scottpage7348

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my hard drive to one with a much higher capacity.

Currently, I have a Maxtor 2B020H1 ATA Device hard drive with a maximum capacity of 20gb.

Please help, if any more information is needed please ask.

Thank You

Solution
You could install a PCI SATA Controller Card. Then you should be able to use any drive up to 2TiB, provided that the card has SATA drivers for your OS.

You would still boot from your original drive, but the new drive could be used for storage.

scottpage7348

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

My motherboard is a Intel Pendleton D845PT and from a Google search I can say that this 48 bit LBA is not supported. Is there any way I can get 500+ gb for less than £50?

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
if i were you, i'd either just try an external harddrive or go with a USB or memorycard and card reader.
I am assuming that your computer at least has a USB port, but if REALLY your current computer has only 20gb, then it is really old, and I can be wrong on that too....

scottpage7348

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

It does have USB ports, but they are USB 1.0 which makes any file transfer very slow.

You could install a PCI SATA Controller Card. Then you should be able to use any drive up to 2TiB, provided that the card has SATA drivers for your OS.

You would still boot from your original drive, but the new drive could be used for storage.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you figure out how to get a HDD over 137 Gb to work in this machine, you also will need to be sure your OS can handle a drive this size. 48-bit LBA Support is needed in the OS as well as in the HDD and the HDD controller.

The original version of Win XP did NOT have this feature. It was added in Service Pack 1 and maintained after in SP2 and 3, Vista, and Win 7. So if your OS is Win XP with ANY SP installed, or later, you're OK and need not worry about your OS. But if it's original XP or older, you will need to update.