Motherboard Thermal Paste

stking

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I was replacing my current cpu fan with a new one i'd purchased when I accidentally poured some thermal paste off the cpu and onto my motherboard. I was just wondering if anyone knows if that could have any long term effects on the computer? And if so what would be the best way to get it off?

Thanks in advanced. Sorry also if this is in the wrong place.

boldor

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Depends on what thermal compound it is. Arctic Silver for example has materials in it which leads electricity, which will damage ur mobo. The MX-2 or the MX -3 dont, so their cool if u spill them.

Use a non static very soft toothbrush or a microfiber cloth to get rid of it.

stking

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Well the thermal paste I used was the the stuff they gave me with my Mugen 2 cpu fan...wonder if there is any way to find out if does conduct. Would I have to use any sort of liquid such as the stuff I'd use to remove the existing thermal compound along with the microfiber cloth?

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
No liquid, use alot of q-tips to carefully remove the excess.

And yeah I can't find any information on the thermal compound, perhaps you should look through the instructions included.

stking

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I had a look but it doesn't give any information about the thermal paste...hope for the best I guess. I'll give the q-tips a go, see if that'll get most of the rest off.

So using any liquid is a bad thing?