Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer Lag i7920 HD5870 6 gigs ram and msi platinum motherboard !

Last response: in CPUs
August 6, 2010 9:51:48 PM

Specs:

i7 920
Msi Platinum Motherboard
HD5870 Gfx Card
6GB OCZ RAM
500 GB Seagate HDD
1000W power supply
win 7 pro 64-bit

This computer was built few months back with no issues what so ever ran perfect etc.,,,
I moved to a new place ( Residence ) and my computer lag is killing me,,,,,
It lags When playing music (STUTTERING) Lags when playing games... lags when streaming youtube videos,,,,
Cant find a solution checked almost everything ..,,

NOTE: DID GET BLUESCREEN OF DEATH ONCE BUT IT RESTARTED ITSELF AND HAVENT SEEN THE SCREEN AGAIN ,,,,

Things I have already Checked:

1) Heating of cpu etc,,,, No over heat but IOH shows 63c
2) Cant be GFX card because it does it if im playing an mp3 even and in game graphics r perfect,
3) Diskfrag done .... scanned with Anti virus NO SPYWARE OR MALWARE OR VIRUS ETC....
4) Ran extended ram diagnostics that took for ever but no errors were reported
5) Ran chkdisk ,,,, no errors were reported
6) Ran a registery and HDD cleaner ,,,,
7) About to do a clean FORMAT ,,, Last resort !

Any help would be great,,, I Read in another lag thread on this forum that it was the internet card or something,. I dont understand why Internet would causes the computer to lag,,,, but Ill remove the card an try ,,, its a linksys N wireless card,

a b à CPUs
August 6, 2010 10:35:46 PM

Turn of hard drive's disk cache in Bios. That'll probably fix it!
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 12:35:54 AM

godsd3vil said:
Specs:

i7 920
Msi Platinum Motherboard
HD5870 Gfx Card
6GB OCZ RAM
500 GB Seagate HDD
1000W power supply
win 7 pro 64-bit

This computer was built few months back with no issues what so ever ran perfect etc.,,,
I moved to a new place ( Residence ) and my computer lag is killing me,,,,,
It lags When playing music (STUTTERING) Lags when playing games... lags when streaming youtube videos,,,,
Cant find a solution checked almost everything ..,,

NOTE: DID GET BLUESCREEN OF DEATH ONCE BUT IT RESTARTED ITSELF AND HAVENT SEEN THE SCREEN AGAIN ,,,,

Things I have already Checked:

1) Heating of cpu etc,,,, No over heat but IOH shows 63c
2) Cant be GFX card because it does it if im playing an mp3 even and in game graphics r perfect,
3) Diskfrag done .... scanned with Anti virus NO SPYWARE OR MALWARE OR VIRUS ETC....
4) Ran extended ram diagnostics that took for ever but no errors were reported
5) Ran chkdisk ,,,, no errors were reported
6) Ran a registery and HDD cleaner ,,,,
7) About to do a clean FORMAT ,,, Last resort !

Any help would be great,,, I Read in another lag thread on this forum that it was the internet card or something,. I dont understand why Internet would causes the computer to lag,,,, but Ill remove the card an try ,,, its a linksys N wireless card,

hmmm..... Well lets see what else i can think of that can be the cause. :heink: 

have you updated all the drivers for everything? (some drivers can go bad causing problems like what you see even if they dont seam related to the issue. Had that )

Also, when you've checked the cpu temp, was 63c on load, idle, or half load?
Fully loaded using a stress program like prime95, that's a good temp.
Half load, that is kind pushing the average area as most core i7's 100% load temps are in the 70c range.
Idle, thats not good as they should be in the 30c to 40c's range.

With you said you moved, maybe the HSF got knocked loose and is not cooling effectively. this you would need to reapply the thermal compound to correct the issue.

Beyond that if those 2 things are not it, then all i can say is reinstall the OS. :/  As you've already done most of the other trouble shooting i would of recommended.
Related resources
August 7, 2010 12:49:19 AM

Ioh is at 63c no load but CPU temp is at 35/40 all cores are below
40c only ioh is at 60 running some music. The fan on the heatsink
is locked in so I don't think it could move the heatsink? Should I remove
the stock fan as I find it hard to remove it and check? Ioh is southbridge
I think so wonder why it's at 63c.
August 7, 2010 3:34:44 AM

Do you think the power supply might be the culprit? Just sounds weird that it was working fine and now all of a sudden it's not. I'm surprised it's not the RAM.
a c 460 à CPUs
August 7, 2010 4:22:11 AM

Sounds like maybe you have a corrupt driver somewhere. I would get driver sweeper from guru 3d, remove video and sound drivers, run driver sweeper in safe mode then restart and reinstall the drivers.
August 7, 2010 6:19:23 AM

I think its the power supply too but I dont understand how to check it. I asked people and they said it would be CPU but seems everything is in order but i still get a constant 1-2 second lag and a buzzing sound like if I stream a video or music it still buzzes like static. Drivers I have checked updated etc. Updated bios. Could it be im not getting a steady stream of power, I wonder if I should take it to a shop to diagnose, mabye they can figure something out (TRIAL AND ERROR) since they have extra parts to put in. Ram is fine I ran extended diagnostic took few hours but came out fine.
August 7, 2010 6:21:15 AM

I read something about the wifi card causing problems. Dont see why because I have been using it and it worked perfect before. Anyone know anything that can link the wireless card to system lag ? I think ill remove it and check to see how it runs .... plan to do a reinstall if i cant figure this out an post back !Just doing some backups right now.
August 7, 2010 6:31:17 AM

can someone run hwmonitor and see there IOH temp on idle since mine is 63c and wondering if its normal. Thanks
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 7:24:02 AM

Did this start instantly after you moved to the new residence? I know that this is probably unlikely, but I wonder if the computer isn't receiving a steady stream of power from the wall, you know, if your new residence was wired by monkeys :sarcastic:  . The power supply could've become bad too.

I would reformat to make sure it isn't just a driver malfunction, but if that keeps going on I would say that the comp isn't receiving enough power(mine lags bad when I try to set voltages too low, then blue screens).
Feel free to disagree ;)  .
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 12:13:43 PM

godsd3vil said:
I think its the power supply too but I dont understand how to check it. I asked people and they said it would be CPU but seems everything is in order but i still get a constant 1-2 second lag and a buzzing sound like if I stream a video or music it still buzzes like static. Drivers I have checked updated etc. Updated bios. Could it be im not getting a steady stream of power, I wonder if I should take it to a shop to diagnose, mabye they can figure something out (TRIAL AND ERROR) since they have extra parts to put in. Ram is fine I ran extended diagnostic took few hours but came out fine.

Hmmm....
Quote:
a buzzing sound like if I stream a video or music it still buzzes like static.

Does this come from the speakers or the computer it self?

If this come from the computer, i would think its the PSU as well as that the only part i would really think that would be buzzing.

What is you're PSU exactly? Model and brand?

Maybe if you can barrow a friend(s) PSU's, you can test this out?

As for testing a PSU (without a freinds PSU), you could look into 1 of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Although i couldn't say which one to get as i never had a need to get 1. :/ 

Quote:
Did this start instantly after you moved to the new residence? I know that this is probably unlikely, but I wonder if the computer isn't receiving a steady stream of power from the wall, you know, if your new residence was wired by monkeys :sarcastic:  . The power supply could've become bad too.

I would reformat to make sure it isn't just a driver malfunction, but if that keeps going on I would say that the comp isn't receiving enough power(mine lags bad when I try to set voltages too low, then blue screens).

No, you got a legitimate idea that can be the cause. My grandma computer (just a slightly more updated desktop of what i got) had similar issue such as this. not reciving enough power or to much. Think there was 1 year when my dad replaced 3 psu's becuase they got killed over it....

What my dad did was after that many psu's dieing add a UPS with her computer and all the problems have disappeared. Now just a few months ago, I just replaced a psu for her but that was due to old age. (like 4 or 5 years.) it wasn't the Highest quality psu but not the worst.

August 7, 2010 4:56:30 PM

Haserath said:

Could be the problem because it did start when i moved into the new residence... any way to check if it as in fact the voltages? Since the residence is a house with lots of people having rooms its likely that its due to the wall socket but how do i verify that apart from taking the entire system elsewhere.
August 7, 2010 5:00:02 PM

PSU brand IS XION 1000 watts. Cheapened out on the PSU ... but its only been few months ...
The sound comes from speakers not PSU ... the PSU does make the sound due to the fan on the PSU but the stuttering is through speakers. The only way to get a steady stream of power is to buy a power conditioner and thats $150 :( 
a c 460 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 4:16:06 AM

How much was that PSU? You probably could have spent the same amount on a lower wattage PSU with much better quality and still been plenty safe with your current setup.
!