~$1000 Business PC, Advice Needed!

Thumpy

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
First off Thanks for any advice!

Approx Purchase Date: As soon as possible
Budget: Would like to be around $1000 but a little more is fine for the right machine.
System Usage: This computer will be mainly a business PC, here is stuff to focus on.

Ok first off i would like to buy a computer i can get more then 2 years out of. This said, i want something that I has a solid base for upgradeing around if needed.

In sum, i need reccomendations for parts to make generally a business computer that would focus on...
1. No wait time when i am working with multiple large files at the same time. (Processor and Hardrive reccomendations (SSD maybe?))
2. I also want maximum internet speed, fast download and upload times, no studder with email/websites/videos(online and off).
3. As mentioned above i dont want any video studder if i put a DVD in.
4. 21" Monitor with high resolution (1900x1080 or 1900x1200)
5. I would like to dabble in some games, just to keep that in mind. Nothing hardcore.

If you need any more info, please let me know as far as useage.

Preferred Websites: Probably Newegg.com (USA)

Parts Preferences: None really, just so all the parts work with each other (duh ;) )

Overclocking: No

Additional Commets: This is going to be mainly a business computer, so nothing flashy or noisey. I do not want LEDs everywhere. I know i am kind of asking for a lot but a FULL computer build would be great. Cases, CPU, Power supple, graphics, processor, ram, ethernet card, monitor, motherboard, CD/DVD drives, etc ... I can put all the peices together.

Thanks again,
Will

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Can you tell us exactly what kinds of programs you will be using? Because really any amd 955, i5, i7 or maybe even some rana X3s can do what you are asking for. That and a +ssd ofcourse.

2. Most mobos come with gigabite ethernet now so that's a given.

3. Dvd is very minimal in cpu processing :).

4. standard monitor resolution no big deal.

5. Can always throw in a simple 5750 or what not.

Thumpy

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Ok, good info, thanks you!

Im hopeing somone can help me with a little bit more specifics parts.

The budget is very flexable, $1000 is just a number to ballpark.

Im thinking i5 or i7 (differences?)
DDR3 mobo/Ram (reccomendations of a good combo)
And to answer your earlier question, it will be used to large coroporation microsoft office programs(word, xcel, powerpoint) and some data analysis programs.

It will be used a lot for business related stuff, but i do not want to be slowed down if i want to zip through some family photos, or upload or download any big internet files.

Any reccomendations from the newegg site are appreciated.

Again, i want this computer to last for a while, 5 years too absurd?

Thanks,
Will

epkfaile

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
you probably want i5, the i7 is more for enthusiast, with stuff like 980x. the main diffrences i see are that i7 has hyperthreading on quad cores, tri channel memory, and more pcie lanes. i dont think any of these you need, and the i5 750 has similar performance to an i7. and i dont think 5 years is too much, espically since youre using it mainly for web browsing and files, not games. but you said that you are working with large files, so an ssd might not cut it in terms of size, so you either need a really expensive ssd or a fast hdd. the fastest should be a WD velociraptor, but those cost around 300, or you could choose a slower 1tb drive or around 100. its your choice. and your wallet XD

Thumpy

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
I guess what i am trying to say when i say "dabble" is that i would like my PC to run games ok, but not my main use.

Anyone reccomend some quality parts? Really help me build this machine? I can put a computer together just fine, and from my understanding if i buy all the peices i can get a much better machine for the same price as say going to BestBuy.

Good motherboard + processor + ram combo?

Frankly to summarise your needs/wants and my proposed solutions:

1. Get a high speed broadband connection to your office : the h/w on your rig is irrelevant if the connection speed sucks lol

2. Err Office/Word processing/Data Anaysis: frankly you could make do with

AthlonII X4 630 - PhenomII X4 925
785G-880G IGP chipset
500-1TB storage
300-400 80+ certified PSU
50-80 GB SSD (optional)

Actually i do lots of these for peeps and can even make do in small footprint casings if office space is at a premium hehe