Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming PC for $1000-$1400

Last response: in Systems
June 5, 2010 2:52:17 AM

I built a gaming desktop about 6 years ago and it worked great for about 3 years and then it started randomly rebooting every 10-20 minutes. I could never figure out what was wrong with it and have been hesitant to put together another desktop ever since. However, I have been using a crappy Dell laptop since then and am eager to get something that can run the latest games with high settings. After looking at some of the prebuilt systems, it seems that I am only going to get what i want (at a decent price) by building it myself. I'd like to get something that will last me at least 4 years and that has the potential to be upgraded in the future.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Some time in June
BUDGET RANGE: $1000-$1400 (Will probably be more towards the upper end)
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Productivity software, Watching movies, Surfing the internet
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor (I have a 22" HD monitor), speakers
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I prefer and have experience with newegg.com, but any reputable retailer should work.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: Anything reliable.
OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not likely, but would like to keep the option open if it doesn't add much to the cost.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: Not sure

So far I have picked out:

*ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $239.99
*Intel Core i7-930 - $199.99
*G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - $169.99
*SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $79.99
*XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity - $294.99
*CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - $109.99
*COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $89.98
*Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM - $134.99
*Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - $19.99
The motherboard and Windows 7 OS are available as a combo for $15.00 off.

Total Cost: $1,380.90

Some concerns:
I'm not very knowledgeable on the latest video cards. Could I get a better performing ATI card for around the same price (or less) than the one I picked out? The performance difference between the GeForce GTX 465 and the next level of higher performing NVIDIA cards doesn't appear to justify the cost gap in my opinion.

As far as RAM goes, there are many options. What I picked out seems to be compatible with the motherboard I selected and the user feedback on Newegg is positive. Is there a better option?

I have never heard of Rosewill and am not sure about the quality of there products, but the power supply seems to be sufficient for my needs. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

I don't really want to spend a lot on the case, but what worries me about the one I selected is that the power supply goes in the bottom. Could this potentially cause any problems during assembly? I don't really care for the lighted fan and will probably end up replacing it. I would like something that is quiet.

Since I'm not overclocking, can I get away with not purchasing any 3rd party cooling system for the CPU?

Any other suggestions, as well as comments on the compatibility of these components are appreciated.

Update: I think that I will get the Asus P6X58D-E motherboard instead of the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, because I have read about a lot of issues with the Gigabyte motherboard that I don't want to deal with . In addition, this means that I need a DVD drive with a SATA interface, so I added that.

More about : gaming 1000 1400

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
June 5, 2010 3:13:36 AM

Hi!
I'll start by saying the Ati 5850 is superior to the 465 for @ the same cost.

Try to find a reference model all the partners are starting to make non-reference ones which you can't voltage tweak

I would choose a psu preferrably made by Corsair,Antec,Enermax,Seasonic.
A Corsair TX series will suit you fine a 650w.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Stay away from a Rosewill psu.
Otherwise your component choices look pretty solid to me.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
June 5, 2010 3:48:21 AM

Holy S@#T! that is a wicked deal for a 930!
+1 to brennon7
Wish they had microcenter's in Canada.
m
l
June 5, 2010 5:55:32 AM

davcon said:
Hi!
I'll start by saying the Ati 5850 is superior to the 465 for @ the same cost.

Try to find a reference model all the partners are starting to make non-reference ones which you can't voltage tweak

I would choose a psu preferrably made by Corsair,Antec,Enermax,Seasonic.
A Corsair TX series will suit you fine a 650w.

Stay away from a Rosewill psu.
Otherwise your component choices look pretty solid to me.

The TX series looks good. I think I'll go with the 750W version though, in case I want to upgrade the video card in the future. A modular power supply would be nice but I don't think it is worth the extra cost of the HX series. I'm hoping the case I selected is roomy enough so that airflow isn't a problem with all the cables.
m
l
June 5, 2010 7:20:37 AM

change case. go for a haff 932 or haff 922
m
l
June 5, 2010 8:26:51 AM

ya definitly go with 750w PSU and Corsair PSU are good if not the best Seasonic is also a really good company...Antec i would look into the PSU review as they use parts from other companies like Seasonic which makes their PSU that much better.

stick with 5850 and in the future you can add another one and crossfire it, which will make your gaming rig last longer. This is also the reason why i said to go for the 750w as you will need it.

Definitly change your HDD to this one below...excellent reviews and way better then WD...incase my link doesn't work...it is the samsung spinpoint F3 1 TB

If you want you can go for a tighter timing Ram something in the range of 7-7-7-24
but make sure is compatible with mother board and 6g is perfect for your build.
m
l
June 5, 2010 8:28:05 AM

also your computer might have crapped out because of your PSU...if you had a crappy brand or not enough Watts
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 5, 2010 12:23:40 PM

If it's in your budget you may want to consider another case as pointed out by
xurwin
i think this might fit in your budget and is well worth it, i do know about Antec cases
i don't know anything about Rosewill cases so i could be wrong

m
l
June 5, 2010 8:52:27 PM

davcon said:
If it's in your budget you may want to consider another case as pointed out by
xurwin
i think this might fit in your budget and is well worth it, i do know about Antec cases
i don't know anything about Rosewill cases so i could be wrong

That case seems to offer good air flow and has positive reviews on Newegg. Newegg offers it as a combo for $164.95 with:

Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W Power Supply - $129.95

This power supply received positive reviews, uses Seasonic parts, and is partially modular, so I may get this combo instead of the Rosewill case with the Corsair power supply. The main difference between the two power supplies appears to be that the Corsair TX has a single 12V rail, while the Antec TruePower has multiple. Is this an issue that I should be worried about?
m
l
June 5, 2010 10:11:34 PM

Jacks_85 said:
ya definitly go with 750w PSU and Corsair PSU are good if not the best Seasonic is also a really good company...Antec i would look into the PSU review as they use parts from other companies like Seasonic which makes their PSU that much better.

stick with 5850 and in the future you can add another one and crossfire it, which will make your gaming rig last longer. This is also the reason why i said to go for the 750w as you will need it.

Definitly change your HDD to this one below...excellent reviews and way better then WD...incase my link doesn't work...it is the samsung spinpoint F3 1 TB

If you want you can go for a tighter timing Ram something in the range of 7-7-7-24
but make sure is compatible with mother board and 6g is perfect for your build.

Does Western Digital have a bad reputation? I've alway thought that they made good quality hard drives. The hard drive you linked looks good, but wouldn't the 64 Mb cache and SATA 6.0 Gb/s interface on the WD Caviar Black make it the better choice. The WD drive also has a longer waranty on it (5 years vs. 3). I couldn't find any benchmark results for this particular version of the Caviar Black, but the 2 Tb version appears to outperform the Samsump Spinpoint F3 on application loading, gaming, and overal desktop performance. However, I don't know if similar results would be found with the 1 Tb version that I linked in my original post.

As for RAM, I may go with one of these:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 998679
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

They have lower timings. Which one I choose will probably depend on the price at the time I buy (sales, rebates, etc.), but they all seem to be good brands (Mushkin and G.Skill) and compatible with the motherboard I selected. Would there be a noticeable difference in something with timings of 7-8-7-24 compared to 8-8-8-24?
m
l
June 5, 2010 10:13:36 PM

xurwin said:
change case. go for a haff 932 or haff 922

On second thought, I may get the Coolermaster HAF 922 case with the Corsair 750TX power supply if it doesn't add too much to the cost when I'm ready to purchase. I've seen Coolermaster cases in person and they appear to be very sturdy.

Also, one thing that concerns me with the HAF 922 is that some users are experiencing problems with their computer restarting when they use the front USB ports due to them not being grounded properly or some other cause.

CM HAF-922 Front Panel + Static Discharge Problems

HAF 932 Front USB ports
m
l
June 6, 2010 12:57:04 AM

western digital makes good HDD but for 1 TB and lower right now people seems to all be going for the Samsung SpinPoint F3....you can't go wrong with WD either though. Try to do a search on google for Spinpoint VS WD one and see for yourself

i did that not too long ago and i think spinpoint are suggested more often.

7 and 8 timing is not a huge difference...i don't think you will see much difference and both brands of ram are good so no worries there and pick by the price when you purchase.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 6, 2010 11:37:50 AM

acell said:
That case seems to offer good air flow and has positive reviews on Newegg. Newegg offers it as a combo for $164.95 with:

Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W Power Supply - $129.95

This power supply received positive reviews, uses Seasonic parts, and is partially modular, so I may get this combo instead of the Rosewill case with the Corsair power supply. The main difference between the two power supplies appears to be that the Corsair TX has a single 12V rail, while the Antec TruePower has multiple. Is this an issue that I should be worried about?

Either case combo deals you mentioned are top quality the ANTEC duo or the CM/Corsair duo it really comes down to personal preference for a case(aesthetics).
Psu wise Antec TP and Corsair TX are both solid units.Someone more qualified then me may answer your question about single rail vs. multi rail
The Antec is made by Seasonic and uses the same power design as their M12D series so i wouldn't be concerned.
Nonetheless both cases are highly regarded for airflow.
m
l
June 6, 2010 12:25:03 PM

with the hds I'm pretty sure the difference is pretty small, but the Samsung's a bit better

Quote:
7 and 8 timing is not a huge difference...i don't think you will see much difference and both brands of ram are good so no worries there and pick by the price when you purchase.

Agreed.
m
l
June 8, 2010 11:38:53 AM

I went a head and ordered the parts listed in my first post. Thanks for the help.
m
l
June 8, 2010 11:41:56 AM

Best answer selected by acell.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 8, 2010 1:34:31 PM

Thanks acell ! i'm glad i could help and i hope your build goes well!
Enjoy!
m
l
!