net, you probably have a
> hub/switch/router that connect both to the web access.
>
> Why don't you just configure the network you have? Then you could
> even map drives, but even if you don't you can still see to other
> drives if you enable sharing.

Sorry if i was unclear. The situation is pretty much as you
guessed. I have a wireless router that is connected to the
ethernet (doh!, hehe) as well as to my desktop (using a cable
and to my laptop (using the "air"). I would like to "see" the
HDD of my desktop from my "little one".

The problem is that when i ran the wizard i got to know that
enabling the two computers to see eachother, i need to open
them to the net as well and that would make my network more
vulnerable to the outside agressors.

So, the real question is - can i configure the network above
in such a way that my big one and my small one are open to
eachother but closed to the outside?

--

Kindly
Konrad
May all spammers die an agonizing death; have no burial places;
their souls be chased by demons in Gehenna from one room to
another for all eternity and more.

Sleep - thing used by ineffective people
as a substitute for coffee

Ambition - a poor excuse for not having
enough sense to be lazy
a b D Laptop
October 16, 2004 2:31:46 AM

Konrad Den Ende wrote:
>>I guess you are leaving something out or I am missing something. If
>>both machines can connect to the net, you probably have a
>>hub/switch/router that connect both to the web access.
>>
>>Why don't you just configure the network you have? Then you could
>>even map drives, but even if you don't you can still see to other
>>drives if you enable sharing.
>

> Sorry if i was unclear. The situation is pretty much as you
> guessed. I have a wireless router that is connected to the
> ethernet (doh!, hehe) as well as to my desktop (using a cable
> and to my laptop (using the "air"). I would like to "see" the
> HDD of my desktop from my "little one".
>
> The problem is that when i ran the wizard i got to know that
> enabling the two computers to see eachother, i need to open
> them to the net as well and that would make my network more
> vulnerable to the outside agressors.
>
> So, the real question is - can i configure the network above
> in such a way that my big one and my small one are open to
> eachother but closed to the outside?

I don't know which wireless router you have, but you could probably
enable some firewall in the router that blocks external access to the
internal network computers, so that only your desktop can access the
laptop and vice versa.

Andre
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 16, 2004 2:31:46 AM

Konrad,
The common wireless routers available also have a built in hardware
firewall that should impeed (not absolutely prevent) attacks from
outside your network.

Look at the documentation, you may well have what you need, all you have
to do is turn it on.

Matt

Konrad Den Ende wrote:
>> I guess you are leaving something out or I am missing something. If
>> both machines can connect to the net, you probably have a
>> hub/switch/router that connect both to the web access.
>>
>> Why don't you just configure the network you have? Then you could
>> even map drives, but even if you don't you can still see to other
>> drives if you enable sharing.
>
> Sorry if i was unclear. The situation is pretty much as you
> guessed. I have a wireless router that is connected to the
> ethernet (doh!, hehe) as well as to my desktop (using a cable
> and to my laptop (using the "air"). I would like to "see" the
> HDD of my desktop from my "little one".
>
> The problem is that when i ran the wizard i got to know that
> enabling the two computers to see eachother, i need to open
> them to the net as well and that would make my network more
> vulnerable to the outside agressors.

I don't believe that you are opening them to the net any more by allowing
them to talk to each other; than by allowing each to see the net...set up
password protection on each resource which you let each 'see.' I assume
that you have Windows XP, which uses TCP-IP for all networking...perhaps you
could set up another protocol for the local network. In any case, the XP
firewall can be of service here, as well as the hardware firewall in your
router.

jak

> So, the real question is - can i configure the network above
> in such a way that my big one and my small one are open to
> eachother but closed to the outside?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 16, 2004 3:34:49 AM

> The common wireless routers available also have a built in hardware
> firewall that should impeed (not absolutely prevent) attacks from
> outside your network.
>
> Look at the documentation, you may well have what you need, all you
> have to do is turn it on.

I didn't think it was a possibility. I'll look into it first thing in
the morning. I hope it works and if not i'll be back whining. :)

Thanks to both of you.

--

Kindly
Konrad
May all spammers die an agonizing death; have no burial places;
their souls be chased by demons in Gehenna from one room to
another for all eternity and more.

Sleep - thing used by ineffective people
as a substitute for coffee

Ambition - a poor excuse for not having
enough sense to be lazy
October 16, 2004 3:34:50 AM

Because the router provides internal ip addresses to each device connected
to it, each device is effectively invisible to the internet. The internet
only sees the ip address of the router.
Terry

"Konrad Den Ende" <tmp1@viltersten.com> wrote in message
>> The common wireless routers available also have a built in hardware
>> firewall that should impeed (not absolutely prevent) attacks from
>> outside your network.
>>
>> Look at the documentation, you may well have what you need, all you
>> have to do is turn it on.
>
> I didn't think it was a possibility. I'll look into it first thing in
> the morning. I hope it works and if not i'll be back whining. :)
>
> Thanks to both of you.
>
> --
>
> Kindly
> Konrad
> May all spammers die an agonizing death; have no burial places;
> their souls be chased by demons in Gehenna from one room to
> another for all eternity and more.
>
> Sleep - thing used by ineffective people
> as a substitute for coffee
>
> Ambition - a poor excuse for not having
> enough sense to be lazy

a b D Laptop
October 16, 2004 5:50:25 AM

That will happen automatically if you simply configure them correctly.

But we need a lot more information to help you. Full details on both
OS' and the network, plus software (OS) and configuration.

Konrad Den Ende wrote:

> I have two computers - a laptop and a desktop. I also
> purchased a wireless network device from NetGear
> and love using it. The only problem is that i'd like them
> to communicate "directly". As in - without using the
> internet. The way it is now, i e-main stuff from one to
> the other (or burn them on a DVD).
>
> So, how do i connect my laptop and desktop using the
> wireless device from NetGear (and without buying any
> more junk - my economy is mostly dead since i'm a
> student with bad habits, hehe).

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 16, 2004 5:54:51 AM

You are all set up to do what you want except for software configuration.

There is some risk in sharing the drives, but it's limited because of
the router -- it uses NAT and your computers do not have public IP
addresses, hence are not normally or easily accessible from the network.
Also, the router normally blocks the ports used by printer and file
sharing from acess from the internet (by default, but this can be altered).

take a look at www.practicallynetworked.com

The detailed instructions for configuration are too complex to go into,
and you haven't even given us more than about half of the necessary
information.

Konrad Den Ende wrote:

>>I guess you are leaving something out or I am missing something. If
>>both machines can connect to the net, you probably have a
>>hub/switch/router that connect both to the web access.
>>
>>Why don't you just configure the network you have? Then you could
>>even map drives, but even if you don't you can still see to other
>>drives if you enable sharing.
>

> Sorry if i was unclear. The situation is pretty much as you
> guessed. I have a wireless router that is connected to the
> ethernet (doh!, hehe) as well as to my desktop (using a cable
> and to my laptop (using the "air"). I would like to "see" the
> HDD of my desktop from my "little one".
>
> The problem is that when i ran the wizard i got to know that
> enabling the two computers to see eachother, i need to open
> them to the net as well and that would make my network more
> vulnerable to the outside agressors.
>
> So, the real question is - can i configure the network above
> in such a way that my big one and my small one are open to
> eachother but closed to the outside?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 4:19:34 AM