Integrated Graphics Pros and Cons?

CFTait

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Basically, I was wondering what the pros and cons are of getting a Motherboard with Integrated Graphics were. Currently, I have never had a computer with integrated graphics, except for a laptop, which I only had for a few months, then sold. I have had 4 computers so far and all had a Dedicated GPU. (6600, 7600GT, 9500GT, 4770 and now 5850.)

When I was doing my first build, they suggested that I stay away from Motherboards with Integrated Graphics, why is this? I asked why, but they didn't reply. I read somewhere, that if the Integrated Graphics fail, then you will not be able to use your Dedicated Graphics card, is this true?

All information and help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Solution
He isn't asking whether he should use a dedicated card or an IGP, he already has an HD5850. He is asking whether he should avoid motherboards that even have an IGP. The answer is still no, it's a good feature to have.

X23

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Integrated Graphics are usually slow and unstable I was using integrated graphics for a few days and I had to lower every single setting on red faction guerilla to make it playable and it was very prone to crashing and giving my video errors, even though I had the upper end as far as integrated graphics go.If there is any pros to it I guess it would be usually they don't have a fan so it runs quietly.

IGP's work fine, don't listen to X23 since they are not meant to be used for gaming (X23 if that's what you want, get a good PSU and GPU)

about a dedicated card not working if it dies, nope, it will work fine still

i would like to if you do get a discrete card after getting a motherboard with an IGP, it comes in handy if your discrete card dies

Yeah, there's no reason to avoid a motherboard because it has integrated graphics. In fact it is a good thing to have as a backup.
@X23: IGPs are not really meant for gaming and certainly not for recent games like the one you mention. Should be mostly fine for games over 3-5+ years old however, depending on the specific IGP. The current AMD ones are actually fairly decent.

X23

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010

Yes I knew it was not meant for gaming I didn't read the poster's question right and I assumed he meant for gaming, but for normal non gaming use there is no reason not have integrated graphics, it can be useful if you are prone to burning cards up like I am this way you can confirm the issue is with the video card without buying a new one right away.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Go with a dedicated one. shared means it runs off of your system's RAM and thereby takes off valuable RAM while the graphics are running. Dedicated means its separate, standalone and doesnt interefere with your RAM. for gaming purposes you need a dedicated graphics card for sure.

He isn't asking whether he should use a dedicated card or an IGP, he already has an HD5850. He is asking whether he should avoid motherboards that even have an IGP. The answer is still no, it's a good feature to have.

Solution

CFTait

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
So, in other words, if my main (5850) card dies, then I'd still be able to view things and have the integrated graphics hold me over until I get a replacement or a new card. Although, I do have quite a few other Cards lying around, (6600, 9500GT, 4770; but the 9500GT is in use in my Intel Media machine.)

Thanks guys. Maybe the people I was talking to about my first build just had a bad MB with Integrated Graphics and just blamed those. I find that Motherboards that don't have any onboard graphics are a lot more expensive than those with IGP's..... Odd.