Motherboard only supports 2 fans?

wilson6488

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I just recently ordered all the components for my first homebuilt PC (see my thread at: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=286981&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0)

My parts have started arriving, and when I got my MOBO I instantly pulled out the manual and started reading...when I got to the part regarding the fan sockets it says theres a CPU, a FAN_1 and a FAN_2...does that mean it only supports 2 fans? My case has 4! Are there adapters that I need? Do I have to buy a new MOBO? If I do I'm gonna be pissed considering how 400 something people viewed my thread and nobody noticed this? I know I should have but I'm a newb, and I didn't know!

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!! :cry:

Solution

Yea 4 channel fan controllers usually fit into the 3.5 or 5.25 bay and can control each fan individually. I'm actually looking to purchase one at the moment too because my new rig is really loud with a total of 8 or 9 fans. I have 4 already plugged into my mobo but the other 4 or 5 (sometimes I don't use the one I twist tied onto my HD rack) are plugged directly into my PSU which gets really really loud. I've heard good things about the Scythe VFW display ones. For newer LCD ones you have to...

Lordy

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
er, only 3 views on your thread afaik.

no, your mobo only has fan controllers for 2 fans, but fans can be plugged into the PSU and it will work fine as well.

karma831

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Plugging your case fans directly into your PSU makes them run at full speed. Your fans will be pretty loud unless they're some amazingly quiet or low RPM ones. Consider getting a fan controller or snipping a wire on your fan to make them run at a lower voltage.

karma831

Distinguished
May 7, 2010

Yea 4 channel fan controllers usually fit into the 3.5 or 5.25 bay and can control each fan individually. I'm actually looking to purchase one at the moment too because my new rig is really loud with a total of 8 or 9 fans. I have 4 already plugged into my mobo but the other 4 or 5 (sometimes I don't use the one I twist tied onto my HD rack) are plugged directly into my PSU which gets really really loud. I've heard good things about the Scythe VFW display ones. For newer LCD ones you have to look directly straight at the numbers to be able to read it. However they're supposed to last longer and be of higher quality than the VFW, so I can't really decide myself either. Let me know when you choose one. :wahoo:

Solution

wilson6488

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I like the idea of the LCD ones, but in the reviews a lot of people have said it makes their fans emit a humming noise or their fans aren't compatable with the controller. I'm pretty much decided on this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998065&cm_re=fan_controller-_-11-998-065-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

Zenthar

Distinguished
I was just asking about the connectors and everything because I remember my old Thermaltake Xaser III for which I had my fan settings always to the max; the fan controller was completely useless for that matter.