Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC is too loud

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 5, 2010 8:58:42 PM

Recently I moved my PC into the living room as part of a deal where my dad paid for the new PSU that it needed as long as I moved it downstairs so he could do his autocad.

Anyway this PC is quite loud (far louder than the Apple PC that it replaced), I don't particularly mind it but my family kind of does and also it's now used for watching TV and who wants some whiney fan while you're watching something.

Any tips on how to quieten this thing down? I don't even really know where all the noise is coming from to be honest, although I think it's the video card. I might take it out and see how loud the PC is just to test this theory, the card is a Palit GF 9800 GT 512MB btw, and the fan is quite small and fast. When I set the fan to 100% using rivatuner, it sounds like a jet engine (it also does this on startup before the video driver has loaded, I've given up trying to mod the BIOS to make this a bit more sane).

So, to quieten all this down I understand I'd need a VGA cooler, any suggestions on a good quiet one that's not too expensive? Also would you recommend getting a passively cooled one? Remember the card is often stressed to its max in games (it is the main bottleneck with 3D stuff as the CPU is a 3GHz quad core phenom II). At idle the card hovers about 45 degrees celsius with the current (palit provided) cooler so I suppose my PC must have adequate airflow (it has two 120mm fans anyway). Also another thing; if I do decide to replace the cooler would I need to get some alcohol to clean off the thermal paste? And some new thermal paste for the new cooler?

CHEERS :D 

More about : loud

a b B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2010 9:34:50 PM

Oh boy... this should be interesting... not every day someone asks for a quiet system... it's always 'more power' around here. A good break from the ordinary. :) 
Anyway, to answer your questions, no steer away from passively cooled VGA coolers with cards of that performance. Can you give us a budget of how much you're willing to spend to quiet things down a little?
June 5, 2010 10:12:27 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
Oh boy... this should be interesting... not every day someone asks for a quiet system... it's always 'more power' around here. A good break from the ordinary. :) 
Anyway, to answer your questions, no steer away from passively cooled VGA coolers with cards of that performance. Can you give us a budget of how much you're willing to spend to quiet things down a little?


Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes I thought that would be the answer - I didn't think that a passive cooler would be very good either but I just wanted to make sure. I guess my budget is under £30. If it comes to more than that I think I can live with the current noise - it's not loads of noise but it's just enough to be a bit annoying, especially when watching TV.

cheers
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2010 11:09:41 PM

Maybe you would like to see if you can find some reviews of any of the VGA coolers here.
The one I was eyeing until I saw that the price including VAT was £37 was the Scythe Musashi. I also think the Zalman VF1000-LED at £29 would be a good option.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2010 11:42:58 PM

Sounds daft, but try gently pushing the middle of your fan down, it will reseat it on the bearings and can help quieten it down.
I do mine regularly and I have no noise issues at all, even with 18 fans in the case :) 
If you replace the cooler then yes, clean the old goop off with a cotton bud (Careful to not lose any lint in there) and use new stuff when you put the new cooler on
Hope it helps some, and that the new psu was worth it :p 
Moto
June 6, 2010 10:43:40 AM

Silvune said:
Maybe you would like to see if you can find some reviews of any of the VGA coolers here.
The one I was eyeing until I saw that the price including VAT was £37 was the Scythe Musashi. I also think the Zalman VF1000-LED at £29 would be a good option.


Funnily enough I was just looking at the scythe musashi aswell, it looks extremely good, not just because it has great cooling performance and is as quiet as you want, but because it would get rid of the problem that's been plaguing this PC ever since I got the palit card - the fan is controlled by the video BIOS which decides to put it at 100% unless there's a driver controlling it. I'm actually pretty settled on that at the moment, as I've read tonnes of great reviews of it :) 

Motopsychojdn said:
Sounds daft, but try gently pushing the middle of your fan down, it will reseat it on the bearings and can help quieten it down.
I do mine regularly and I have no noise issues at all, even with 18 fans in the case :) 
If you replace the cooler then yes, clean the old goop off with a cotton bud (Careful to not lose any lint in there) and use new stuff when you put the new cooler on
Hope it helps some, and that the new psu was worth it :p 
Moto


OK, well I know the fan in this is pretty loud because it always has been, and also it's pretty small so it makes sense that it's loud. So if I get the cooler should I also get some TIM cleaner to get the old stuff off? What do you mean by losing lint? Also, as a matter of curiosity would you recommend using distilled 85% alcohol instead of the TIM cleaner? Or would I have to mix it with water or something? Remember I'm a noob at all this - the three CPUs that I've installed coolers on all had pre-applied thermal paste, and I've never replaced a GPU cooler.

By the way, the new PSU wasn't just worth it - it was required. The old one couldn't handle my system and blew one day. The new one's so much better (it's a corsair, vs. a thermaltake budget one).

cheers
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2010 10:59:08 AM

If you have bought tmi cleaner use that, otherwise yeah, something with at least 90% alcohol content ( on its own, DO NOT Mix with water!) would also do.
There should be some threads on Toms about applying new thermal paste idd

Lint is what cotton buds shed, just odd fibres but not something you want in your pc if you can help it, its just that Americans on here will say Q-tips, which is what they call them so I thought Id use a phrase you were familiar with :) 
glad the psu was worth the inconvenience man :) 
Moto
June 6, 2010 11:43:14 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
If you have bought tmi cleaner use that, otherwise yeah, something with at least 90% alcohol content ( on its own, DO NOT Mix with water!) would also do.
There should be some threads on Toms about applying new thermal paste idd

Lint is what cotton buds shed, just odd fibres but not something you want in your pc if you can help it, its just that Americans on here will say Q-tips, which is what they call them so I thought Id use a phrase you were familiar with :) 
glad the psu was worth the inconvenience man :) 
Moto


OK, well the stuff I have is only 85% and contains water so I'll get some TIM cleaner when I get the cooler (it's only a fiver). Lol, funny thing is I knew what a Q-tip was but not its british counterpart :pt1cable: 

The PSU didn't really cause the inconvenience, I've been wanting a quiter PC for ages anyway.
cheers
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2010 12:07:25 PM

np man, Gl with it and have fun,
Moto
June 7, 2010 10:41:36 AM

OK status update: I just cleaned out the dust in the current fan and it's a hell of alot quieter now, I must have forgotten how quiet it used to be! So now I'm contemplating on whether to get a cooler at all....anyway thanks a bunch for all the help I now know alot more about GPU cooling :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2010 11:09:58 AM

Tell your dad the PC is loud due to its card and that in order for you to make it silent he will need to fork out $300 for a 5850 :D 
June 8, 2010 7:01:34 PM

asteldian said:
Tell your dad the PC is loud due to its card and that in order for you to make it silent he will need to fork out $300 for a 5850 :D 


I don't have the sort of parents that would do that sort of thing (I didn't use any of their money to buy the parts for my PC) :) 

Plus a 9800GT is fine, more != better :) 
!