Sign in with
Your question

5870 Crossfire...Screen flicker (large to small picture)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2010 1:55:03 AM

So i just recently received my 2 XFX 5870s. I bought them used on Ebay, they were apparently the best overclockers out of a lot of 30 cards. 950 Core, 1225 Mem @ 1.25V on air. Enough with the useless info, onto the problem.

I installed the cards properly with only one crossfire bride and the correct power connections. I have 3 monitors for eyefinity, but i'm just trying to get one working for now just for benchmarks sake.

Whenever I launch most any/all games the screen will flicker back and forth between a full screen picture and a smaller downsized picture. I've read up trying to find a solution but the best I came up with is to disable Catalyst AI, but that disables the use of multiple GPUs which completely defeats the purpose of crossfire. I also heard this is some kind of scaling issue.

Anybody care to add any input?
May 2, 2010 3:38:13 PM

Would the cards work if they were by themselves? I would try to download Catalyst 10.4 along with that.
m
l
May 3, 2010 1:54:49 AM

after further investigation...

I've found that using eyefinity fixes all problems. Perhaps it's being caused by unused monitors being plugged in.

It still did it even with 10.4.
m
l
May 6, 2010 7:02:13 AM

Well unfortunately, the problem still persists...

If I want to play a game that doesn't support super wide screen, I would have to use regular 1920x1080. Only problem with that is that it does that stupid flickering.

Is the only fix not using 2 GPUs in a game? IE turning off catalyst AI. I'm also using 10.4 and it doesn't work.
m
l
May 6, 2010 3:38:28 PM

It may be the overclock. Try going back to default 850/1200 and see if the problem continues. I am having a similar problem while overclocking/underclocking my 5870. Although my problems happen because of the idle clocks ( for mine is 400/1200 ), when overclocking/underclocking it makes my card idle at 157/300 which is too low for two monitors and causes the half screen ( looks like a window all the way across the screen ) to flicker.
m
l
!