Sign in with
Your question

2 Diamond Radeon HD 3870's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 30, 2010 3:55:34 AM

HI, I just bought a second video card, both are the exact same, and I hooked them up into my SLI ready "DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR" motherboard, I have been doing a little research on the subject of getting them to improve the graphics quality for the past few days and am a little confused. So if anyone can answer any of these questions I would really appreciate it...

Is it better to use 2 Crossfire cables between the video cards or 1?
Is it better to set the board to work with SLI (2x PCI express X8) or the normal (PCI express x16 + x4)
are there any programs I have to download to get the cards to work in crossfire mode? (Already have ATI Catalyst and Directx11)

Any other suggestions would also help

Thanks,
Cristian

More about : diamond radeon 3870

a c 169 U Graphics card
April 30, 2010 7:37:51 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
You can't use 2 HD 3870s on a SLI board(unless with hacked drivers)
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
April 30, 2010 3:00:44 PM

1) You only need to use one crossfire cable
2) Crossfire works way better with 8x/8x rather than 16x/4x.
3) You only need recent drivers and a crossfire board. Problem is, your board doesn't support crossfire.

The drivers for nVidia chipsets intentionally block crossfire and this may also be hampered somewhat by BIOS microcode in nVidia chipsets. Anyway, if you want to run crossfire on that board you will have to search the internet for hacked drivers, and basically google "Crossfire on SLI board"

You could just get a crossfire board :D , but it's up to you.
m
l
April 30, 2010 7:42:47 PM

know any websites where i could get hacked drivers, Im running windows 7, but also have a few copies of linux on some usb flash drives I like to play around with, so anyways could anyone post a website where they might have them for DFI motherboards?
m
l
!