Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Core i7 turbo mode inquiry

Last response: in CPUs
August 6, 2010 6:07:21 AM

hi all. could someone explain to me how the core i7 turbo mode works. i looked at the alienware m11x , the 640um i7 processer clocked at 1.2, and says turbo mode 2.26. does this mean that the both cores will automatically reach up to 2.26ghz when needed? or does it work differently?
a c 131 à CPUs
August 6, 2010 6:55:38 AM

davideclosel said:
clocked at 1.2, and says turbo mode 2.26. does this mean that the both cores will automatically reach up to 2.26ghz when needed? or does it work differently?

Bingo.
Basically, it will clock up the cores that are loaded. If all cores are loaded though, it will stay at 1.2.
Score
August 6, 2010 8:09:10 AM

this will give u a little idea......

Core i7 processors can run with each individual core at a different clock speed. Turbo mode is especially interesting, because it allows some cores to be overclocked when a non multithreaded task taxes one or two cores while the others are left ideal. such a situation allows the application to run more efficiently & can result in a performance increase of up to 10 %.
on the other hand , a new power saving mode switches ideal cores to C6 state(deep powerdown). in this state, the core is simply disconnected from the power supply. this is taken care by micro-controller logic which moniters the temp and power consumption of each core.

-Rohan
Score
Related resources
August 6, 2010 8:45:34 AM

so both cores can go up to 2.2ghz at the same time? does this mean the max (or total) frequency of the core i7 640um is 4.4?
Score
August 6, 2010 2:23:25 PM

davideclosel said:
so both cores can go up to 2.2ghz at the same time? does this mean the max (or total) frequency of the core i7 640um is 4.4?

not at all.......
Score
August 6, 2010 2:36:23 PM

davideclosel said:

You dont add cores together like that, think of them more as seperate entities.
Score
a c 131 à CPUs
August 6, 2010 2:39:21 PM

Quote:
yes.It will overclock when u use an application or game which uses 2 or 3 cores.

It's a dual core. So it will overclock when an application or game uses 1 core.

does this mean the max (or total) frequency of the core i7 640um is 4.4?
It doesn't work like that. There is no "total frequency". It's like thinking that if both jim and you make a sandwich at the same time and take 2.2 minutes, the total is 4.4 minutes. It's not, since only 2.2 minutes have passed. But you each took 2.2 minutes.

so both cores can go up to 2.2ghz at the same time?
The frequency will only increase if a single core is under load, and only that core's speed will increase, not the other.
Score
August 6, 2010 7:50:01 PM

"The frequency will only increase if a single core is under load, and only that core's speed will increase, not the other"

but does that mean that both cores cannot go to turbo mode at the same time?
Score
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2011 12:30:29 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!