Solved

$1100 (turned into $1300 due to SSD) AMD Gaming Rig

Hello all!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Today, Sunday or Monday latest. BUDGET RANGE: $1100 After Rebates. Can break this, but I start feeling guilty. :D

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:gaming, streaming video, surfing the internet, MS Office

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

My case is a Thermaltake (OLD!) Xaser III with 5 fans. Will upgrade later...
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=thermaltake+xaser+iii&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8687385633712923234&ei=i98KTML2N4bWNe6uobYE&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCsQ8wIwAg#

power supply (listed in case it will work) Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16817153007

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would like to use an AMD CPU and possibly ASUS, but found a ASRock mobo

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1289x768 (naitive on NEC LCD4000 display) I am not locked into this display, but use it for streaming video.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I keep looking and changing my mind. It has been about 5 years since my last build... I wanted a solid state drive, but kept opting out of it for a better video card. Want another 4MB of RAM, but out of range on this build (how important is it???)

Current wishlist:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157196

ASUS EAH5850 DIRECTCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121375

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106335

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Rosewill 18" Serial ATA II cable with metal latch, Model RC-18”-SA2-BK, Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119230

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

:na:
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1100 turned 1300 gaming
  1. Change to the newer C3 MBox version of the Phenom II X4 as it has a much better choice of combo deals. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

    You don't need 8GB of RAM for gaming, office or surfing, not so sure about streaming video tho.

    You don't really need the thermal paste unless you're going to buy an aftermarket heatsink.

    PCI-E lanes at dual x8 only really begin to bottleneck 5870s, so you could spend less on a mobo without dual x16.

    A good 650W PSU will be plenty for two 5850s, unless perhaps you OC them quite a lot.
  2. Silvune said:
    Change to the newer C3 MBox version of the Phenom II X4 as it has a much better choice of combo deals. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

    You don't need 8GB of RAM for gaming, office or surfing, not so sure about streaming video tho.

    You don't really need the thermal paste unless you're going to buy an aftermarket heatsink.

    PCI-E lanes at dual x8 only really begin to bottleneck 5870s, so you could spend less on a mobo without dual x16.

    A good 650W PSU will be plenty for two 5850s, unless perhaps you OC them quite a lot.


    Thanks for the reply!

    I changed the MBox. I have to check the combos...

    Do you have a suggestion on the mobo?

    Going to look at the price savings ont he PSU...

    Thanks again!
  3. if you will be doing some overclock then you might want to get a after market heatsink and then oyu will need the thermal paste

    save your money and just get a 650w PSU and choose from corsair, antec and seasonic

    you don't need more then 4g of ram and just made that mistake not too long ago and went 8g and don't even see a diff

    SSD is a good idea if you can spend hte money on it...the best in the market right now is intel x25m line, i would go for the 80g and put your OS and main programs in it...this will make a huge diff in your load time. Another good brand would be OCZ vertex and agility line...little bit cheaper. I would get it when you build as you don't need to whipe your drives later on when you upgrade. Your HDD is good also look into Samsung Spinpoint F3 as they are the best right now for speed and noise.

    i never had a mobo from asrock so can't comment on them...but most ppl tend to go for gigabyte or asus mobo...gigabyte being better for overclocking...one suggestion would be that you check your manufacturer website to make sure your ram is compatible with the board as i haf problems with setting my OCZ ram to do the right voltage and timings.

    for ram corsair tends to be a bit over priced so i would look into gskill...they make good rams.
  4. Jacks_85 said:
    if you will be doing some overclock then you might want to get a after market heatsink and then oyu will need the thermal paste

    save your money and just get a 650w PSU and choose from corsair, antec and seasonic

    you don't need more then 4g of ram and just made that mistake not too long ago and went 8g and don't even see a diff

    SSD is a good idea if you can spend hte money on it...the best in the market right now is intel x25m line, i would go for the 80g and put your OS and main programs in it...this will make a huge diff in your load time. Another good brand would be OCZ vertex and agility line...little bit cheaper. I would get it when you build as you don't need to whipe your drives later on when you upgrade. Your HDD is good also look into Samsung Spinpoint F3 as they are the best right now for speed and noise.

    i never had a mobo from asrock so can't comment on them...but most ppl tend to go for gigabyte or asus mobo...gigabyte being better for overclocking...one suggestion would be that you check your manufacturer website to make sure your ram is compatible with the board as i haf problems with setting my OCZ ram to do the right voltage and timings.

    for ram corsair tends to be a bit over priced so i would look into gskill...they make good rams.


    Okay... made some changes. Still shopping. I added a case due to the combo on the 650w Antec PS combo. Still have not pulled the trigger on the SSD!

    Thanks for the post!
  5. it is hard to jump into it as it is not a cheaper item but youtube it...i know there are some videos on SSD and you can see people boot times and load of programs.
  6. Best answer
    This is a good one: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 $140.
    SSDs atm rarely break SATA II bandwidth, so if you get one now then you could get an older 700 series chipset. If you want the option to add one next year or so, then they will be much more likely to bottlenecked by SATA 3Gbps, so a mobo with SATA 6Gbps would be a good idea for that scenario.

    I wouldn't worry too much about non-OCZ and 4GB of RAM being compatible with mobos. OCZ are pretty notorious for having difficult RAM atm. And I'm assuming that you're going for the rebate on that Corsair set, in which case it's hard to beat, altho you should check out the other sets that come to $100-$105 after rebate.

    Quote:
    I added a case due to the combo on the 650w Antec PS combo.
    If you're talking about the Earthwatts 650, then I'm afraid it only has about 550 watts on the 12V rails, it could probably do more, but I think it's better to get one that can do almost all of it's rated power on the 12V. So I wouldn't recommend it. If it's a Truepower then it's perfect.

    Another good 650W PSU is from XFX, altho it is a similar price to the 850TX after rebate... I meant to mention that the saving over a rebated 850TX wouldn't be that great from getting a 650W PSU (the better ones that are around $100), altho in a way it's good that you don't have to rely on a rebate to get a lower price.
  7. Why not the TX650 from Corsair?
  8. Silvune said:
    This is a good one: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 $140.
    SSDs atm rarely break SATA II bandwidth, so if you get one now then you could get an older 700 series chipset. If you want the option to add one next year or so, then they will be much more likely to bottlenecked by SATA 3Gbps, so a mobo with SATA 6Gbps would be a good idea for that scenario.

    I wouldn't worry too much about non-OCZ and 4GB of RAM being compatible with mobos. OCZ are pretty notorious for having difficult RAM atm. And I'm assuming that you're going for the rebate on that Corsair set, in which case it's hard to beat, altho you should check out the other sets that come to $100-$105 after rebate.

    Quote:
    I added a case due to the combo on the 650w Antec PS combo.
    If you're talking about the Earthwatts 650, then I'm afraid it only has about 550 watts on the 12V rails, it could probably do more, but I think it's better to get one that can do almost all of it's rated power on the 12V. So I wouldn't recommend it. If it's a Truepower then it's perfect.

    Another good 650W PSU is from XFX, altho it is a similar price to the 850TX after rebate... I meant to mention that the saving over a rebated 850TX wouldn't be that great from getting a 650W PSU (the better ones that are around $100), altho in a way it's good that you don't have to rely on a rebate to get a lower price.


    Thank you for catching the power supply problem! Really good info there.


    I'll post the new system below. It has changed a bit.
  9. Here we go...

    mobo and power supply combo $259.98 - $10 rebate

    CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.418897

    ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.418897

    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX $159.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

    CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 $134.99 - $25 rebate
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145285

    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive and cable $84.28
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.409800

    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $99

    LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support $25.99

    That Asus EAH5850 card went out of stock. :( Suggestions? How about:

    SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity $294.95
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102884

    Sitting at $1075.57 shipped.

    $1306.49 with the intel 80GB SSD...

    I keep wondering if I should buy a new case as well.

    Main issue for me now is that Sapphire card. What do you guys think?

    Thanks again!
  10. Well Sapphire are a good brand and it has a nice large fan, but you can save ~$30 getting this combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.407290 $425 Nothing wrong with HIS either.
  11. Silvune said:
    Well Sapphire are a good brand and it has a nice large fan, but you can save ~$30 getting this combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.407290 $425 Nothing wrong with HIS either.


    Awesome!

    The more I think about it, I should buy a Coolermaster Hyper 212 + (or the like) now instead of later... you just saved me 30 bucks!

    Off to flip coins to decide the SSD...
  12. well TTMC if you can afford it now get it b/c then you don't need to whip your HDD later to setup for SSD b/c all you are going to be putting there is OS and major programs.

    but if you wait you might be able to save some money as they may drop in price later this year...but by that time would you want a old SSD
  13. The Asus EAH5850 card is the best overclocking 5850 if your going to do that, all the other I read had problems boosting the voltage to get to or over 1k core clock. I could be wrong but thats what ive read, someone correct me if im wrong.
  14. One of my favourite air coolers is the Scythe Mugen 2 in terms of thermal and acoustic performance.

    Personally I don't think SSDs are worth having yet, unless it can increase your productivity and you use your computer to make a living. Or if you're likely to get health problems from waiting for things to load up. lol. Also atm the most reliable one is the Intel X25-M line, which has poor writing speeds. Sandforce SSDs have very high and consistent performance in all scenarios, but as they are much newer they are still likely to have kinks to be ironed out. And they are quite expensive. As there will be a die shrink for SSDs this year (down to 25nm I believe), then next year there should be much more consistent performing SSDs at lower prices, maybe even with higher capacity then with comparable drives today.

    Yea the Asus EAH5850 allows you to adjust the voltage.
  15. Best answer selected by TTMC.
  16. The deal is done!

    I'll have to rename the title to $1300 AMD gaming rig... I decided to buy the stupid SSD. :pt1cable:

    Other notable departures:

    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
    I didn't need the modular connectors and some folks didn't like them due to fit and durability.

    HIS H585FN1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161330
    I wanted the ASUS. It went out of stock. I looked at a few other places as well. I regret the lack of overclockability in this card, but I didn't plan on overclocking the video card right off the bat. Still kinda regret this, but it will be a solid card.

    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197
    Went for the case. I save a bunch of money on combos... I didn't have great cooling perfromance from the Xaser despite all of its fans. I think this will work out better when I decide to overclock the CPU.

    Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167023

    I bought a Hyper 212 Plus because I didn't want to take the mobo out later to install an aftermarket cooler. I would have gone with the Scythe Mugen 2 if I would have read your post first, Silvune. I think you are also probably correct about how much I need a SSD. Oh well... I have wasted more money on TOTALLY useless things before. :D

    $1310.65 shipped after rebates!

    I would have been under budget if not for the SSD.

    Thanks for all the help! Everything should be here Wednesday. I should be playing BF on Thursday!
  17. Well... excited as hell because I got MOST of my components today!

    No CPU cooler and no RAM. :fou:

    I have fondled all of the pieces. It looks as if I should wait to install the mobo after I get the cooler bracket installed as the hole in the CM 922 isn't quite large enough. I think I could get it to work with the mobo installed, but is it worth the hassle?

    Lemme know! I want to start routing cables!!! :love:

    I'd be installing the O/S now... sigh.

    :hello:
  18. You can OC cards without voltage control, just a bit harder to get the clocks up as high.

    The HAF 922 is a very nice case, and will help out with all your temps.

    You will probably feel like the SSD was well worth it with lightning fast boot ups and loading.

    Feel like posting pics of it when you're done? It would be cool to see it setup.

    Installing the CPU Cooler on the mobo outside the case is the standard way to do it when there isn't a window.
  19. I want my RAM! It is sitting at UPS 15 minutes away since yesterday. Apparently NEWEGG has a contract with UPS that they must attempt delivery one time prior to the customer picking up at the UPS customer center.

    The worst part of this build was attempting to put the cover on. I spent about 15 minutes (getting pissed) until I realised that I put the screws back in the holes when I took the case apart... lol :pfff:

    I wish I had a stick of DDR3 right now... I don't feel like messing with the cables anymore. :bounce:




  20. wow looks sweet! good cable management
  21. Jacks_85 said:
    wow looks sweet! good cable management



    Thanks! I had to redeem myself from my last build. If I feel brave I'll post a picture. If there was a contest for the absolute worst cable management ever it would win easily. It looks like I ran random cables across the window just because. LOL!

    Cases and power supplies have come a long way. I was amazed at how easy it was to hide all the cables. My only worry now is the RAM. I used a stick of DDR2 to test fit and it was a real PITA to get it in the slot because of the cooler. If the DDR3 is much bigger I will have to use the "less ideal for overclocking" slots in the mobo... that I would have been using if I bought more RAM anyway, so prolly not a big deal.

    11 more hours till UPS. [:fisshy:2]
  22. I'm echoing what jack said, fantastic cable management. My first attempt is definitely not as good as it could be, hopefully my next one will be as good as that.
  23. Well... I am happy with the SSD! I'm happy with everything!

    I have had some issues with BIOS. There are more settings in there since my last build. I OC'd automatically and manually. I don't understand the offset crap for CPU voltage. Why can't I just type in the voltage I want it to run?!?!? I'm back at stock now. I have had no issues with heat. Top temp so far was 43 and that was OC'd to 3.6ish.

    Thaks for all the help!

    :D
  24. 43 is not bad at all
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product