Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Newbie question: fans running

Last response: in Components
August 7, 2010 7:57:37 AM

Hi guys,

So I built my first PC in over a decade and I have a question.

My case is the Antec Three Hundred. There's a fan in back, one on top and two in the front.

Despite lighting up and doing an initial spin on boot, I've never seen the top and 2 front fans spinning. I was just playing Dragon Age: Origin and the back fan was chugging along but the other 3 were just sitting there.

Wondering what exactly I'm missing here. Were they just not needed or do I need software or bios adjustment or?

My MoBo is a GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 and I'm running Win 7 64-bit with a Antec 500w PSU.

Thanks. :) 

a c 1178 ) Power supply
August 7, 2010 8:17:29 AM

What kind of connector is on the fans that aren't operating? Are they connected to fan headers on the motherboard? Are they connected to a molex power connector from the power supply? Are they connected to anything at all?
m
l
August 7, 2010 8:33:27 AM

All the fans (including one I see running) are connected to the power supply connectors. And all power up with their lighting on.

Don't know if I need to disable smart fan in bios or something. Maybe they just haven't been needed yet according to bios.
???

m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 7, 2010 8:39:21 AM

if they're all connected to the power supply and chained together, that is the 'molex setup' that Ko888 was talking about above.

Firstly, make sure you chained them together correctly. From power supply, into the first one 4pin, then go down the line. Also make sure they're all well connected, the pins inside those love to bend/break
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 7, 2010 8:39:54 AM

test them one at a time ot make sure they all work. if they work fine 1 at a time, but then dont work when you plug them all in, most likely you're chain is disrupted somewhere
m
l
August 7, 2010 8:41:44 AM

Okay, but a dumb question. If I didn't connect them up right, why do they light up?

I'll power down now and change it up to see what happens.
m
l
August 7, 2010 8:52:50 AM

Sigh. False alarm. With the lighting and design it only looks like they aren't working. :( 

All 4 fans are spinning. Sorry bout that.

BTW, is there a good program to download that shows vital system info like fans, temp, etc?
m
l
a c 1178 ) Power supply
August 7, 2010 8:53:43 AM

Is the switch for the fan speed setting control for the top exhaust fan set to high?
m
l

Best solution

a c 1178 ) Power supply
August 7, 2010 9:05:34 AM

I use CPUID Hardware Monitor.

My case is a SilverStone Temjin TJ10 ESA Edition that allows me to control the speed of each of the five 120mm LED case fans through software.

Hardware Monitor is also able to monitor the speed of each of those five case fans.
August 7, 2010 11:14:24 AM

Capitalist said:
All the fans (including one I see running) are connected to the power supply connectors. And all power up with their lighting on.

Don't know if I need to disable smart fan in bios or something. Maybe they just haven't been needed yet according to bios.
???

smart fan will not control the fan's those r directly connected through smps pins...
m
l
August 14, 2010 12:38:12 AM

Best answer selected by Capitalist.
m
l
!