Sign in with
Your question

Setting up broadband services windows 2003 server

Last response: in Networking
March 5, 2010 8:25:29 AM

Hello,
my partner and I have a dell poweredge2651 duo 2000 mhz processers the server has 3 network ports we are wondering if its possible to run our dsl and cable into the separate lan cards for each side of the server and run the other network out to our router that serves our network ? we have windows 2003 on the server machine can this be done and how?
March 5, 2010 4:35:23 PM

If you're asking whether you can setup a gateway of your own, sure. Although it might just be easier and more economical to get a dual-WAN router.

Once you get into creating/managing your own gateway, it's pretty much assumed you already know quite a bit about the issues. It's not something intended for the casual user. Besides the gateway itself, you need to configure DHCP, NAT, DNS, firewall, security, users, etc., maybe even a VPN (for secure remote access). And having the option for multiple ISPs further complicates configuration. How do you intend to use these? Does it need load balancing? Is one preferred over the other for certain applications? Is one only a failover for the other?

I’m not saying its rocket science, but when someone asks me where to begin, that sends up a red flag, I worry that person may be in over their head. Esp. if dealing w/ this is not your primary responsibility (“partner” says to me “small business”). Nothing’s worse than having to run your own say, small legal business, AND take on the titles of network architect and administrator with all that spare time you must surely have.

An expert might even consider Linux a superior solution. Or perhaps using a Linux solution in a VM (virtual machine). Or maybe use multiple gateways (physical or virtual) and a management product like Astaro. Lots of different approaches depending on needs, budget, etc.

Anyway, if you’re going to jump into the deep end of the pool, then I suggest you find specific resources on the net dedicated to this topic and/or a good Windows server book. See if you’re up to tackling the technical issues before committing to a solution. Something like this forum is fine for narrow, targeted problems or getting clarification about some small technical issue, but not so great for something as broad as how to get a Windows gateway working. Again, I just worry, esp. when I have no clue as to your level of expertise and the full scope of your needs.

m
l
March 13, 2010 3:22:31 AM

eibgrad said:
If you're asking whether you can setup a gateway of your own, sure. Although it might just be easier and more economical to get a dual-WAN router.

Once you get into creating/managing your own gateway, it's pretty much assumed you already know quite a bit about the issues. It's not something intended for the casual user. Besides the gateway itself, you need to configure DHCP, NAT, DNS, firewall, security, users, etc., maybe even a VPN (for secure remote access). And having the option for multiple ISPs further complicates configuration. How do you intend to use these? Does it need load balancing? Is one preferred over the other for certain applications? Is one only a failover for the other?

I’m not saying its rocket science, but when someone asks me where to begin, that sends up a red flag, I worry that person may be in over their head. Esp. if dealing w/ this is not your primary responsibility (“partner” says to me “small business”). Nothing’s worse than having to run your own say, small legal business, AND take on the titles of network architect and administrator with all that spare time you must surely have.

An expert might even consider Linux a superior solution. Or perhaps using a Linux solution in a VM (virtual machine). Or maybe use multiple gateways (physical or virtual) and a management product like Astaro. Lots of different approaches depending on needs, budget, etc.

Anyway, if you’re going to jump into the deep end of the pool, then I suggest you find specific resources on the net dedicated to this topic and/or a good Windows server book. See if you’re up to tackling the technical issues before committing to a solution. Something like this forum is fine for narrow, targeted problems or getting clarification about some small technical issue, but not so great for something as broad as how to get a Windows gateway working. Again, I just worry, esp. when I have no clue as to your level of expertise and the full scope of your needs.

thank you its more for a failsafe and balancing the load since i dj on second life there are times i need to have the bandwith advaliable and times i dont we figured we would ask since our roommate has verizon dsl and i have armstrong cable with a static ip- again thank you for your reply
m
l
!