Sign in with
Your question

Move windows 7 to new SSD?

Last response: in Storage
July 26, 2012 11:18:54 PM

Question, I would like to move my Windows 7 to my new SSD and make it my C drive, leaving everything else on my old C drive which would then be D.
My thinking in this is I only want Windows on my new SSD, and not cluttered with every other program I have on the old drive (Photo Shop..Etc.) Will this work? Or do I need to move all programs for them to work, since they already think they are on C drive, and making C a D drive would only confuse my programs? AND if I haven't completely confused everyone with my wording of this this question. Thanks for any help!!
Sean

More about : move windows ssd

a c 395 $ Windows 7
a c 181 G Storage
July 26, 2012 11:49:26 PM

Backup important data and format old drive ,then do a clean install with just the SSD attached.Once windows is installed reattach the other hdd.
July 27, 2012 12:04:53 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Backup important data and format old drive ,then do a clean install with just the SSD attached.Once windows is installed reattach the other hdd.

OK, backup my old C drive to my D drive (Wich will turn into E), format old C, plug in ssd (wich is now C), start it up then move my backup files off of old E to new D?
WOW I just confused myself, but makes sense, sorta, im probably just confusing myself.
My OTHER question is, can I then go into my old drive and delet windows to free up room, sense I will have windows on SSD?
Or should I just dish out some cash and have someone do this for me?
Thanks for the quick reply!

Related resources
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a c 181 G Storage
July 27, 2012 12:09:25 AM

Format it after you do your backup of the important things you need.Take it out,then put the ssd in and install windows.Then reconnect your old drive and reinstall your software.
July 27, 2012 12:15:20 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Format it after you do your backup of the important things you need.Take it out,then put the ssd in and install windows.Then reconnect your old drive and reinstall your software.

Ohhh so I can just select the files I want backed up? Ok I thought I had to backup the whole hard drive. If im understanding you, this should work like a peice of cake! Thanks for the info!
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a c 181 G Storage
July 27, 2012 1:15:03 AM

Keep us posted.
!