Sign in with
Your question

Damaged LGA 1156 socket?

Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2010 12:43:04 AM

Hello. I sold the Asus P6T Deluxe and the guy traded in a brand new Asus P7P55D EVO.

However, after I bought the Intel Core i7 875k, I removed the socket protector and realized that the pins were all there, however, a few pins on the socket were a little bit 'pushed'

so I got a small scissor (the one girls use to remove the hairs), and bended the few pins back to the original position.

however, there was a small pin that was a little bit twisted, NOT BROKEN, but a bit pushed

the way I see it, as long as it makes contact, that's fine

So, I installed the chip, and it worked PERFECTLY

Here is a picture, just imagine this picture, imagine this is one of the small pins in the socket

I overclocked the Intel Core i7 875k to 4.1 Ghz, and it's running perfectly

Can somebody explain me when should I send a RMA?

I really think that if all the pins are there, and if all of them are making contact, I don't see a reason to replace or RMA it
August 7, 2010 2:40:12 AM

rafarataneneces said:

I overclocked the Intel Core i7 875k to 4.1 Ghz, and it's running perfectly

Can somebody explain me when should I send a RMA?

I really think that if all the pins are there, and if all of them are making contact, I don't see a reason to replace or RMA it

I am not sure exactly what the question is. It sounds like the board and the socket work fine. Unless the pins still bother you I wouldn't RMA it.
m
l
August 7, 2010 9:42:02 AM

Well fist of all, I know freaking Intel will come up with a new CPU in 6 months, so in 6 months I want to sell this motherboard with the processor as a COMBO.

I've read all over the internet and if 2 pins touch each other it can short circuit the CPU, and can kill it

My question is, can this kill the VGA cards, Power Supply....?

I hope it doesn't happens

To be honest, I think this guy removed the socket protector, or maybe it was when I did it, I am not sure, but somehow, 2 pins were a little lower than what they should be

the other pin was a little bent, I say 65% of the normal length of the pin (due to the pin being bent)

I've read that if the pins are bent then the motherboard can give problems like

not turning on
random reboots

anyway, my question is, if the pins are making contact, and I can run a Prime 95 test with all 8 threads running at 100%, I shouldn't have to worry right?

What happens if there is a pin that is not making contact?

Anyway, today I learned that I should NEVER EVER buy an Intel motherboard without checking the pins on the moment

AMD motherboards are rock solid

Intel is very fragile

and I had no idea that these pins were so fragile

but anyway, the way I see it, I unbended all of the pins, except one, which is now around 65% of the normal length of the pin

but they are not broken, all the pins are there, and I guess all of them are making contact

Other wise it wouldn't be broken

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions

My last question, I repeat, will be

1) if 2 pins touch each other, I get a short circuit, CPU can die

2) if 1 pin fails to make contact between the motherboard and the CPU, what are the consequences?
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2010 9:56:22 AM

I just read this:

"This is where a lot of the confusion is coming from. All the pins are contacting weather or not they make a dimple in the contact pad. This is why there isn't any stability issues. As I said before if there was no contact none of these computers would boot because the interfaces with the memory and GPUs would be totally hosed."

So, I think if one pin is a little bent, who cares

anyway, if the computer is unstable, it means it is not generating contact in some place, and then I'll have to RMA the motherboard

anyway, Asus is pretty good, so I have 3 years to return this puppy if it ever fails

Now, if it would be bent backwards, or side wise, it could create a short circuit, that would be nasty
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 7, 2010 5:52:41 PM

If it is working satisfactorily, I'd leave it alone.
m
l
August 7, 2010 6:19:01 PM

jsc said:
If it is working satisfactorily, I'd leave it alone.

I just run Acronis True Image Home 2010 and created a backup of my Windows 7 partition, 32 GB in total with high compression

I think, there is a THEORY

the theory says

PUSH AND PULL

1) you can push, and try to re-arrange the pins, and it will work
2) if you pull, thinking that you are going to "un-twist" the pins, then you WILL damage the socket

one time I bought a GTX 470 that came with a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter
the cables were bent, so I tried to bend them again, and couldn't do it

the cable was starting to give signal problems, but I think that if I would have bent the cables back to their original position, then I would still be using that cable

maybe I needed to buy super glue to make sure the plastic wrap stays in it's position, but anyway, I decided to PULL

After pulling, man, it was IMPOSSIBLE to put those micro cords inside the adapter, just impossible, it was too tiny, the cable of course, never worked again

So, here is my theory

If you have a socket 1156 and some pins are bent, you can use a hair scissor, credit card... and try to put the pins in their original position

so that is what I did, except for one, which was bent, and I was unable to make it straight just as a new pin.
the only 'solution' was to PULL so that the wire can be totally flat, and then put it back again in the socket

so, the theory says, if you PULL the pins out of the socket, forget it, damaged motherboard

if you do your best to just arrange the pins in a way in which they make contact with the CPU, then that's ALL YOU NEED.

I've been running this computer at 4.1 Ghz for over 12 hours now, it works perfectly

for me it's like the stereo cables from the 90s. The RED AND BLACK cables, remember?

When those cables were a little bit twisted/bent, you can still hook them up to your stereo.

The rule was, as long as ALL those small threads are there, you can connect it, the length of the threads didn't mattered, the only thing that mattered was if ALL the cables were making contact

This is sort of the same
if a pin is a bit bent, that's fine
but if a pin is not attached to the socket in a stable, secure and tight way, then forget it, it won't make contact

so I hope my theory works
I did damaged the mini HDMI to HDMI cable, but I learned never ever to PULL again, especially with those ultra tiny cables that electronics have now a days
m
l
!