Hp piece of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkangels6sic6

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Well I have an HP Pavilion 7955 and I wanted to upgrade the cpu. I bout a 3GHZ to put in up from the 1.5GHZ. Its P4 Socket 478-400MHZ FSB. When I did this the cpu was still running at 1.5GHZ. I tried a few overclocking programs to no aviel. I tried updating the bios forever and that never worked. Come to find out HP decided to leave out the fact that your motherboard might not be the same as the one listed. Its listed as Asus mobo with Amazon bios but some people got a Dublin mobo with phoenix bios. Yay! None them couldve mentioned that before, but it seems most of the reps dont know this and Hp does provide info on it. The only thing for bios update i can find is from phoenix tech or whatever and you have to pay to get in. What I need help with is knowing if anybody else has this same prob or has heard of it. I need to upgrade my cpu, bios if needed, and find my exact mobo specs. I used everest and speccy which is how i found out i had a diff mobo and I cant really find my mobo. All help welcome. Oh yeah! when i finally figured this all out and talked to an hp rep all he did was confirm this and then tell me my pc is old, there are no updates, and to buy a new one from them. considering its 11 years old i think its running pretty damn well.

arkangels6sic6

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
My specs may help. lol.
Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
Installation Date: 20 September 2009, 16:26
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Cores 1
Threads 1
Name Intel Pentium 4
Code Name Willamette
Package Socket 478 mPGA
Technology 0.18um
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1500MHz
Family F
Extended family F
Model 0
Extended model 0
Stepping A
Revision C1
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2
Bus speed 99.7 MHz
Rated Bus speed 398.8 MHz
Stock core speed 1500 MHz
Stock bus speed 100 MHz
Caches
L1 data cache size 8 KBytes
L1 trace cache 12 Kuops
L2 unified cache size 256 KBytes
Core 0
Core speed 1495.2 MHz
Multiplier x 15.0
Bus speed 99.7 MHz
Rated Bus speed 398.8 MHz
Thread 1
APIC ID 0
Motherboard
Manufacturer Hewlett Packard
Model Dublin
Version 70000TG101DUBLI
Chipset vendor Intel
Chipset model i845
Chipset revision A3
Southbridge vendor Intel
Southbridge model 82801BA (ICH2)
Southbridge revision 12
BIOS
Brand Phoenix
Version 6.00
Date 09/21/2001

Most of those specs are irrelevant. Can you link me to your computer in the support area of the HP website?

You cannot upgrade your bios. The only way to do that is to replace your motherboard.

-What do you need the upgrade for? What do you do with your computer? Upgrading even to the most powerful pentium 4, may not be enough for your needs. Also, building a new computer would be more cost effective. Save your money for a new build if you don't desperately need the minor performance increase that a new P4 would provide right now.

arkangels6sic6

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I realized this. I just copied some specs down. I also left out other stuff. I brought the system from 256MB to 1GB of ram and from a 40Gb hd to a 10GB with a 60GB as storage(useless). I know upgrading the cpu wont make everything marvalous but going from a 1.5GHZ to 3GHZ should help. I only need the new cpu for overall help not for anything extreme. I will Also be getting an agp graphics card to help.
Its a Trigem Dublin Board with Phoenix Bios V6.00 and i believe Rev. 4.06.

Here is the official site showing only the ausus board.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06804&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=62740

Why would I not be able to updat my bios?

Hp has to provide the bios update; they rarely do. They would prefer you to buy a new pc than upgrade. It's the same for dell, compaq, etc. Some newer compaq's do provide a list of upgradable cpus on their website. If you don't like it, build your own.

arkangels6sic6

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Well if they are supposed to provide the bios then Id like someone to tell them this.
Thats the thing. I dont have that kind of money laying around. I got the ram for about 8 bux a while back and won the 3GHZ cpu for 20 bux. Sweet deal if you ask me. I found some info on my mobo and I know it can take the faster cpu. I dont know where to get the bios though or which one I would exactly need. I know I need a new pc but everyone does. Til I can offord to build a new one Id like to get what I have running as good as I can.

arkangels6sic6

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
The main thing Im trying to acomplish is to get my 3GHz cpu running at 3Ghz. Either if there is something that will help me hack into the multiplier or where I can get the bios updat for phoenix bios v6.00. The only thing i can find is v6.00pg, Im not even sure of the difference. I realy dont know much about looking for the bios, but I have searched hard and it seems finding this bios update was made to be extremely tricky, just like finding out that my motherboard is different and finding info on it. I contacted hp again and none of the reps know anything about there being a different motherboard. After I explained everything repeatedly they kept trying to make download the amazon bios. Then kept saying I mustve switched my motherboard. I dont have money to buy a new pc or I would've. Even then, I would still like to have this system running a little better.

arkangels6sic6

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Other usefull thing is when i use a program like everest it says my bios is Phoenix Bios v6. In the bios it says core version 4.06 revision 3.06 I believe. 3.06 I think has to do with my motherboard though. Hp Dublin 3.06. Anyway, am I looking for an update to phoenix version 4.06 rather than 6.00 cause the only 6.00 I find are 6.00pg.

arkangels6sic6

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
are you saying that my bios is like oem from dublin not phoenix(how would you know this)-(not doubting just curious) or anything and that it was made specifically for my board and there is no update to it? and still none the less how could i hack inot it or get something that would just let me clock my 3GHz at 3GHz or possibly slightly underclocked.

The motherboard is a model made specifically for the OEM company selling it by a motherboard manufacturer. The bios for that motherboard, is created for that motherboard only. It is a limited bios, so the OEM ensures you do nothing like overclocking or other system tweaks to your system.
On some, you can update them, but only ones provided by the OEM, which obviously still have all the limitations in place.
There is no update for those motherboards provided by the motherboard manufacturer.

If there was some way you could hack your bios, people would be doing it left, right and center, which they aren't.

RWRamo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I have a compaq cq5210f, which was short of everything. No bios settings you can adjust, a 2gb and a 1gb ddr2 mem (yeah no ddr that way). A very wimpy power supply. Trust me, anything you do to update is a waste. For the cost of ddr2 memory I can get a ddr3 board with 4gb ddr3. But, the athlonIIx2 215 is such a wimpy cpu it is not worth salvage. And it will need a power supply to support anything beefier than the galaxy gt240 card I put in it.

pretty simply, the case is not terribly ugly, the dvd writer works I think and it has not puked up the sata 500mg drive yet. It was a cheap off the shelf emergency, and that is what I got. Having learned how they work. I see all the products they listed in the last up to 50% off hot deal email were under engineered, overpriced, underwaranteed. Small wonder they are thinking about leaving the pc industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.