GA-P35-DS3R will not boot with updated BIOS

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • BIOS
  • Boot
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
February 27, 2011 10:50:06 PM

I have a GA-P35-DS3R rev 2.0 running an Intel Q8400.

8GB RAM Total

4GB Corsair 2x2GB PC2-6400
4GB OCZ 2x2GB PC2-6400

(I know I'm not supposed to mix RAM but it is irrelevant to this problem. Problem occurs with only a single stick of RAM also).

My problem is that I can not boot this system with any BIOS higher than F6. It goes into a continuous reset loop.

My boot drive is a 320GB WD with Vista 64. But it is not an OS problem. It will not boot from CD either.

I was trying to add two 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm drives in RAID1. The BIOS was giving 0GB as the size of one of the two disks. After a bit a research I found that the F9 BIOS fixed a problem with "1000GB drives detected with size error".

So I flashed with the F12 BIOS and then could not boot. The system goes through POST fine but instead of booting into Vista it will reset and start POST processing again. It will do this continuously. I can get into BIOS with no problems. I do the "Load Optimal Settings" and save settings. Everything is normal except it will not boot to OS. It will not even boot from the Vista CD. Eventually I found that F6 was the last BIOS does not exhibit this problem (I was running f5 before).

I have tried everything but nothing makes a difference. I removed all USB devices. I removed all the RAM except for a single stick. I disconnected all the disk drives. Eventually I was down to a just single stick of RAM and the CD drive. With the F6 BIOS I can boot into Memtest86 from the CD drive. Any BIOS higher than F6 and it will just continuously reset. One thing I do not understand is that the CD drive must be connected to the Marvel SATA ports. If I try to boot from CD when it is connected to the Intel SATA ports it will exhibit the same symptoms, even with the F6 BIOS.

Anybody know what changed from F6 to F7 BIOS that would cause this problem?

More about : p35 ds3r boot updated bios

a c 423 V Motherboard
February 28, 2011 5:02:09 PM

You probably have to reset everything in the bios again after flashing to the higher version. I would start with optimised settings then set up what ever else needs to be set up, like memory and especially for the RAID setup.
m
l
March 1, 2011 6:06:14 PM

I do not have any custom settings for the BIOS. So after "Loading Optimized Settings" all I need to do is configure the correct boot device.

m
l