Sign in with
Your question

Random resets problem

Last response: in Systems
June 4, 2010 7:43:38 AM

I am not sure if this is the place to post it, I'm sorry if its not.

I have recently built my new system, and I am suffering from a weird resets problem ever since.
There is no BSoD (I enabled it), just a random reset that occurs randomly while I'm playing games.
I could benchmark/stress test the computer for hours with no reset, but games will reset after a while (not consistent) for an unknown reason.
I've tried looking at temperatures but everything seems normal (~65c-70 while in game).
I've also ran memtest for ~12hours (it was 9 or 10 passes) with no problems at all.

My system is built from:
i7 930
P6T SE
CORSAIR 6gb kit (tr3x6g1600c9 running in XMP)
ATI HD 5870
Toughpower 650W (I also tried using 2 cpus, one for mobo and GPU and another for CPU and HD/DVD to see if its a power consumption problem).

Any ideas would be great, as I've already pulled most of my head's hair :) 

Thanks in advance,
Matan

More about : random resets problem

a b B Homebuilt system
June 4, 2010 5:03:05 PM

Sudden reboots like that (rather than artifacting, BSOD, or crash to desktop) typically indicate an overstressed PSU. Considering yours is a Thermaltake, odds are high that's the problem. This situation might be salvaged if you discover that the PSU is not able to cool itself. What fans do you have in your case? If you have more than just one in the back, make sure they are set up to provide a flow through your case (front to back and/or bottom to top is best). If they're all exhaust, chances are your PSU fan (also an exhaust) is struggling against too much negative pressure and isn't moving much air through your PSU. If rearranging your fans fixes this problem though, consider it temporary. Especially since you've been stressing the one you have, I would suggest that you replace your PSU. Allowing for headroom and greatest efficiency, 550W-600W should be sufficient. Choose a new one with full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the better brands.
June 4, 2010 7:08:10 PM

Thanks for the info.

I'm using Coller Master's HAF case, which has 1 front 1 back fans (built in the case) and one at the top of the case.
Trying to "feel" the PSU, he doesnt seem that hot at any point, and I cant feel hot air flowing out the back.

I will try to get a hold of a new PSU this week and check it out.
But giving the included info, any other thoughts you might have on the issue?

Thanks again :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
June 4, 2010 9:25:51 PM

Is the PSU fan working? If it isn't, the amount of air flowing through your PSU will be entirely dependent on the balance of your other fans, essentially a PSU failure waiting to happen.
!