XFX 5870 no display problem

fifty-pence

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hello,

I recently replaced my dual 8800gtx's with a XFX 5870. However there is no display being shown on the monitor from boot. There is a signal being received (I think) as the no signal message is not displayed. Spec is as follows:
Motherboard: Striker II formula
Processor: E8500 with H50-1 cooler
Memory: 4Gb Corsair
Power supply : ST1000

I've tried different DVI cables, removing memory sticks, different PCI-E slots. Same problem. I RMA'd the card and they've returned it with a fairly comprehensive test sheet showing it's not faulty. Therefore, I concluded it must be a incompatibility with the motherboard and used it as a good excuse to upgrade. Therefore I bought:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Processor: i7 920
Memory: Corsair XM3 6Gb

Inserting the XFX 5870 - same problem. PC boots fine but no output to screen. If I put my old 8800GTX back in, there's output to the screen straight away. Therefore the only conclusions I can come to is:

a) There is some sort of bizzare sync problem with the Samsung 225BW (have tried on both VGA and DVI).
b) The 5870 is actually faulty (although the PC is booting fine by the sounds of it)

I did plugging my PC into my Pansonic LCD TV and that gave the same results so it can't be the monitor??

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as it's driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance

Joel

G

Hey.....

did u tried running the XFX 5870 on another system,may be your motherboard is not compatible with the XFX5870.

currently there 2 conclusions....
1)Ur motherboard is incompatible.
or
2)There is some common problem with device even though comprehensive test sheet showing it's not faulty.

possibly if ur board supports dual video cards try fitting both together and select 8800GTX as bootup card from BIOS.

Hope the problem is solved as early as possible......

regards......

fifty-pence

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried the card on both a Striker II formula and a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R now with the same results. I've swapped everything except the ST1000 power supply which should be fine as it will happily power 2 x 8800GTX's.
Putting a 8800GTX back on the same motherboards and the machine boots first time.

Regarding your point re dual cards, what will that help me achieve?

Kind regards,

Joel

fifty-pence

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hi,

Can't be a driver problem as the error is happening at POST. But I did remove the drivers anyway from Windows (but I mostly use Ubuntu) but it's not even getting that far.

CMOS battery - both motherboards have a CLR CMOS function so have tried that numerous times.

I'm sending the card back for a refund and will replace with a Gigabyte one. I've since been advised that the XFX is a non-referenced card and that "may" be the problem.

tan007

Distinguished
May 1, 2010

Hey......

there is one punk near my house who had this problem.Now suppost there are 2 cards.One a and b.Now booting through card b is erroneous.SO he tried from BIOS to boot from card a.

wat happens.....
now system first reads through card a without giving error,Then it boots up any after starting in windows it reads another card.....at that time u have already boot in windows and now the erroneous card is going to serve u.........

Thanks.....

wish u get out of problem....

holenjd

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
I am having the EXACT same issue here. My computer works just fine with my old Geforce 8800GTS and I get no signal from any port on the new XFX card. It is getting power as the fan is moving on the XFX card. I flashed the bios to the newest available and cleared the BIOS before that. I then tried putting the Geforce card in the first PCI-E slot and the XFX in the other PCI-E slot. It did boot however it still didn't see the card but the fan was going extremely loud this time. I went ahead and install the newest ATI Catalyst drivers and that didn't help. My mobo does post 3 codes on it that keep repeating, C0, 23, 45. Now I looked these up for my mobo but it doesn't make any sense and I've opened tickets with EVGA and XFX. I am currently awaiting what they have to say.

Specs:
EVGA nVidia 590SLI AMD
AMD Athlon X2 5600+
XFX ATI Radeon 5870 (replacing Geforce 8800 gts)
Antec 650 watt PS
3GB Kingston HyperX
3 HDD all SATA
Windows Vista 32bit

Any help would be appreciated.

holenjd

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Well, XFX found the issue and sent me a reply. I don't know if it will help anyone else, but i thought i'd submit it anyway.

..."590 SLI chipsets do not work with the PCIE 2.1 cards. The support for most of them was dropped back in 2006-2007. You would need a different motherboard for this card or a different card for this motherboard. Basically any motherboard that is still able to be purchased from a major retailer like Newegg will support this card. Any PCIE 2.0 card like an HD 4000 series or any of the NVIDIA cards should work in your motherboard."

I hope this helps someone.

shananmb

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
I'm having the same issue. Brand new ASUS board (M4A89GTD PRO /USB3) with AMD 1090T. The Board will not boot with the 5870 installed. Neither will my old system (E6850 on Asus P5N). Both systems work fine with a MSI 8800 gtx.
RMA's the card to TigerDirect for another one. That was the only option as XFX explicitly states (in fine print) on their site that there is no warranty whatsoever to the end user, only to the vendor that you purchase it from.