Sign in with
Your question

New computer rig problems

Last response: in Components
August 6, 2010 9:06:23 AM

Hello, i created a new rig and of course it my first time building my rig, i have a cooler master scout tower ,
ASUS M4A78 PLUS Motherboard ,
amd phenom II x4 950 black edition 3ghz,
3 corsair ddr2 ram,
EVGA nVidia GeForce 9600 GSO PCI-Express ,
and OCZ Stealth X Stream 600 watt Power Supply ,

when i turn on the power when everything its connected right the
cd drive makes noise and green light keeps on flashing every second. also nothing pops up on the lcd screen and when i connect my cd drive and my hard drive to my old computer its starts normaly without no problem and cd drive dont make noise???? also im using my 500gb hard drive from my previous comp and it has windows vista. do i need more psu power? any help will be greatly apreciated.

More about : computer rig problems

August 6, 2010 9:23:43 AM

"also im using my 500gb hard drive from my previous comp and it has windows vista"

Did you just connect an HDD from a different platform to a new one? You said this is your first rig, but you also said that you have an old PC. That's confusing...

Anyway, you can't just put an HDD to a new setup like swapping memory cards. It has to be configured to the new environment. Meaning: re-installation.

My best guess is the HDD hasn't been installed with the new rig. Confusing the system which leads to the symptoms you're describing.

Try to format the HDD and install a fresh OS IN the new setup.

Hope this helps!
m
l
August 6, 2010 9:34:08 AM

HA SORRY 4 NOT DESCRIBING IT GOOD.... I GOT A 2007 ACER T180 DESKTOP(OLD PC) I UPGRADED THIS PC WITH 500GB AND 3 GB OF RAM.

NOW THAT I BOUGHT MY NEW ITEMS FOR MY NEW RIG (ITEMS LISTED ON TOP LOL) I HAD PUT EVERYTHING TOGETHER AND TOOK MY HDD FROM MY ACER PC AND PUT IT INTO MY NEW RIG AND SAME GOES FOR THE DISC DRIVE. BUT THE DISK DRIVE MAKES NOISE AND FLASHES THE GREEN LIGHT EVERY SECOND AND IT DOESNT STOP. BUT WHEN I PUT MY HDD AND THE DISC DRIVE BACK TO THE ACER (OLD PC) EVERYTHING WORKS NORMAL. GOT ANY IDEA WHATS GOING ON HERE ? ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APRECIATED :D 
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2010 9:51:46 AM

damasvara has given good advice. The HDD probably wont work in your new system. As for the CD drive, leave it out of your new system and see what happens. If it works OK then check the motherboard connections for your CD drive. It's probably an IDE drive and you may have it set on slave from your old PC whereas the jumper on it may need to be changed to master.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 6, 2010 11:58:56 AM

As dama said, sounds like you need a fresh installation. A repair install might work though, try booting from your Vista dsik and seeing if it can find any boot problems. not likely but you never know!
m
l
!