bigislandigor

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I was just about to order my parts for a Sandy Bridge build and heard about all the problems. Do I have this right, the Cpu's are alright, its the Motherboards that are bad? If that's the case how long will it be before good Motherboards are available?

potzy81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Yes, the CPU's are fine. Specifically it is the Intel SATAII ports on the motherboard that a degrading and were only functioning for a few months.

A few of the motherboard manufacturers have already fixed the issue and have begun shipping out new B3 motherboards. Its important that when you go to buy one, that it has the B3 designation.

I know for sure that AsRock (maker of the fantastic P67 Extreme4) has begun shipping their updated boards.

http://www.asrock.com/news/events/201102ex/warranty.html

With that being said, I would expect the Socket 1155 P67/H67 boards to start becoming available in the next couple weeks. Definitely worth the wait IMO.

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
bigislandigor......I hope you have nerves of steel cause when you go to boot that Sandy Bridge sucker for the first time, odds are...it won't. Just read about the RAM issues on the ASUS board alone and maybe you'll think twice. After that, you have to relearn the OC procedure because it is very different than the conventional way of changing the base clock. It can be tricky, even the mobo makers weren't sure how to do it at first. If you want to OC, make sure you buy a "k" model SB CPU (2500k or 2600k) or it won't OC.

I know there are a lot of fanboys on this site that will flame me for saying all this but that is too bad....this site is about helping people, not withholding information. Just cause I learned to dislike the SB doesn't mean I am not welcome to my opinion. A lot of young men bought a SB setup in the first weeks it was out (before the recall) and there was hundreds of HELP posts on many boards from all over the world. Judging from the tone of their posts, I'd say a lot of people spent sleepless nights trying desperately to get their SB to work properly. After that nightmare, along came an Intel engineering foul-up and the recall happened. As a result, I am sure there are many people out there that would rather have never heard of Mr. Sandy Bridge. Luckily, I didn't have RAM issues with mine but the daily freeze ups were a different matter. Never could solve that and dumped it for a 1366. Thank you to ASUS for allowing me to return that dog. Some have migrated to 1366 socket CPU's and some even went the way of AMD. There are no wrong answers except going to an 1156 socket.

So, if you decide to go for it, just remember it isn't going to be a piece of cake. Sure it will go very fast once you get it figured out. But remember to buy a very good quality CPU cooler because 4.5-5Ghz generates a lot of heat. Buy 1.5v RAM, such as Corsair Vengance stuff. Remember too that your CPU, motherboard and RAM warranty is void if you cook them. You now have been warned about Sandy Bridge. If you still want to go there, they should be available next week or so.

Have fun! :D

Asus and their subsidiary AsRock announced that boards are shipping. I haven't seen any in the channel as yet.

As for the above mentioned problems .... I'm kinda lost as to where its coming from. The OC procedure for SB is extremely simple (2 minutes tops) compared to what we do w/ 1366 and BCLK adjustments.

SB OC Procedure as per Guru3D test

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-review/10

1. Leave baseclock for what it is right now (most never touch it)
2. If optional in the BIOS, increase the TDP limit of your processor to 200 Watts
3. With a 2600K set your base multiplier at 34
4. And now set the per core multiplier at a maximum of your liking, we applied an MP of 46 on all four cores
5. Increase CPU voltage, though setting AUTO might work fine, we applied 1.35V
6. Make sure your processor is properly cooled (we used the stock Intel cooler and forced the fan to 70% RPM)
7. Save and Exit BIOS / UEFI

So these settings allow us to work at a baseline clock of roughly 3400 MHZ, which helps us in IDLE power consumption. However, once the processor gets a kick in the proverbial nuts, it can turbo any or all cores towards that multiplier of 46 times that 100 MHz baseclock frequency, that's a 4600 MHz configuration setup in less than a minute.

OC's to 4.5 Ghz will NOT require anything more than a stock cooler as is evidenced in 100's of tests in addition to the above.

Any RAM certified for SB boards will be fine. 1.5 Volt is certainly not a requirement. I should note that my 1366 based system w/ a 920 is running with both RAM and CPU undervolted. (1.1125 Vcore / 1.5625 V-DRAM @ 3.8 Ghz). For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226180

Compatible with Intel LGA1156 and 1155 (Sandy Bridge) platforms.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Don't pay attention to this dude he just love to RANT about the new platforms,I feel a bit sorry for the old man,he claims to have over 30 years of PC experience but can't get Sandy of the ground...what a joke

galeener

Distinguished
The mother boards will be in retail channel in about 3-4 weeks maybe earlier.
There was a problem with the sata II controllers . And no they did not crap out from regular use in 2-3 weeks. The did crap out for people that were testing them for continous use for intel. You can take this with a grain of salt but intel said some people during normal use may never even see the problem.
The sandy bridge is a good chipset just make sure you get one that has the B3 stepping marking on it.
The CPUs are fine if your wanting to go ahead and purchase that.
I'm not sure whats going on lately but theres been a little to much name calling and arguing on these forums.
Everyone has an opinion if you have data to prove some one incorrect enlighten them random ranting doesn't really help anyone and usually ends up just confusing the issues.

natefostersr

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Good message i think the 8 cores will be taking over soon enough will wait for 2011 socket what do you think

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

Glad you liked my post....you are in a minority. :D Yes, I know of a lot of guys that are going to wait for the 2011 release. Like I said, there is no wrong answer as long as one stays away from the replaced 1156 socket stuff. If you want to be leading edge, from what I have read the 2011 socket stuff will get you there. I had no choice but to upgrade since my old socket 775 setup bricked on me a few days before the SB release on Jan 09. The way this new socket 1366 SB replacement setup is working out for me, I will not likely need another one again for years. BUT, we''ll see how the 2011 does....I might change my mind. :??:

Take care.

natefostersr

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
well the 2011 is the technical replacement for the high end 1366 thats what i read. sandybridge seems cool overclocks funny, not worth the upgrade yet unless your selling your old cpu to your mom or something.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

can you read the OP ?
if you like to open up your own thread or initiate discussion you more than welcome

natefostersr

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

i dont know what you mean by op however my discussion of cpu sockets has everythig to to with sandy bridge hothead

galeener

Distinguished

I answered your question saying the cpus were fine but you would have to wait for the Motherboards B3 stepping that would be out in a couple weeks. You just called everyone clowns that was trying to help you.