New Motherboard and or CPU to fix problem.

lurker501

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Hello,
I have the following equipment in a PC that I built a while ago.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 nForce 790i Ultra SLI motherboard (original)
EVGA 132-YW-E179-A1 nForce 790i SLI FTW motherboard (current)
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) OCZ3P13334GK
Leadtek PX9800GX2 GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB PCIe 2.0 x16
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion 70SB046A00003 7.1 Channel sound card.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
HP 20X DVDR Burner DVD1070i
SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM 700W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified 80Plus
Antec Nine Hundred case.

It has never worked without locking up during gaming. This computer is going to be strictly a gaming machine. I almost always use Ventrilo, and some co-op game with buddies.
The lock ups are inconsistent, but always happens only during gaming. I've tried running all types of diagnostics, including memory and cpu, but I've never had it lock up or shut down. I'm not overlocked in any way.
I have replaced just about everything in the computer with the exception of the CPU. The motherboard I have now is the current one that I have listed above. The only common thing about the motherboard is that it is an nForce 790i chipset.

I would like to first purchase locally (preferably from a shop I can return items to) another motherboard that can accept all my equipment and is NOT an nForce board.
If this does not resolve my problems, my next step is to replace the CPU and Motherboard with something more current (and maybe a little better) that can take advantage of my other equipment also.

What I need from someone is recommendations on what to do.

Thanks in advance.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

+1

Though i would advise strictly P45, due to somewhat lower cost and almost identical performance.

logainofhades

Titan
What is the voltage of your ram? If low enough, you could just get a P55 board and i5 750 or an AM3 board and a PhII X4 and sell the old S775 board and cpu on ebay. If it is of a higher voltage I think you are limited to AM3 unless your ram can run fine at a lower voltage. I think 1.65 is the max for core ix series cpus. At this point it does not make much sense to me to stick more money into a S775 system if you can sell the parts to make up most if not all the cost and get something more current/faster.

lurker501

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010

I'm not really interested in overclocking. i mostly want stability. And I'd like to spend as little as possible without sacrificing performance.

lurker501

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010

The voltage is 1.8v on the DDR3 sticks.

Since this is a gaming computer, I would require a processor that is over 3GHz. My games respond better to faster processors, not more cores. Unfortunately, for current processors to get something that outperforms my current CPU E8500 along with a motherboard for that new processor, it will cost MUCH more than just getting another 775 motherboard.

lurker501

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I decided to try Maziar's suggestion and get the GA-EP45T-USB3P. I was able to pick one up locally at Fry's Electronics, they had one for about $140. A little more than I wanted to spend, but they had a $30 rebate, so if I decide to keep the board, it will help a little. What was more important was a local place that would allow me to return the board if it didn't fix my issue.

So far I tested the DDR3 using Memtest 86+ I used the + version because the original Memtest, and Microsoft's memory diagnostics don't test memory above 4 Gig. I started to get errors right away. After testing 1 stick at a time, I found the culprit. It was one of the extra sticks I had (not the cause of the problem because I wasn't using this stick originally)

Nice thing is OCZ has a lifetime warranty on their memory. Bad thing is, they don't have any more of the OCZ3P13334GK Platinum Edition DDR3 memory. They said I would have to wait several weeks, or maybe more, before I get my 1 stick. The other option they said was that I could trade in all 4 sticks and get 2 sets of OCZ3P1333LV4GK which is also Platinum Edition, but low voltage. I'm pretty sure this motherboard can handle the lower voltage memory, so I requested an advanced RMA (they charge my card and remove the card after they get the old memory back)

In the mean time I decided to test with 4 Gig (2 sticks), Memtest 86+ ran without errors as did Microsoft's Memory Diags. I installed any missing drivers that Windows missed (Windows 7 64bit) it was just 2. The NEC USB 3.0 bus, and my Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion series sound card.

Installed Ventrilo, then downloaded and installed Steam, then installed Borderlands. Played for about an hour with no lock ups. I will test for the rest of the week (until my 15 day return period for the motherboard expires. It was a returned item, so it doesn't have the full 30 day return period)

I will update you on my progress. Thank you all for your help!

lurker501

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Well first night of game playing was a success. No lockups, no crashes. I had Ventrilo and Borderlands going, playing co-op with my buddy. All good.

Over then next 3 nights, I will keep testing and if by Friday night, I don't have any issues, I will consider this resolved.

Then I'll have to find someone to buy my EVGA 790i FTW motherboard. Barely used, no less. LOL

lurker501

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Thank you all for your help in figuring this issue out. The Gigabyte P45 board has been solid all week. I will be able to enjoy gaming on my system again thanks to all of you.