Sign in with
Your question

Another CPU question, regarding mobos

Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2010 1:49:52 AM

I've been looking more into the Phenom II X6 and I am seeing that there aren't a lot of mobos that support it out of the box. Flashing the bios is required in many of them. Also, I am seeing a lot of memory compatibility issues.

Does anyone know of a good mobo that supports this CPU right out of the box? I'd prefer one with the 890 chipset.
What about good memory that is compatible with said mobo? I'd like to get an 8GB kit (2x4GB) for starters, then upgrade to 16.I'd also like to be able to fit an aftermarket cpu cooler.

Better yet, does anyone run this chip? What Mobo/memory do you use? CPU cooler?

Thanks, you guys have helped a lot already.

More about : cpu question mobos

August 7, 2010 3:14:14 AM

Sounds alright, but it only carries a one year warranty when others by companies like ASUS offer a 3 year. It makes me wonder how good it is if they only back it for a year.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
August 7, 2010 4:05:36 AM

well ASrock is a lower end version of Asus, they are built by Asus

if you don't like this then are similar gigabyte mobos too
m
l
August 7, 2010 4:27:16 AM

if u r building a high end machine then don't go for asrock or similar cheap brands... try to get gigabyte, msi or asus....
m
l
a c 737 à CPUs
August 7, 2010 4:47:53 AM

Any particular reason why you want the x6. Unless keepinng the system for long time or actually making use of 6 cores, you would be better of with a c3 stepping phii x4 955.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 2:06:39 PM

rohn_avni said:
if u r building a high end machine then don't go for asrock or similar cheap brands... try to get gigabyte, msi or asus....

+1

These 3 brands are the best in mobo manufacturing.

And what will you use the PC for OP? Are you sure you need a PII X6?
m
l
August 7, 2010 4:36:36 PM

I'm want to build a system geared toward the future, one that won't require any really intensive/expensive upgrading for a few years. I want it to have some good gaming performance but it doen't need to be top of the line or cutting edge. I am looking for good Mobo that supports the x6 Cpu right out of the box as I am a bit of a noob and I am not comfortable with flashing the bios.
m
l
August 7, 2010 4:46:28 PM

I'm also hoping that someone on here uses this chip and can tell me more about a good mobo that can fit good memory along with a good cpu cooler. I've got a bit of time before I start buying parts and I want to have all of my ducks in a row first.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
August 7, 2010 4:52:55 PM

in that case i would recommend a gigabyte mobo

they are built differently than other mobos. and also x6 would be ideal
m
l
August 7, 2010 5:42:40 PM

I've been looking at several Gigabyte mobos. I'm having a hard time finding out which mobo is compatible right out of the box however. And I am also looking on tips or info on what memory works well and can fit a good cpu cooler.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
August 7, 2010 5:48:43 PM

any DDR3 dual channel memory will work with a phenom x6, and any mobo you want so don't worry about that.

what gigabyte motherboards are you looking at?
m
l
August 7, 2010 6:40:36 PM

I'm looking at ddr3 dual channel memory but I have been reading about the QVLs and compatability issues. So I'm hoping someone on here uses or has built a system with the x6 and can give me specifics on motherboards to use, what memory is good and compatible, and what cpu cooler I can fit on there. I'm hearing that alot of the AMD boards have issues with cpu coolers blocking the dimm slots or preventy certain dimms from being used because of their height.
m
l
August 7, 2010 8:18:09 PM

I'm looking at the 890FXA-UD7 and a couple other ones with the 890's and 880 chipsets. I'm Also looking at the Asus Crosshair Formula IV and the M4A89GTD Pro.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2010 12:10:50 AM

Crosshair IV Formula, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, X6 1090T and you'll never need to upgrade again for many, many years.

A lot of problems with heatsinks covering RAM slots affects Intel boards too - it's just the nature of things these days with air coolers getting so massive. It's only a problem though for RAM with tall heat spreaders or fins, like Corsair Dominator or Patriot Viper. If you get something with normal heat spreaders, like Corsair XMS, you won't have a problem.

In fact, heat spreaders seemingly are only for bling - simple RAM sticks with no spreaders perform just as well (and sometimes overclock better) as the fancy stuff (Crucial RAM is good example - search Toms for memory overclocking tests and you'll see).
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2010 10:11:48 AM

^ +1

m
l
August 8, 2010 11:19:49 AM

Awesome. I will definitely have to check that out then. I was curious about that exact point regarding memory. Does some memory that is not on the QVL work with most motherboards? Or is it better to stick with what the mobo recommmends?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2010 12:20:42 PM

The QVL is only what the motherboard manufacturer has had time to officially test - doesn't mean to say you're restricted to what they've tested.

DDR3 is DDR3 regardless of who makes it. That being said, if you have some no-name or cheap generic stick it might be incompatible because of shoddy manufacturing.

Basically stick to known named brands (of which there are many) and you'll be fine - I've NEVER had RAM actually incompatible with a motherboard before (not booting because of incorrect settings is an entirely different matter).

And in fact, purely for the aesthetics of the red and black Crosshair IV, I'd look at black or black and red RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw, Patriot Sector 5 Viper II, Corsair Dominator GT (expensive!), G.Skill Trident, Geil Black Dragon, OCZ Reaper, etc. although most of these have fins - not necessarily an issue however.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2010 1:34:19 PM

LePhuronn said:
The QVL is only what the motherboard manufacturer has had time to officially test - doesn't mean to say you're restricted to what they've tested.

DDR3 is DDR3 regardless of who makes it. That being said, if you have some no-name or cheap generic stick it might be incompatible because of shoddy manufacturing.

Basically stick to known named brands (of which there are many) and you'll be fine - I've NEVER had RAM actually incompatible with a motherboard before (not booting because of incorrect settings is an entirely different matter).

+1

I've never had issues using an name brand ram before on my motherboard. Even mixing and matching different rams (not recommended if you want the most performance), i haven't had issues.

Now i have had issues of random freeze due to MB wasn't giving enough voltage across all 4 Dimm slots with all Dimm's filled with ram but that wasn't ram it self. It was easily corrected via bios setting changes.
m
l
August 8, 2010 2:32:59 PM

I see. That makes sense. I just want to get good ram that will allow me to use a good cpu cooler. I'm not going to be overclocking but extra cooling never hurts.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2010 2:44:40 PM

OK, I can see a few options here:

If you're not overclocking, you could go for the Corsair H50 and then you don't have to worry about fins or heatspreaders on your RAM interfering.

or

If you're not overclocking then you don't have to worry about getting a stupid big air cooler, so get something a little narrower than normal to keep it out of the way of RAM slots - something like a Thermalright Ultra 120 Rev C. (or TRUE Black Rev C because of the board aesthetics) with 120mm fan. That should be narrow enough regardless of which way you mount it to avoid DIMM slots, so you again can get any RAM with fins you want.

or

Choose RAM with low/no fins on them (like Corsair XMS) so they're physically not tall enough to get in the way of a cooler overhanging the DIMM slots.
m
l
August 8, 2010 7:41:07 PM

Word, thanks for those. Good stuff. I want to get 4GB sticks of ram, starting with a total of 8GB then eventually upgrade to the 16. Any in particular I should look at?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 8, 2010 8:05:02 PM

lol don't ask me that because I've already looked and instantly went for the 16GB Corsair Dominator kit (removing the blue label on the outer stick of course) and additional red fins to match the board!

Might be easier to look around yourself, see what reviews come out favourable, what's in your price range and then come back.

I think you can get 16GB Corsair XMS3 kits too, but they have blue labels as well :p 

I'm looking at 16GB kits because I can't find (so far) 2x4GB kits.
m
l
August 8, 2010 10:14:20 PM

A 16GB kit is fine probably. I'm sure I can find a way to fit it into my budget. Thanks for all your help.
m
l
!