Corsair TX950W PSU cannot boot HP e9150t - confused...

shering

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Recently, I brought a GTX 480 card and then decided to replace the original 460W PSU in my HP e9150t with a Corsair TX950W PSU.

Unfortunately, it does not work. I'm confused as I've installed tens of PCs so far and I never see any incompatibility issue of PSU.

The details:

1. I removed any the power wires of the 460W one.

2. I installed the 950W PSU correctly, but the machine does not go to POST successfully, no beep, no monitor signal. The rear fan spins up, hard disk spins up, and everything looks fine, but the power is automatically cut off after 10 seconds, and then the system gets a reboot. Such a cycle, again and again.

3. To eliminate any chance of one peripherals causing problems, I only connect the 24 and 4-pin connectors and boot, no change, fail to POST. No beep, no signal on the monitor.

4. I change back to 460W PSU, everything works fine.

5. It seems to me that HP does not like Corsair PSU.

Any comment? I heard that HP does not use the standard ATX2.x. Is that true? So pathetic if the answer is yes....

shering

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010

I'll try this PSU on other machines tomorrow. Later tonight, I tried to use the 24 and 4-pin from the original 460W PSU to boot the machine, and use the Corsair 950W PSU to power all the peripherals (of course, i short connect the green pin of the 24-pin connector to the ground so that the PSU "thinks" it is connected to a working MB). Everything looks fine, and I even played 2-hour GTA4...

However, as long as I use the 24 and 4-pin from the 950W PSU, it simply does not work...

shering

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I tried my new 950W PSU on another machine this morning, worked totally fine.

I found another thread talking about the exact same issue I'm encountering here.
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=81150

The machine boots up briefly, shuts down, boots up again, shuts down, several cycles after, it does not shut down, but fan spins at the highest speed, no monitor signal during the entire procedure, no alarm beep either.

shering

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Another thread complaining about the same issue. 850W PSU does not work on this mobo. Rebooting every 30 seconds...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289708-33-help-upgrading-hardware-pegatron-truckee-ul8e

HP said this mobo only supports up to 600W PSU. It seems that this spec is true, although I don't know why such a constraint is applied as I always think PSU only supplies the required power on-demand.

Is there any current sensor on this mobo? Or it is simply because of the sucky BIOS?

shering

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I updated the BIOS to the latest one, but nothing changed... I dont know whether I should buy a new MOBO or replace my 950W PSU to something like 600W. A little upset by the HP product...