Sign in with
Your question

What does this RAM mean?

Last response: in Memory
a b } Memory
February 27, 2011 3:29:57 AM

I was looking at some MoBos on Newegg and saw that by the RAM it supported it had a little star by it, like this: * I also looked on MSI's sight and they had them too, what does this mean?

More about : ram

a b } Memory
February 27, 2011 4:12:50 AM

You mean by the RAM speeds, like this:

1333/1600*/1866*/2133*??

If so, that means the speeds with the asterisks are not officially supported and are technically considered overclocking.

If you buy memory rated at one of those speeds with an asterisk, you'll have to set it to that speed manually in the UEFI/BIOS.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 27, 2011 3:44:40 PM

Yes, that is what I meant, thank you for the help. What does UEFI mean? I know what a BIOS is, but not a UEFI.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
February 27, 2011 3:48:17 PM

The Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) is the replacement for the archaic BIOS.

The main difference user-wise is that you can use your mouse to navigate around and select options. That makes it much easier to use.

Most Sandy Bridge boards use the UEFI already, but all new boards will eventually migrate to UEFI.
m
l
a b } Memory
February 27, 2011 3:49:55 PM

Oh yes, like expressgate by ASUS. My grandparents have that with their new computer. I think it looks pretty cool.
m
l
February 27, 2011 3:58:53 PM

No, Express Gate is completely different. UEFI directly replaces the BIOS....Express Gate does not.

Quote:
The Asus Express Gate is a software application installed in the firmware of newer Asus motherboards. Express Gate acts as a mini operating system, offering the user access to mini-games, their photos, instant messenger programs, Skype, the Web, and more, within 5 seconds of powering on their PC. Express Gate loads immediately, prior to the computer entering the main operating system, be it Linux, Windows, or other.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/30...
m
l
a b } Memory
February 27, 2011 4:09:22 PM

Oh, well I saw some BIOSes that looked like express gate and figured that express gate was a BIOS too. But yeah, I have seen some videos of those.
m
l
February 27, 2011 6:35:21 PM

Express Gate is stored on the BIOS chip, but it's not actually part of the bios. It also contains no features of the bios.
m
l
!