Kodak DX6440 Battery Life

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 13, 2004 11:26:38 AM

The battery pack in my DX6440 does not seem to keep its charge anymore.
The camera and battery are about 1 year old, and I use the PD6000 to
recharge it. Last week I recharged the camera, removed it from the
dock - when I went to use the camera 2 days later, the battery was
dead. This weekend, I charged the camera again and used it a few hours
later and was able to get a dozen shots in before the low battery
indicator began to flash. Is this a problem with the battery pack
itself, with the battery door causing loose contact, or with the actual
camera itself?

I frequently recharge before the battery is fully drained, since I
prefer to carry the camera fully charged. Does this impact the life of
the NiMH pack? If I do need to replace it, what will give me the best
performance...a replacement Kodak or standalone rechargeable batteries
(and if so, what type is best)? Also, if I use regular rechargebles,
can I charge them through the docking station?

Thanks.

-Dave
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 10:13:52 PM

davebrennan1975@hotmail.com wrote:
> The battery pack in my DX6440 does not seem to keep its charge
> anymore. The camera and battery are about 1 year old, and I use the
> PD6000 to recharge it. Last week I recharged the camera, removed it
> from the dock - when I went to use the camera 2 days later, the
> battery was dead. This weekend, I charged the camera again and used
> it a few hours later and was able to get a dozen shots in before the
> low battery indicator began to flash. Is this a problem with the
> battery pack itself, with the battery door causing loose contact, or
> with the actual camera itself?

Sounds like the battery. However one year life seems short.

> I frequently recharge before the battery is fully drained, since I
> prefer to carry the camera fully charged. Does this impact the life
> of the NiMH pack?

Very little.

> If I do need to replace it, what will give me the
> best performance...a replacement Kodak or standalone rechargeable
> batteries (and if so, what type is best)?

No need for Kodak brand batteries. You are likely to find others just
as good at a lower price.

> Also, if I use regular
> rechargebles, can I charge them through the docking station?

Check the manual. I really don't know. If they are replacements with
the same specs as the original you should be able to use the docking
station.

I could be wrong about this, but I doubt if the docking station is going
to be your best charger however. Assuming the batter cells are standard,
like AA size, then I suggest getting a good smart charger that charges each
cell independently. Also get a second set of cells. It is never nice to
have a battery die in the middle of something and not have a backup.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
!