Sign in with
Your question

Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware vist

Last response: in Storage
July 25, 2012 6:10:19 PM

I have a Dell XP 430 that had a hard drive crash. I purchased a new one (Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 32M Cache, 500 GB SATA). Using the reinstall OS disk from Dell, I am doing a clean install.

The problem is when I am finishing the install I get "Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware".

I can detect the drive in the install process, have loaded the latest drivers from Dell, formatted the drive, no partitions, and am still having no luck.

Wondering if it is the reinstall disk that is the problem, or am I missing something basic.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Oh, running windows vista home premium, 64
July 25, 2012 7:26:24 PM

trying to adjust BIOS settings now to see if that does the trick.
m
l
July 25, 2012 7:51:25 PM

problem solved. Not really sure why I would have to change the RAID on the bios when replacing the drive with the exact same drive, but whatever works I guess
m
l
Related resources
April 16, 2013 4:46:03 AM

jekker5 said:
problem solved. Not really sure why I would have to change the RAID on the bios when replacing the drive with the exact same drive, but whatever works I guess
What exactly did you change in your BIOS setup to fix this problem?

m
l
a c 342 G Storage
April 16, 2013 10:02:26 AM

MAYBE this is what happened. Windows Vista (and its Install routine) can use IDE or SATA HDD units, but it cannot use a RAID array unless you use a special routine early in the Install process to add a device driver (must be read from a floppy disk or USB drive). So if your BIOS was set to configure the SATA unit as a RAID device, Windows Install could not use it. If you changed that BIOS SATA Port Mode to IDE, or to native SATA, or to AHCI (the real nature of SATA drives) , the Install routine CAN use those device types because it has its own drivers.
m
l
April 16, 2013 10:39:52 AM

Paperdoc said:
MAYBE this is what happened. Windows Vista (and its Install routine) can use IDE or SATA HDD units, but it cannot use a RAID array unless you use a special routine early in the Install process to add a device driver (must be read from a floppy disk or USB drive). So if your BIOS was set to configure the SATA unit as a RAID device, Windows Install could not use it. If you changed that BIOS SATA Port Mode to IDE, or to native SATA, or to AHCI (the real nature of SATA drives) , the Install routine CAN use those device types because it has its own drivers.

Actually, the BIOS was set to ACHI, I changed it to IDE and NOW its working!!! Thanks for your responce!!!:D 
m
l
September 21, 2013 1:42:03 PM

Paperdoc said:

After trying about twenty other suggestions (that did not work), I finally found this suggestion and it worked like a charm. I turned the RAID off (just to install Vista Home Premium w/SP1) and it worked like it should. THANK YOU!!!

m
l
!