All pins sheared off smooth on Intel core 2 duo E7500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotterdid

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Has anyone ever seen ALL the pins come off of an Intel socket 775 processor??

I cant see how I could have possibly done anything wrong. I've seated several (dozen or so) processors and never had a problem with bending or breaking the pins. So, I removed my old processor, popped the new one in with the notches aligned, clamped it shut and installed the cooler. It wasn't unusually resistant when I closed the latch. Everything seemed fine. I got a processor error when I booted so I stripped it all back down. When I removed the processor, all the pins are still in the holes on the socket and the bottom of the chip is perfectly smooth and shiny! No bent pins, just NO pins period!!

I cant figure out HOW I may have caused this but my gut tells me it's something I did wrong... There probably isn't a snowball's chance in Hell that Micro Center will exchange it. To top it off, I now have to figure out how to get all those itty bitty pins out of the CPU socket or my mobo is toast as well. If I miss one or a piece of one, I can probably count on jacking up another CPU. What to do, what to do...

Any ideas??

Solution

Lol. LGA stands for land grid array. That means that there are no pins on the chip itself, just those flat gold contacts. The socket itself has these pin like protrusions though. Again though, lol

Gotterdid

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
alright, I am starting to feel pretty stupid now, but I gotta ask.... are the pins on a socket 775 intel on the processor or in the socket?? I ask because I looked at the old CPU and it has no pins either, lol.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Lol. LGA stands for land grid array. That means that there are no pins on the chip itself, just those flat gold contacts. The socket itself has these pin like protrusions though. Again though, lol

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.