ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

A Front Side Bus is a large parallel subsystem that transfers data between computer components inside a computer or between computers. Every component on a motherboard is connected to, and therefore shares, a single Front Side Bus (there are systems with parallel FSBs but that's another issue entirely).

QPi, or Quick Path Interconnect, is a Point to Point Interconnect. It connects the CPU (or several CPUs) to a I/O HUB (In and Out Hellenic United Backbone). The I/O HUB is where the devices on the motherboard connect too. A single Point connecting various devices to one or more Point to Point interconnects. QPi works in a serial-differential manner (as opposed to the parallel manner in which FSB works).

QPi therefore offers the ability to transfer larger amounts of data on a smaller electrical footprint than a Front Side Bus. The signal integrity is also less prone to degrading in a Point to Point Interconnect than it is with a Front Side Bus when scaling the operating frequency in an upwards fashion.

QPi offers:
1. Lower Latencies
2. More Bandwidth
3. More Scalability
4. Lower Footprint
5. Cheaper Implementation

johnnyq8

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
ok lets skip to the good stuff
QPI is the link of the components like cpu + ram + gpu if it was higher its better my rig QPI is 4.8 GT/s before my building i was looking for 8's of i7 and its QBI is 2.5 GT/s and thats why i got my 9's of i7