Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Prescott Processor

Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2010 1:53:32 AM

Hello,
I have an IBM Thinkpad G41 which has a Prescott Processor. On three separate occasions, the machine starts up and then sounds a long beep followed by two short beeps. This evidently signals a video display problem. I just got it back from a service center who replaced the system board. The problem they claim is that the machine is getting too hot and that is affecting the video card (which is really built on to the system board I am told). I have been running the computer for about 4 hours, and now it has failed again (same symptoms). While it was running, I installed the SmartFan utility to see how hot it was getting. This program reported that the CPU temp was 72 degrees celcius. That is a lot hotter than my other laptop (a thinkpad W500) which is showing 49 degrees celcius). Can anyone comfirm whether or not this Prescott processor at 72 degrees celcius is a problem? The fan seems to run close to high constantly, even when the computer isn't doing much. Really annoying because it is loud. I sure wish I could fix that!

More about : prescott processor

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 7, 2010 2:17:27 AM

yes the CPU is running really hot, 72 celsius is wicked hot

the problem is the CPU itself, it is a naturally hot CPU, not much you can do though, you have to get a laptop cooler.

good luck
August 7, 2010 4:29:29 AM

well my old Prescott used to run at 68 degrees always on load.... they r hot by nature.. ya get a cooler...
m
l
Related resources
a c 755 à CPUs
August 7, 2010 4:44:44 AM

My t7700 runs pretty hot too. I would also recommend getting the cooler.
m
l
a c 104 à CPUs
August 7, 2010 8:31:51 PM

Send it back, it is the service center's responsibility to get the laptop running, wihtout overheating. They may need to change the fan for something with a bit more oomph.
m
l
August 14, 2010 12:38:15 AM

Upendra09 said:
yes the CPU is running really hot, 72 celsius is wicked hot

the problem is the CPU itself, it is a naturally hot CPU, not much you can do though, you have to get a laptop cooler.

good luck

Thank you for the reply. Is there a laptop cooler you'd recommend? I tried one and it only reduced the temperature by about 2 degrees celcius; didnt' seem very effective.
m
l
August 14, 2010 12:38:33 AM

rohn_avni said:
well my old Prescott used to run at 68 degrees always on load.... they r hot by nature.. ya get a cooler...

Thank you for the reply. Is there a laptop cooler you'd recommend? I tried one and it only reduced the temperature by about 2 degrees celcius; didnt' seem very effective.
m
l
August 14, 2010 4:24:29 AM

Thank you for the help!
m
l
August 14, 2010 4:26:00 AM

Best answer selected by apelkey.
m
l
!