Sign in with
Your question

SSD Lifespan Check

Last response: in Storage
a c 180 G Storage
July 25, 2012 3:29:15 PM

Many of our forum members ask: How long will my SSD last? I heard they don't last as long as HDD?

Could you please tell us how long you have had your SSD and which brand,model,and capacity you are using and why?

Thanks for your time! :D 

More about : ssd lifespan check

a c 124 G Storage
July 25, 2012 5:18:22 PM

I have those SSD that all are working good.

1) Intel 320 120GB for my HTPC since BF 2011 for sale.
2) Mushkin Chronos 120 GB (one for backup PC, one for laptop) Feb 2012.
3) Crucial M4 128GB May 2012
4) Intel 330 180GB for my mom May 2012.

m
l
July 25, 2012 5:36:27 PM

1) G.Skill Pheonix Pro 60GB, 2-3 years, 24/7 machine. Still going strong.
One of my minecraft servers has only a 30GB SSD, purchased last year. With daily 1GB backups and a pagefile, this SSD is still working.

And there's been research done on the minimum lifespan of SSD's. If you are reading and writing 24/7 at the maximum speed a SSD is capable of, they tend to fail in a matter of months. Source: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2710...
m
l
Related resources
a c 152 G Storage
July 25, 2012 5:40:38 PM

The biggest problems in the early days was with poor wear leveling and people thinking it was cool to show how fast they could defrag a SSD.

With the smaller process, newer SSD's do not have as many p/e cycles, but some users have pushed SSD's VERY far.

If you are wondering about how much you can write to the drive check this out.

Almost insane the amount of data some user put through the flash and it still works.

[Beat to it by Shotzo :) ]
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2710...

I still consider hard drives to be almost a sure thing because they warn well in advance of failure and are so cheap for the space.

The biggest problem is that many users have had firmware problems with drives and this has led to even more negativity towards SSD's

I am just starting to get more into SSD drives as the prices are on the way down. I had picked up a cheap Kingston SSD(64 gigs about a year ago) for RST but have since been using it for windows 8. For a cheap drive, this thing flies. I also have a 128gig M4 to store my most played games on and it has worked out very well.

Today 2 x 256 gig M4's will be in so, this will be the first time I put SSD's into a main setup(but win8 has been my main setup since the release preview came out, so i would say so far, SSD's are working out good for me.)

I will still use HDD's(slow ones too) for all my personal files(desktop/docs/vids) and anything that does not need speed.
m
l
a c 107 G Storage
July 25, 2012 7:07:58 PM

120GB OCZ Vertex 2 with the 34nm NAND. I have had the drive since August 2010 so right at 2 years now. For the first 6 months it was in an E8400/P45 based system and it's been in my 2600K/P67 setup since the end of January 2011.

In that time I have done at least 4 and maybe 5 clean installs of Windows on it. I have never had a single problem with the drive. I keep between 20 and 30GB of space free on the drive and have the whole time I have had it.

My only complaint is I have to uninstall games I am not playing to make room for new ones but with Steam that is not really any big deal. Since I paid $250 for it I keep resisting upgrading to a newer, larger and faster drive just because I want to feel like I got my money's worth out of this one!

With prices so good right now I have been thinking of picking up a 256GB Samsung 830 and putting the OCZ in my laptop but I'm not really in a rush as this old drive is still blazing fast.
m
l
a c 523 G Storage
July 25, 2012 7:24:15 PM

I have 2 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0 since 2010 as my O/S drive.

With no TRIM my AS-SSD Read performance is at 88% of advertised speeds, and my Write performance is 270% (due to firmware upgrade) of advertised speeds.

Since my drives are in RAID I can't check SMART info to see how much data I have written to both drives.
m
l
July 25, 2012 7:37:46 PM

I have 2 x 60GB OCZ Agility 3 in RAID-0, only about a month old though....but so far no problems!

Why? Because I can, Because it has insane read/write speeds, Because it sounds cool, Because it impresses the chicks!
m
l
July 25, 2012 8:13:38 PM

nice to know! im looking to move to SSD my self soon... learning and going to trying some things out....
m
l
July 25, 2012 8:20:49 PM

towhog66 said:
nice to know! im looking to move to SSD my self soon... learning and going to trying some things out....

Intel, Crucial, and OCZ all seem to be the top contenders. The only real difference is Price/Speeds. I haven't seen anything bad about them other than the morons that give 1 egg and a bad review because something was DOA...
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
July 25, 2012 10:01:35 PM

Keep the info coming in!

Thanks this will be helpful to our forum!
m
l
August 15, 2012 7:14:30 PM

hi everyone

i got a ssd at start of this year a force 3 series 240 gb ssd by corsair
all i can say is that it gets 7.9 rating (which is max possibe in the windows rating score) and this baby flies!
i always keep 60-70 GB free space due to the way ssd's work (they constantly swaping around where the information is kept in the hard drive).

defo worth the money for the extra speed and it is very noticable with boot times , shutdown times , game performance (fps).

normal hard drives (majority of them) have a windows 7 rating of 5.9 you can see the significant speed boost this reflects.

i mean on counter strike source am getting over 700 fps on a 10 man server :pt1cable:  :bounce: 
m
l
a c 152 G Storage
August 15, 2012 7:19:04 PM

mooie_47 said:
normal hard drives (majority of them) have a windows 7 rating of 5.9 you can see the significant speed boost this reflects.

i mean on counter strike source am getting over 700 fps on a 10 man server :pt1cable:  :bounce: 

5.9. is the MAX for any platter drive I have seen, even 3 in raid0 was not enough to push past that. I think it is built that way. I can not lie, SSD's sure do fly(and even more on Win8). I just tossed Win7 on a SSD now too. Damn it would be hard to go back.

SSD's do NOT increase FPS and never will. They may reduce stuttering in a game that loads textures on the fly.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
August 15, 2012 7:38:10 PM

13 SSDs (7 diff brands) , NOT a single failure. Most bought shortly after they came out.
Older SSDs, Most bought shortly after they came out.
.. Intel 80 gig G2 (also in i5-70 desktop)
.. Intel 80 Gig G1 (was in a laptop, OPPS I thought I was Buying the G2)
.. Patriot Torqx Laptop (was in a laptop)
.. GSkill Phoenix pro - 120 gig In i5-750 Desktop
.. WD Blue (YES it's an SSD) - use in a USB enclosure

Sata III
.. M4s - Laptop, a 128 gig OS + program and a 256 for Storage. Wife's desktop, one 128 gig
.. 830's desktop, 128 gig for OS + programs, 256 gig for storage. 128 gig which is currently a Spare
.. Agillity III. 2 x 128 gig. Spare w/Wife's OS + programs. 2nd one a Spare
m
l
a b G Storage
August 15, 2012 7:46:49 PM

nukemaster said:
The biggest problems in the early days was with poor wear leveling and people thinking it was cool to show how fast they could defrag a SSD.

With the smaller process, newer SSD's do not have as many p/e cycles, but some users have pushed SSD's VERY far.

If you are wondering about how much you can write to the drive check this out.

Almost insane the amount of data some user put through the flash and it still works.

[Beat to it by Shotzo :) ]
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2710...

I still consider hard drives to be almost a sure thing because they warn well in advance of failure and are so cheap for the space.

The biggest problem is that many users have had firmware problems with drives and this has led to even more negativity towards SSD's

I am just starting to get more into SSD drives as the prices are on the way down. I had picked up a cheap Kingston SSD(64 gigs about a year ago) for RST but have since been using it for windows 8. For a cheap drive, this thing flies. I also have a 128gig M4 to store my most played games on and it has worked out very well.

Today 2 x 256 gig M4's will be in so, this will be the first time I put SSD's into a main setup(but win8 has been my main setup since the release preview came out, so i would say so far, SSD's are working out good for me.)

I will still use HDD's(slow ones too) for all my personal files(desktop/docs/vids) and anything that does not need speed.

Interesting read. Usually new products tend to be the most faulty (realized that when jumping on the TB hdd bandwagon) but i hear SSD's have become more reliable. It usually helps when you use it in a natural environment where companies can improve on and the firmware issues. I most likely will get an SSD for my gaming PC OS in the near future, whenever i can put some money together or if one of my hard drives on my older pc goes out i might invest in an SSD to throw it in my gaming system.
m
l
!