razercultmember1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
So right now im deciding whether to buy an HDMI LCD monitor or just a DVI LCD monitor.

That will directly influence which video card I buy.

So my main question is which is better? HDMI or DVI?

I'd like to run the computer at 1680x1050, for performance reasons

Solution
AFAIK the image quality is exactly the same; the main difference is HDMI also carries sound. If you're posting here I'm guessing you're not going to be using speakers built into the monitor, so I would just get whatever card and monitor are what you're looking for in other respects, at the right price. Also, DVI-to-HDMI cables are widely available and seem to work fine.

grivo242

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
AFAIK the image quality is exactly the same; the main difference is HDMI also carries sound. If you're posting here I'm guessing you're not going to be using speakers built into the monitor, so I would just get whatever card and monitor are what you're looking for in other respects, at the right price. Also, DVI-to-HDMI cables are widely available and seem to work fine.

Solution

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Zactly what I was gonna say ... Unless you are watching BlueRay (one example) thru an HDMI and running the sound to your LCD speakers ... no real difference.

I like to buy standard HDMI cables (male<>male) and use SIIG (brand) HDMI(Female)>>DVI(Male) adapters to make the DV-I connection ... The adapters stay on the GPU connector, but the cables may be borrowed to patch temporary project configurations (in my studio).

= Al =