August 6, 2010 5:20:02 PM

Hi.

First let me tell you my system.

Dell Studio XPS 1640
4 GB RAM
Intel Core2Duo T9550 @ 2.66GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD3670
Windows Vista 64-Bit

I frequently use Steam to play games (CSS, L4D2, Alienswarm, etc) but after 20 minutes or so, the FPS drops so much that I am unable to continue and have to exit the game to use the computer again. My Rainmeter config as well as Task Manager indicate that the processor is running at 100%.

At first I though it was a problem with the svchost.exe's running on my system, but then after using cmd and shutting down services that might eat up the CPU, I realized that was not the case. I also noticed that audiodg.exe was using a lot of CPU so I reinstalled my sound drivers and even reverted back to the default Microsoft sound driver (which sounded pretty bad) but that wasn't the problem either.

I then installed a utility called Right Mark CPU Clock Utility and I had that running while I was playing games. After playing for 20 minutes or so, I noticed the sudden drop in FPS again (from around 120 FPS to 20 FPS) and alt tabbed out to see that the CPU was running at 100% again, with the CPU Utility showing that the clock speed is at 1.60Ghz instead of 2.66. So this brought me to new ideas how to resolve this problem.

I started googling this issue and I found that disabling C1E and Speedstep in the BIOS might help keep the CPU running at 2.66GHz at all times. I wasn't able to find C1E in the BIOS but I found Speedstep there and disabled that. So I rebooted and logged back on and checked my CPU clock speed with both Right Mark CPU Clock Utility and CPU-Z and it showed that my clock was running at 1.60GHz permanently. I tried tweaking some settings in the RightMark CPU Utility but nothing changed that. I even downloaded a CPU stresser called Orthos Stress Prime 2004 and that wasn't able to bump the CPU back to 2.66GHz.

So I re-enabled Speedstep in the BIOS and the computer started at 2.66 GHz and occasionally dropped down to 2.13GHz over time, presumably because I wasn't doing anything that was very CPU-intensive. So I used the CPU stresser and it managed to bump the CPU back up to 2.66GHz at any time.

So I thought maybe now everything works again, so I started Counter Strike: Source in window mode so that I was able to monitor the CPU clock (with RightMark CPU Utility) and the CPU usage. I noticed that it started out at 2.66GHz, but then gradually over time it would drop to 2.13GHz (with a proportional drop in CPU from around 100-120 FPS on 2.66GHz to 60-100 FPS on 2.13GHz) and then when the game became unplayable at 20FPS, the CPU was back at 1.60GHz and at 100% usage.

I realized that waiting for 5 minutes or so would bump the CPU back up to 2.66GHz from 1.60GHz (I started this thread at 1.60GHz CPU and now its back at 2.66GHz), but playing games where you constantly have to exit out and wait for the CPU to recover and increase the clock speed is a pain.

So finally my question. Is there another way to keep the CPU above 2.13GHz or preferably always at 2.66GHz (Speedstep didn't work)?

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

More about : lower cpu ghz usual

a c 83 à CPUs
August 6, 2010 5:27:39 PM

Use something like HWMonitor to monitor your temps, it sounds like the cpu is throttling due to overheating. If your not already playing at a desk, I suggest you do.

You can get HWMonitor at the below link, it's free.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 5:44:10 PM

Yes probably heat causes the "throttlling". Check temps.
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2010 5:50:05 PM

Thank you for your replies. I took pictures of the temperatures and their corresponding CPU speed.
The temperature seems to be around the same... though I must note that I live in the Philippines where its usually around 28C in the room. But I usually have the aircon on, which reduces the environment temperature to around 24C.

This is the CPU when its running low, along with the temperatures using HWMonitor.

And this is the CPU when its back up to 2.66GHz, also with temperatures.

m
l
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 6:09:06 PM

This is idle?? If it is, it's way too hot for idle.
m
l
August 7, 2010 3:08:30 AM

Hmm. What would be safe or normal temperatures for the CPU? When I bought the laptop, I read that this laptop model has some heating issues but I never thought that it would be that high that the CPU would be throttled as a result.
Do you think I should buy a notebook cooling pad to lower the temperatures? Do these things even work well?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 7:54:48 AM

coldside said:
Hmm. What would be safe or normal temperatures for the CPU? When I bought the laptop, I read that this laptop model has some heating issues but I never thought that it would be that high that the CPU would be throttled as a result.
Do you think I should buy a notebook cooling pad to lower the temperatures? Do these things even work well?

Yes i think you should buy one. They'll get the temp down by 7-8C minimum.
August 9, 2010 3:59:11 AM

Best answer selected by coldside.
m
l
!