Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Scanning slides

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:53:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have a collection of approx 100 slides that I took many years ago when I
thought that viewing photos on a screen was the way to go! I would like to
get these onto VCD but my scanner does not have a slide/negative adaptor. I
am very reluctant to buy a dedicated slide scanner, or even a new scanner
that has a slide adaptor, because once those 100 slides have been processed
I will never have need for the equipment again.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible to hire a slide scanner
from anywhere? Is there anyway I can 'mock-up' an adaptor to use with my
present Epson scanner? Are there firms (or anyone out there!) that will do
the job for me at a reasonable price?

Kev

More about : scanning slides

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:53:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I can't answer to what firms are available where you live,
but in southeast Michigan there are a couple of places that
do slide scans as well as turning VCR tapes into DVDs. Take
a look at your local Yellow Pages.

As to dedicated slide scanners, I would definitely not
recommend you buy one for just 100 slides. I mistakenly held
to a tight budget when I bought mine and it doesn't do a
good job at all. A Nikon slide scanner had been recommended
to me at the time but I didn't want to spend the $600 it
cost, so I now have a $250 boat anchor on my desk.

Good luck in your quest to go digital!

--
ATM, aka Jerry Rivers

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!" -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor

Delete the reverse SPAM to reply by E-mail
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:53:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Kev,

Many labs will scan to CD/DVD. Some may be in the ads to the right of
this thread. Or do a Google web search using 'Fuji' or 'Kodak'
together with 'scan slides CD' or something like that in the box.
Michael
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:53:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Uno Hoo! wrote:
> I have a collection of approx 100 slides that I took many years ago when I
> thought that viewing photos on a screen was the way to go! I would like to
> get these onto VCD but my scanner does not have a slide/negative adaptor. I
> am very reluctant to buy a dedicated slide scanner, or even a new scanner
> that has a slide adaptor, because once those 100 slides have been processed
> I will never have need for the equipment again.
> Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible to hire a slide scanner
> from anywhere? Is there anyway I can 'mock-up' an adaptor to use with my
> present Epson scanner? Are there firms (or anyone out there!) that will do
> the job for me at a reasonable price?
>
> Kev
>

This should be exactly what you want.
http://www.slideplus.com/slidecd/index.htm

Bob Williams
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:11:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

If all you want is to scan these slides for viewing on a computer monitor or
television there are many flatbed scanners in the sub $200 range that have
transparency adapters that will suit your purpose.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:11:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:Aajvd.33504$zx1.3594@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> If all you want is to scan these slides for viewing on a computer monitor
> or television there are many flatbed scanners in the sub $200 range that
> have transparency adapters that will suit your purpose.

OK - thanks for that. I'm still reluctant to buy a new scanner for such a
short term application, however, when I have a perfectly functional scanner
already - albeit without a slide adaptor!!

Kev
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:11:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Uno Hoo!" <kev@dropthisbigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:cpkifj$e0c$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
> "bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:Aajvd.33504$zx1.3594@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>> If all you want is to scan these slides for viewing on a computer monitor
>> or television there are many flatbed scanners in the sub $200 range that
>> have transparency adapters that will suit your purpose.
>
> OK - thanks for that. I'm still reluctant to buy a new scanner for such a
> short term application, however, when I have a perfectly functional
> scanner already - albeit without a slide adaptor!!
>
> Kev
>
I just sold my slide scanner on E-bay. I thought that I might scan several
thousand slides, but it took so long that I gave up and sold it. Maybe
there is a faster scanner, but the one I had wasn't it. It was a PrimeFilm
1800, and although it worked fine, it was just a slow process and I don't
have the patience that I should have.

Don Dunlap
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 9:48:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<wasleys@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:1102958278.482357.204950@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Kev,
>
> Many labs will scan to CD/DVD. Some may be in the ads to the right of
> this thread. Or do a Google web search using 'Fuji' or 'Kodak'
> together with 'scan slides CD' or something like that in the box.
> Michael

Cheers Michael - I'll do that. I reckon this is probably the simplest and
cheapest way of doing what I want to do!

Kev
>
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 9:49:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Don Dunlap" <dondunlapremve@direcway.com> wrote in message
news:91e17$41bddd97$452341fe$15043@allthenewsgroups.com...
>
> "Uno Hoo!" <kev@dropthisbigfoot.com> wrote in message
> news:cpkifj$e0c$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>> "bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> news:Aajvd.33504$zx1.3594@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>>> If all you want is to scan these slides for viewing on a computer
>>> monitor or television there are many flatbed scanners in the sub $200
>>> range that have transparency adapters that will suit your purpose.
>>
>> OK - thanks for that. I'm still reluctant to buy a new scanner for such a
>> short term application, however, when I have a perfectly functional
>> scanner already - albeit without a slide adaptor!!
>>
>> Kev
>>
> I just sold my slide scanner on E-bay. I thought that I might scan
> several thousand slides, but it took so long that I gave up and sold it.
> Maybe there is a faster scanner, but the one I had wasn't it. It was a
> PrimeFilm 1800, and although it worked fine, it was just a slow process
> and I don't have the patience that I should have.

OK - I think I'll get the job done 'professionally' ! Probably turn out
cheaper for the number of slides that I have compared with buying my own
equipment.

Kev
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 3:46:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Isn't it great to work outside the box!!
Here is another way:
I know, just have you probably have found out, that one will get flames on
the "whys and where fors" that this will NEVER work.
But as you can see it does work. One just has have the nerve to work outside
the box.
I now have a Microtek 5900 with a built in 4x5 transparency adaptor that
works even better.
I have found out that by setting my scanner on color negatives and then scan
the black and white silver based neg and invert it in the scanning program
that came with the scanner I get much better results than if I scanned in at
greyscale. Bigger files too, but I really do not care for the results are
outstanding.
Have fun and make images.
PS: for paying jobs I either get a Kodak PRO photo cd done (75MB files) or
get them done on a scanning drum. I only had to do that once even though one
finished result was a 16x20 print for a company board room portrait.
Yours,
Tom Elliott
http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com/hp-scanner.html
"Rod" <rgallow1@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:i0svd.7162$%p1.610798@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Go to this address and methods for scanning slides on equipment not built
> for the process is presented. I used the method to scan a number of 21/4
> slides and it worked quite well.
>
> http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com/otherthings.html
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:53:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Rod" <rgallow1@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:i0svd.7162$%p1.610798@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Go to this address and methods for scanning slides on equipment not built
> for the process is presented. I used the method to scan a number of 21/4
> slides and it worked quite well.
>
> http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com/otherthings.html

That's great Rod - many thanks. I'll certainly give this a go and see how it
works out. This will probably produce images that will be sufficiently good
for my needs.

Kev
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:54:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message
news:41BE001E.4070904@cox.net...
>
>
> Uno Hoo! wrote:
>> I have a collection of approx 100 slides that I took many years ago when
>> I thought that viewing photos on a screen was the way to go! I would like
>> to get these onto VCD but my scanner does not have a slide/negative
>> adaptor. I am very reluctant to buy a dedicated slide scanner, or even a
>> new scanner that has a slide adaptor, because once those 100 slides have
>> been processed I will never have need for the equipment again.
>> Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible to hire a slide scanner
>> from anywhere? Is there anyway I can 'mock-up' an adaptor to use with my
>> present Epson scanner? Are there firms (or anyone out there!) that will
>> do the job for me at a reasonable price?
>>
>> Kev
>
> This should be exactly what you want.
> http://www.slideplus.com/slidecd/index.htm

Thanks for that Bob - unfortunately I'm in the UK, - should have made that
clear!

Kev
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 4:28:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

http://www.digitaltreasures.net/index.html

"Uno Hoo!" <kev@dropthisbigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:cpkdu0$png$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I have a collection of approx 100 slides that I took many years ago when I
>thought that viewing photos on a screen was the way to go! I would like to
>get these onto VCD but my scanner does not have a slide/negative adaptor. I
>am very reluctant to buy a dedicated slide scanner, or even a new scanner
>that has a slide adaptor, because once those 100 slides have been processed
>I will never have need for the equipment again.
> Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible to hire a slide scanner
> from anywhere? Is there anyway I can 'mock-up' an adaptor to use with my
> present Epson scanner? Are there firms (or anyone out there!) that will do
> the job for me at a reasonable price?
>
> Kev
>
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 6:09:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <cpkifj$e0c$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>,
Uno Hoo! <kev@dropthisbigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>news:Aajvd.33504$zx1.3594@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>> If all you want is to scan these slides for viewing on a computer monitor
>> or television there are many flatbed scanners in the sub $200 range that
>> have transparency adapters that will suit your purpose.
>
>OK - thanks for that. I'm still reluctant to buy a new scanner for such a
>short term application, however, when I have a perfectly functional scanner
>already - albeit without a slide adaptor!!
>
>Kev
>
>


Buy one on ebay and sell it there when you're done.



--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
----
!