Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No BIOS or Windows Display, Passes POST

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 30, 2010 1:47:00 AM

So I recently tried to update my drivers for my XFX Nvidia 9800GTX+ (SLi), and I think I made an error when using RegCleaner (wasn't in safe-mode, I also hear you don't need to do this to update drivers). The reason I did this is because the SLi was not being detected. After reinstalling drivers multiple times, I ran into this problem. Now, when the computer starts, instead of getting 1 beep, I get three or four. I understand these "beep codes" tell you what went wrong during POST. The weird thing is afterward, I can hear the computer loading windows by the start up sound, and I can even log in. So I have no display at all (BIOS, Windows Startup Screen), and I have multiple beeps, but the motherboard (XFX 780i) shows FF on the POST display, meaning it booted...

Also, the monitor is not reading "no signal", rather it goes to sleep. So why can't I see the picture?

I know their is problem with the beeping, but I can't get the display up so I can try to restore Windows or attempt a back up and reformat.

Here's all the specs:

Intel Q6700
XFX 780i mobo
2x XFX 9800GTX+
8GB G.Skill DDR2
500GB HD
1600W PS

Can anyone help?! :pt1cable: 
April 30, 2010 2:37:10 AM

By the way, I'm running Windows 7 HP 64-bit.

I notice I am getting several POST codes when the computer is booting. C1 first, 52, 25, 26, others too.. then it goes to FF and continues the boot to windows with no display. I was about to try to reset the jumper (or battery) but they are both buried by the lower graphics card..but would that be the next step?
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2010 2:43:27 AM

Check that your graphics card is properly fitted by removing it and refitting it.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 30, 2010 3:27:40 PM

fightingpenguinz said:
So I recently tried to update my drivers for my XFX Nvidia 9800GTX+ (SLi), and I think I made an error when using RegCleaner (wasn't in safe-mode, I also hear you don't need to do this to update drivers). The reason I did this is because the SLi was not being detected. After reinstalling drivers multiple times, I ran into this problem. Now, when the computer starts, instead of getting 1 beep, I get three or four. I understand these "beep codes" tell you what went wrong during POST. The weird thing is afterward, I can hear the computer loading windows by the start up sound, and I can even log in. So I have no display at all (BIOS, Windows Startup Screen), and I have multiple beeps, but the motherboard (XFX 780i) shows FF on the POST display, meaning it booted...

Also, the monitor is not reading "no signal", rather it goes to sleep. So why can't I see the picture?

I know their is problem with the beeping, but I can't get the display up so I can try to restore Windows or attempt a back up and reformat.

Here's all the specs:

Intel Q6700
XFX 780i mobo
2x XFX 9800GTX+
8GB G.Skill DDR2
500GB HD
1600W PS




Can anyone help?! :pt1cable: 

Hey buddy.............
did u tried to overclock,becoz it happened to me wen I did iton p4 3gbDDr It beeped 3 times and boot up just I get a black screen,Try refitting graphics card and RAM,However just detect the HARDRIVE IS WORKING OR NOt,as a last resort try formating partition and reinstalling.


hope you get the hell out of the problem.......
a c 125 U Graphics card
April 30, 2010 4:48:21 PM

Hmm I'd suggest taking one card out, booting up. If it works, shut down and try the other card. Make sure they both work on their own. If so, then boot up with one card and try getting it back to booting up with both cards even if not in SLI. There may just be a simple option in the nVidia control center to enable SLI, otherwise it might simply be using them as separate cards.

Oh also, it may depend where you plugged your monitor into. From what I understand the bottom card outputs are disabled in SLI and Crossfire, so you need to plug into the top card.
May 1, 2010 5:08:23 AM

fightingpenguinz said:
By the way, I'm running Windows 7 HP 64-bit.

I notice I am getting several POST codes when the computer is booting. C1 first, 52, 25, 26, others too.. then it goes to FF and continues the boot to windows with no display. I was about to try to reset the jumper (or battery) but they are both buried by the lower graphics card..but would that be the next step?

hey bud......

the anonymous post is mine...
did u tried the thingI said...
now my girlfriend is also having same trouble.....

please reply soon....
May 2, 2010 4:30:31 AM

Ok, so I still get POST errors, but I believe it is a result from resetting the CMOS and the fact that I don't have a floppy. I now get the '7F' POST error at the very end, but I can continue by hitting F1 and I can hear windows boot....problem: still no display to monitor.

So, windows boots, I say good mobo, good ram, hard drive, (maybe graphics)...

I have switched out each of the graphics cards and tried them individually, both have the same effect...monitor in sleep, no display

But what are the chances of both cards dieing at the same time? Probably low..

So this leads me to believe the PSU has seen its last day, and does not have the ability to supply the graphics card enough power...anyone else agree?

Also, I'm using the XFX nVidia 9800GTX+.

Thanks...when will I play BFBC2 again?!?!? :sol: 
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2010 4:38:46 AM

It could well be your power supply; the alternative is that the motherboard is faulty which could be very expensive. Rather than buy a replacement power supply you could take the computer to a local repair shop and get them to test by replacement the power supply which could be a cheaper option.
May 2, 2010 10:32:05 AM

fightingpenguinz said:
Ok, so I still get POST errors, but I believe it is a result from resetting the CMOS and the fact that I don't have a floppy. I now get the '7F' POST error at the very end, but I can continue by hitting F1 and I can hear windows boot....problem: still no display to monitor.

So, windows boots, I say good mobo, good ram, hard drive, (maybe graphics)...

I have switched out each of the graphics cards and tried them individually, both have the same effect...monitor in sleep, no display

But what are the chances of both cards dieing at the same time? Probably low..

So this leads me to believe the PSU has seen its last day, and does not have the ability to supply the graphics card enough power...anyone else agree?

Also, I'm using the XFX nVidia 9800GTX+.

Thanks...when will I play BFBC2 again?!?!? :sol: 


bro...

I agree with pjmelect....check for power suply.....
But before that try formating the partition and reinstalling windows,my girlfriend solved it that way.

Just try it......

gluc.......
May 2, 2010 7:00:57 PM

I would try to format and reinstall windows but it would be very difficult to do without any display. Also don't wanna lose the data. I even bought a new HDD to try a fresh install but haven't opened it yet incase I want to return it. Another problem I have is that I have it set to boot HDD first, no the DVD drives, so even booting with the windows install disk does nothing...I think I'm going to overnight a power supply and swap it out. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the help.
May 3, 2010 6:25:09 AM

fightingpenguinz said:
I would try to format and reinstall windows but it would be very difficult to do without any display. Also don't wanna lose the data. I even bought a new HDD to try a fresh install but haven't opened it yet incase I want to return it. Another problem I have is that I have it set to boot HDD first, no the DVD drives, so even booting with the windows install disk does nothing...I think I'm going to overnight a power supply and swap it out. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the help.


hey... hey....

did u tried that the monitor is properly fixed.Just tell me if the computer showed any abnormalities as rising in temp before this incident.

I suggest that try once booting up after removing the card...may be it will work....but I dont think so..... there no waste in trying.

if none of this works try to fit ur hd in another spec and try if it boots up and if it boots,then theres nothing wrong with hd.

give it a shot...

this will be over soon...
!