Last response: in CPUs
August 6, 2010 9:26:30 PM

Atom dual core. you'll be happy.
Score
a c 687 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
a b å Intel
August 7, 2010 4:53:06 AM

Depends on if it is a single or dual core atom you are talking about and if you are lucky as I was and get a sempron 140 that has an unlockable and stable second core.
Score
Related resources
August 7, 2010 4:59:39 AM

logainofhades said:
Depends on if it is a single or dual core atom you are talking about and if you are lucky as I was and get a sempron 140 that has an unlockable and stable second core.

how to unlock that core??? my friend has that 140....... :D 
Score
a c 687 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
a b å Intel
August 7, 2010 5:00:49 AM

You must have a motherboard that supports core unlocking first.
Score
August 7, 2010 5:58:24 AM

ohh my friend has an entry level mobo.. asus M2N68 Plus...... i don't think it has that function....
Score
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 8:24:43 AM

Welll... Almost all AMD boards have it entry or not. Most companies have found that saying they have the function to unlock AMD CPU's have drawn the buyers to well... Buy their product. The Sempron is cheaper, and the unlockable core is great. Plus not to mention it is so great that on a sempron you can get a seperate graphics card. While for the Atom, they are included as a discrete graphics, and usually discrete is very bad. But, if your just surfing the internet and stuff i suppose it's enough.
However the Sempron as it is a seperate chip, you can still get a great OC as the heatsink is much better than the Atom heatsinks.
Score
August 7, 2010 8:38:54 AM

atoms arent meant to replace ur oc'd beasts... wth? atomdc have alot of advantage on semp for what it is made for.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 8:47:13 AM

I'm not saying it is... You can just oc Semprons better because it has better heatsinks :p  meaning you can install 3rd party heatsinks -.-
Score
August 7, 2010 8:56:37 AM

... and i am sure you know atomdc aren't meant o be oc'd, let alone having good heatsinks :/ 
Score
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 9:04:21 AM

I'd go for the Sempron. It's the best single core CPU at the moment. It's not my opinion though, it's Tom's. So I guess its credibility can be trusted.

Single core Atom has lower power consumption, but lacks in performance.

No subjective opinion or fanboism here, just facts.
Score
August 7, 2010 9:14:29 AM

Single core atom suks no doubt. no ones talking about that here. its Dual core we are talking about.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 10:00:41 AM

Well Yeah, that's what i mean, since they aren't meant to be oc'd thats the downside =P You can actually OC the Sempron 140 pretty good...
Score
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 10:29:44 AM

Fetal said:
Single core atom suks no doubt. no ones talking about that here. its Dual core we are talking about.

I don't recall the OP said anything about dual core atom, you're the one who brought that up. Besides, comparing dual core and single core is like comparing apple and orange.

Dual core has the advantage of sharing tasks between the 2 cores, but in terms of speed, the 2,7GHz Sempron is faster for single tasking. Moreover, if it's unlocked to dual core. The dual core atom will be inferior from any perspective.

Apple to apple comparison, Sempron (single core) has better performance than the single core Atom. Even more when it's unlocked, a dual core Sempron (Athlon II) will wipe out the dual core Atom. Yet, in terms of power consumption the Atom is superior. But then again, in the right hands, Sempron's power consumption can be lower due to C 'n Q and undervolting.

Now let's be rational here, compare a single core with a single core. No fanboism, no side taking.
Score
August 7, 2010 10:50:23 AM

hi tiger...
since no one has asked, what atoms are you refering too and what generation.
single core dual core....
diamondvile or pinetrail and so on...
Score
August 7, 2010 12:48:58 PM

Yes i see what you are going on with. don't be a smarty pants by writing so much. (which is useless)

the logical choice is Atom dc. single core atom suks i said.(until unless you're green freak earth loving soul)

but you cant say that AMD processors carry better instructions than Intel's Atom dual core that were reviewed few weeks ago by Tom's Hardware.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 1:34:31 PM

Fetal said:
Yes i see what you are going on with. don't be a smarty pants by writing so much. (which is useless)

the logical choice is Atom dc. single core atom suks i said.(until unless you're green freak earth loving soul)

but you cant say that AMD processors carry better instructions than Intel's Atom dual core that were reviewed few weeks ago by Tom's Hardware.

Like I said, FAN BOY!!! It wouldn't be an equal comparison to compare dual core with single core. I did say that a dual core is a better performer than a single core, despite the manufacturer's origin. When did I ever said otherwise? All that I said is a fact, not some cheesy line like: "Atom dual core. you'll be happy". What was that supposed to mean?

Work on your English, it's "SUCKS", not suks... and more along the line

As for the green freak earth loving soul (whatever that means), I do build my PCs based on "Green" concept, mine and a few of my friends'. With both products from Intel and AMD.

And don't even get me started with your degenerating post on the other thread...

Ignorant and Egocentric, the ultimate lousy combination... :non: 

Score
August 7, 2010 2:22:36 PM

Bwahaha bonafide Kid^. enough said.
Score
August 7, 2010 4:54:15 PM

please do not start a war and call each other words.. period. this was a request thread not some flame war thread. KEEP IT CIVIL............
Score
August 13, 2010 4:11:57 AM

Toms Hardware did this one a while ago...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Atom-Athlon-Efficie...

In short it's sempron. Don't know where you were going with this one but if your looking to buy a laptop of some sort then I would look at the neo processor. Between that and ati graphics it's a better platform.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 7:48:05 PM

By all means I find that the Atom single core N450 or N280 processor hold quite some value, and is not as sucking as many people mention.
It is about on par with my EeePc701 with Celeron M processor clocked at 800Mhz.

Pair it with a cheap SSD, and an Atom system runs cool and really flies.
It really does not matter much if running webpages, watching upto 720p or 480p youtube video's, if the CPU is taxed 90 or 20%.
For those tasks the Atom is more than upto the task.
For most things I do the Atom (even singlecore) rules, as the Celeron I have in my older EeePc is slower (unless when overclocked to 900Mhz).

Gaming? No! Again, its slightly better than the Celeron. But any Celeron running at more than 2Ghz blows even the dualcore Atoms in the dust.
The good about the atom is, that it's fast for small operations.
The bad is heavy and intensive operations it's really slow (like gaming, compressing, encoding etc), partly due to it having only 512k Cache memory. The celeron usually has between 2 and 4MB of cache, and perhaps your model might have more.
Score
November 11, 2010 7:48:57 AM

For all the people who said get a Atom what on earth are you on?? It doesnt matter what Atom you have, a sempron 140 will destroy it. its not even in the same league.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2010 6:36:36 PM

Read what date the last post was before you dead topic revive it park. It should have told you this thread was 3 months in the dead department.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 11, 2010 8:54:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!